Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Hotel in Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2015, 12:46 am

I tend not to use the term "luxury" that much anyway. In Seoul it is definitely a relative term.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:04 am

Four Seasons Seoul opens 15 October. Anyone know what the location is like? They say that Gwanghwamun is in the heart of everything....
Old Aug 4, 2015, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Four Seasons Seoul opens 15 October. Anyone know what the location is like? They say that Gwanghwamun is in the heart of everything....
Pretty good. Very close to Gyeongbukgung palace, Myeongdong and Deoksugung about 10 mins away, Seoul's MOMA, quaint Samchungdong (a cafe, art gallery area). The area is really busy at rush hours though and you can sit in a taxi stuck going nowhere.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:25 pm

four Seasons Seoul looks very nice. It should definitely raise the bar for hotels in the city. I will definitely choose it over PH/GH on my next trip.

Location seems very good, I am familiar with that area.
Old Aug 4, 2015, 11:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
four Seasons Seoul looks very nice. It should definitely raise the bar for hotels in the city. I will definitely choose it over PH/GH on my next trip.

Location seems very good, I am familiar with that area.
I'll be very curious to see how well their rooms are soundproofed. Hopefully better than the glass menagerie in PH. The location is great for State department officials who need to be at the US embassy. Just walk across the street but horrible for anyone whose company is based in Gangnam. It will probably be replacing GH as my Seoul go-to hotel.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I'll be very curious to see how well their rooms are soundproofed. Hopefully better than the glass menagerie in PH. The location is great for State department officials who need to be at the US embassy. Just walk across the street but horrible for anyone whose company is based in Gangnam. It will probably be replacing GH as my Seoul go-to hotel.
My visits to Seoul are for leisure, so I definitely think the FS location is better than the PH's. I like the location of the GH best, but the quality of FS could trump that for me.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My visits to Seoul are for leisure, so I definitely think the FS location is better than the PH's. I like the location of the GH best, but the quality of FS could trump that for me.
PH is just bad overall. They couldn't have put in a more obscure building with no driveway presence whatsoever. No self parking for POVs and minimal signage makes it a hassle to explain to taxi drivers. I drive, so, GH always wins for me. A lot of people on here hate GH but it's great for what it is.

Will drive to FS but I anticipate gridlock hell and one bumpy ride with all the cobblestones on Sejeong Avenue. A very great place for leisure and tourists. Close to a subway and a short taxi ride/walk from everything else.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 1:33 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
PH is just bad overall. They couldn't have put in a more obscure building with no driveway presence whatsoever. No self parking for POVs and minimal signage makes it a hassle to explain to taxi drivers. I drive, so, GH always wins for me. A lot of people on here hate GH but it's great for what it is.

Will drive to FS but I anticipate gridlock hell and one bumpy ride with all the cobblestones on Sejeong Avenue. A very great place for leisure and tourists. Close to a subway and a short taxi ride/walk from everything else.
I couldn't figure out how to enter the PH the first time I arrived.

GH has great facilities such as outdoor swimming pool, tennis courts, and skating rink in winter. Also great views and F&B. I think it is a solid four star option and one of the best hotels in the city.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:13 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
I've stayed at the GH, PH and Conrad. The GH is good by the standards of its brand. Conrad (stayed there Monday night) has moved a but the wrong way. PH is nice but uninspired.

Really looking forward to the FS offering.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I couldn't figure out how to enter the PH the first time I arrived.

GH has great facilities such as outdoor swimming pool, tennis courts, and skating rink in winter. Also great views and F&B. I think it is a solid four star option and one of the best hotels in the city.
What turns me off about PH (minus switching elevators, signage, etc) is the standoff-ish Gangnam attitude they have. This is from the spa front desk people to the front desk staff. Like I was so lucky to be able to stay at their hotel and they were too good to check for a spa appointment time.

re GH:
Coming from someone as traveled as yourself. That's some high praise for GH Seoul.

Originally Posted by NYBanker
I've stayed at the GH, PH and Conrad. The GH is good by the standards of its brand. Conrad (stayed there Monday night) has moved a but the wrong way. PH is nice but uninspired.

Really looking forward to the FS offering.
Conrad just feels...cheap to me. The rooms cost a pretty penny, the building looks fancy and obsidian shiny but doesn't feel opulent. They're maybe two years old but already fraying at the edges. Uneven finishes too.

PH is okay but you're right that is lackluster. It is a boutique style luxury hotel but it doesn't inspire or wow. Not like PH Tokyo, Shanghai or even Busan.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 5, 2015 at 3:51 am
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:49 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
The GH has the broadest set dining options of any hotel I've every stayed at.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYBanker
The GH has the broadest set dining options of any hotel I've every stayed at.
FS is going to top them. Doing everything from Korean food to sushi to Italian, Chinese and the requisite international buffet. I'm actually looking forward to F&B there. The latest F&B offerings at Conrad and JW Marriott were underwhelming.
Old Aug 11, 2015, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Updates from Seoul:

- GH's Chinese restaurant was closed down and temporarily serves as a Grand Club lounge for all the summer packages they sold.
- PH's service levels have gone up since I last came here
- Light sleepers beware as PH's front glass is thin and the building gets bombarded by Gangnam traffic at all hours of the day.

Last edited by Aventine; Aug 11, 2015 at 6:25 pm
Old Sep 8, 2015, 2:10 pm

Programs: UA:1K MM, AF:FB-Platinum; QR: PC Platinum, FI: Saga Gold
Shilla - Charging extra for access to gym and pool

I'll be returning to the Shilla later this month. I will be with people who place great weight on the quality of the fitness center. I remember reading that the Shilla was to have the best in Seoul. My travel companions, however, said that TripAdvisor says it's a membership only fitness center and hotel guests are charged a fortune for the privilege of access. Can anyone confirm?
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Braniff
I'll be returning to the Shilla later this month. I will be with people who place great weight on the quality of the fitness center. I remember reading that the Shilla was to have the best in Seoul. My travel companions, however, said that TripAdvisor says it's a membership only fitness center and hotel guests are charged a fortune for the privilege of access. Can anyone confirm?
I know Shilla charges for sauna and outdoor Urban Island swimming pool ($100 per adult and $70 for a kid) but not sure about the fitness center. I wouldn't be surprised though because it was redone and partnered with Sitaras from New York. Gotta recoup that renovation cost somewhere.

GH Seoul's is also 24 hours for the fitness center. Not as big as Shilla but one of the better ones in the city.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 16, 2015 at 1:15 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.