Best Hotel in Seoul

Old Oct 28, 09, 3:56 pm
Original Poster

Best Hotel in Seoul

Opinions on the best these days are appreciated...

I have stayed at The Shilla most recently but the rooms are very tired. Public spaces and service are excellent.

The Park Hyatt I find too modern and the service sub-par. Takes me 10 minutes to figure out how to turn out the lights.

Grand Hyatt-Rooms too small and nothing special.

I am thinking about returning to the Ritz Carlton. I have heard the rooms have now been renovated. Has anyone stayed there recently?
Old Oct 28, 09, 7:11 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: QF SG, LH SEN, OZ D+, HH D, SPG P
RC is a good property in Seoul. I would also strongly recommend the Westin Chosun hotel. While the building is old, the rooms are all new and the service is great. They also have a nice club lounge. The Chosun is one of my favorite hotels and Mrs. DUF and Micro DUF also had great stays there.

More info here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...er-thread.html

Another good hotel is the W but a) it is not ideally located for many things and b) if you don't like modern than this is not your place at all.
Old Oct 28, 09, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
I stayed at the JW Marriott in June and was quite impressed. Rooms were clean and modern, the concierge lounge was first-rate, and the health club was the best I have ever seen at a hotel. It isn't terribly close to much, but it's right above a big subway station so it was easy to get around.
Old Aug 19, 10, 3:44 pm

Programs: US CP, Hyatt Diamond
There doesn't seem to be a whole lot in the forum on hotels in Seoul. Are there any other opinions out there on what hotel is the best in Seoul?

The Park Hyatt seems the most attractive to me from the little research that I have done. But I am open to any suggestions or advice. Being able to walk from the hotel to interesting areas (not tourist sites, but neighborhoods with good local restaurants and shops) will be important.
Old Aug 19, 10, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

there is a fair amount of discussion here (except compared to bangkok and singapore )
Old Aug 19, 10, 4:42 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri View Post
there is a fair amount of discussion here (except compared to bangkok and singapore )
I suppose that is true. Unfortunately I haven't found the discussion to be particularly useful. Maybe that just means I need to write a detailed report after my trip.
Old Aug 19, 10, 5:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

discussion of beds, service, etc? also seem to recall some recent positive/negative PH seoul comments outside context of seoul.

but seoul(/korea?) is not a well regarded hotel city(/country?) here.

dont forget new banyan tree (50 rooms, most with private pools) and GHM should be opening one sometime soon as well.
Old Aug 19, 10, 11:55 pm

Programs: UA, SPG
We had a short stay at the PH last November. It is a very nice hotel physically. The location is not great however. The service we had was a disaster:

Botched airport pick up
No greeting at the driveway or recognition that we were checking in even though we arrived by hotel car.
No reognition that there were two of us on the reservation....kept asking who my partner was and whether there was a second reservation.
Completely unaware of the Virtuoso amenties (they honestly had never heard of Virtuoso.....the manager included)
Then the thing that pushed us over the top the check in agent began yelling at my partner for taking a photo of the christmas decorations (no photos allowed!)

The next day they "recovered" by comping us two 90 minute massages in the spa (very good), complimentary round trip airport transportation, upgraded our breakfast to full breakfast, and a nice fruit plate in our room. The freebies essentially made our room rate zero.

It turns out guests are free to photograph anything they wish in the hotel. Commericial photo shoots are not allowed. Even if we were doing something against hotel policy (which were not), they certainly could have addressed in a way that was not so embarassing or rude. Really the behavior of the front desk staff was shocking.

Last edited by peter11; Aug 20, 10 at 12:16 am
Old Aug 20, 10, 12:16 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM
OT

Does anyone know if there are any properties in South Korea where one could experience something similar to a luxury ryokan in Japan?
Old Aug 20, 10, 3:08 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
For rest & recreation, I'd choose either the Grand Hyatt or the Millenium Hilton. Both are on the slopes of Mt.Namsan with great views over the city and the leafy mountain parkscape.

It also makes a big difference in as being able to go for a walk or run in peaceful natural surroundings. Anybody who knows Seoul is aware of how special this really is.

If in Seoul for shopping, both the Lotte (which has a definite luxury touch) and the Westin Chosun have convenient locations close to Myeong-Dong.

For business visits, the Park Hyatt and the two Inter-Continentals in Gangnam are well set in the heart of corporate Korea.

As for "ryokan", the Korean counterpart, Ondol rooms, are available at several hotels. Just ask at time of booking.
Old Aug 20, 10, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by peter11 View Post
We had a short stay at the PH last November. It is a very nice hotel physically. The location is not great however. The service we had was a disaster:

Botched airport pick up
No greeting at the driveway or recognition that we were checking in even though we arrived by hotel car.
No reognition that there were two of us on the reservation....kept asking who my partner was and whether there was a second reservation.
Completely unaware of the Virtuoso amenties (they honestly had never heard of Virtuoso.....the manager included)
Then the thing that pushed us over the top the check in agent began yelling at my partner for taking a photo of the christmas decorations (no photos allowed!)

The next day they "recovered" by comping us two 90 minute massages in the spa (very good), complimentary round trip airport transportation, upgraded our breakfast to full breakfast, and a nice fruit plate in our room. The freebies essentially made our room rate zero.
Wow, that does not sound good at all. I've read such varying comments on the service at this hotel. It really seems to be hit or miss. At least it seems they made a fairly decent recovery with you. But still, that type of arrival experience would be very hard to forget.
Old Aug 20, 10, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by mosburger View Post
For rest & recreation, I'd choose either the Grand Hyatt or the Millenium Hilton. Both are on the slopes of Mt.Namsan with great views over the city and the leafy mountain parkscape.

It also makes a big difference in as being able to go for a walk or run in peaceful natural surroundings. Anybody who knows Seoul is aware of how special this really is.

If in Seoul for shopping, both the Lotte (which has a definite luxury touch) and the Westin Chosun have convenient locations close to Myeong-Dong.

For business visits, the Park Hyatt and the two Inter-Continentals in Gangnam are well set in the heart of corporate Korea.
Thanks for these descriptions. My wife has been to Seoul before, but this will be my first time to the city. It is a leisure trip, but I'd say we are really there more for exploration. We will want to hit some of the tourist sites, but I don't think location of the hotel is really a major concern for that purpose. Instead, we want to make sure the hotel is located in an area that we can easily walk to many typical Korean restaurants and interesting neighborhoods. I've read some comments that suggest the Park Hyatt might be good for this, but I'm not sure.

It sounds like the Grand Hyatt and Millenium Hilton might be a bit more isolated than we would like. Being an SPG Plat, I suppose I should consider the Westin Chosun, but the pictures I have seen of that hotel haven't impressed me very much.
Old Aug 20, 10, 7:33 am

Programs: CX, OZ, MU (+AY, DL), Shangri-La, Hilton
Originally Posted by JiangsuLu2002 View Post
Instead, we want to make sure the hotel is located in an area that we can easily walk to many typical Korean restaurants and interesting neighborhoods. I've read some comments that suggest the Park Hyatt might be good for this, but I'm not sure.
The Park Hyatt is in Gangnam, the newer, affluent part of Seoul. You would indeed have a good choice of modern style Korean and other restaurants aimed at businessmen and the nouveau riche for their meetings and outings. Gangnam is also a place where many things are available 24hrs a day, not just Karaoke rooms.

If, on the other hand, you should be looking for traditional Korean atmosphere and food, the northern side of the river might be more appealing.

It sounds like the Grand Hyatt and Millenium Hilton might be a bit more isolated than we would like. Being an SPG Plat, I suppose I should consider the Westin Chosun, but the pictures I have seen of that hotel haven't impressed me very much.
The Grand Hyatt is just above Itaweon just like the Millenium Hilton sits on top of Seoul Station and Namdaemun market. Catching a cab you will be within the city buzz in a few minutes.

The Westin Chosun is a sort of olde World hotel, very civilized feel and smack in the middle of the old centre of Seoul. An extra point for the garden they keep on a very expensive piece of land.

Not to forget about the Shilla and R-C either. It's just that I'd rather write about the hotels that are more familiar to myself.
Old Aug 20, 10, 9:07 am

Programs: AF/KLM LTP| Emirates Gold |InterContinental Spire RA |A Club Gold |AMEX Plat| Visa Plat |Hertz P
Originally Posted by peter11 View Post
We had a short stay at the PH last November. It is a very nice hotel physically. The location is not great however. The service we had was a disaster
+1
I was disapointed by the service, which was far from the one I received at PH Milan or Buenos Aires.

I moved to IC Seoul (not Coex), just opposite. The junior suites are large, well decorated, service is excellent and club lounge is great.
Old Aug 20, 10, 9:24 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
Seoul Plaza

I have enjoyed everything about the Seoul Plaza Hotel

It's central location (across from City Hall Park)

It has an inside entry to the easily navigated subway

Great ammenities & well appointed common areas

Delightful staff & an array of food services that

include many specialty shops in the lower level

I'll be returning for another stay in November

Search this Thread

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: