Search

Best Hotel in Seoul

Search this Thread

Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Diplomatic Suite: Park Hyatt Seoul

The suite itself:

Spacious, sprawling but just subtly different than the normal Park suites and Park King rooms. This is how the Korean PHs are, from Seoul to Busan. I think this suite is a bit of a disappointment for a Diplomatic suite because it just lacks the tenets of an upperclass suite from the pantry not having a large fridge, cooking components to lack of a phone in the living area. I would have liked the desk to be outside in the living area rather than occupying a space by the bed. Diplomats may want to store their own bottles of alcohol or special dietary requirements and emptying the same small fridge as a standard room is a disappointment.

Finally! A working desk! Anyone who has stayed here knows that work space is at a premium. You either run your AC cord across the room from the wall to the small table or work in the bathroom. This Diplomatic suite has a silm but feasible desk. I had problems with power supply and sockets. The alcove wouldn't open and I still ended up charging my devices in the bathroom because the bedside plugs didn't work for almost the entire stay. The desk chair is stylish but impractical, uncomfortable for anyone who isn't tall and/or skinny.

The living room's TV was a 4K UHD LG 65 inch and a nice change from the 40, 50 inch Samsungs present in almost every other room. There's also a fireplace on the lefthand but no need for that yet. Didn't bother lighting it up to see how it works. The table has more than enough room for breakfast and room service.

Cal-King bed with power outlets under what poses as a nightstand. They had intermittent voltage problems and didn't charge my devices overnight. Back to the bathroom improvisation. The red shiny surface as the bedframe cheapens the room look in my opinion. I guess Superpotato wanted to give it some color but I just think it's tacky and out of place. You'll recognize the same lounger as in every other room.

You have to go up to the Diplomatic suite to get dual vanities. The counterspace of the normal suite would have been more convenient during this upgraded stay.

The bathtub was a nice treat, overlooking the COEX area and Gangnam in your granite stone furo.

Food:

The breakfast and F&B at Park Hyatt Seoul was well done. Eggs benedict was superb and you can tell the care and quality of the ingredients. The French toast was moist and sweet. Not sloppy like other luxury hotels in Korea like JW Marriott Dongdaemun or PH Busan. The seafood noodles had the juiciest, biggests clams I've ever had in my life. You could taste the freshness and hats off to their sourcers and suppliers. This goes for all of their produce, seafood, beef, etc. Their Korean food is also excellent. The Gangnam breakfast set with rice, soup, fish and kimchi might not be everyone's taste but it is done well here. My partner enjoyed it.

Amenities:

Full sized, made in Australia Aesop bottles and with everything from face wash to bath salts. The bathroom was well-equipped. The toilet was the same older Toto washlet found in regular rooms and suites. No autoflush capabilities but had the control panel above the toilet paper.

Service:

Improved. English levels are passable to good and the rudeness from the front end staff has evaporated. Room service attendants were courteous, prompt and very exacting.

Verdict:

I still need to be at GH for work related reasons but PH Seoul has upped its game in the past year. Probably has to do with FS coming in less than a month and some of it due to the regime change. I've heard soft renovations will be happening to address some of the minor niggling issues we've all had with this hotel. This would be my choice for a Gangnam based luxury hotel over JW Marriott or RC by a country mile.

Apologies some of the pictures are stuck in the wrong orientation. Can't figure out how to adjust them in ImageBam.

Last edited by Aventine; Sep 16, 2015 at 12:19 am
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:09 am

Originally Posted by Braniff
I'll be returning to the Shilla later this month. I will be with people who place great weight on the quality of the fitness center. I remember reading that the Shilla was to have the best in Seoul. My travel companions, however, said that TripAdvisor says it's a membership only fitness center and hotel guests are charged a fortune for the privilege of access. Can anyone confirm?
Shilla didn't charge for fitness center for hotel guests last year (not sure if the policy changed). I liked the fitness center quite a bit--especially for a hotel--good mixture of cardio/free weight/machines.

A particular favorite to watch was the old fashioned machines that would place a belt around the waist and shake
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:07 am
Suspended

Thanks for the review, Aventine. Some good notes in there.
Old Sep 16, 2015, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pricesquire
Thanks for the review, Aventine. Some good notes in there.
Waiting to plunk FS in here or your thread, pricesquire
Old Sep 16, 2015, 1:54 pm

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
Originally Posted by Aventine
Updates from Seoul:

- GH's Chinese restaurant was closed down and temporarily serves as a Grand Club lounge for all the summer packages they sold.
- PH's service levels have gone up since I last came here
- Light sleepers beware as PH's front glass is thin and the building gets bombarded by Gangnam traffic at all hours of the day.
PH service has definitely improved over the last year. Certainly up to Shilla levels. When FS comes online, will be tossup between the three for me (I find the GH just too big).
Old Sep 16, 2015, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grumbler
PH service has definitely improved over the last year. Certainly up to Shilla levels. When FS comes online, will be tossup between the three for me (I find the GH just too big).
I'm curious to see how the service is at FS in the beginning. Probably teething problems like every luxury hotel at first.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 8:39 am

Programs: AC SE 2MM, too many others
I'm curious to see how the service is at FS in the beginning. Probably teething problems like every luxury hotel at first.
Who knows ? Part of it depends on who is available to lure away from the other hotels, and in Seoul, that pool has got to be limited. So I would think that it might be sort of hit and miss off the top.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by grumbler
Who knows ? Part of it depends on who is available to lure away from the other hotels, and in Seoul, that pool has got to be limited. So I would think that it might be sort of hit and miss off the top.
I know they poached some staff from both PH and GH.

The assistant FS Seoul guest relations manager emailed me last night enquiring about any special needs for our stay. I guess being proactive is part of their Seoul luxe differentiation strategy.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 1:19 pm

I know they poached some staff from both PH and GH.

The assistant FS Seoul guest relations manager emailed me last night enquiring about any special needs for our stay. I guess being proactive is part of their Seoul luxe differentiation strategy.
Do report back, I can't wait to read what you think. Knowing FS, it might be a great stay despite being early days. They'll pull it off!
Old Sep 21, 2015, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by scented
Do report back, I can't wait to read what you think. Knowing FS, it might be a great stay despite being early days. They'll pull it off!
I'll be sure not to bring the hammer down too hard on them. Hoping they use something better than the Malaysian made Western brand petro chemical crap.
Old Sep 21, 2015, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FS Seoul spa goers

Their lines and treatments include:
* Biologique Recherche from Paris
* Sodashi from Australia
* Fedora from Korea
Old Sep 25, 2015, 10:42 am

FS Seoul spa goers

Their lines and treatments include:
* Biologique Recherche from Paris
* Sodashi from Australia
* Fedora from Korea
Hats off to that
Old Sep 26, 2015, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Hats off to that
who else uses Fedora? I'm being serious, if that's a luxury spa brand, that passed me by.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:38 am

who else uses Fedora? I'm being serious, if that's a luxury spa brand, that passed me by.
Only joking. I've never heard of Fedora ( http://fedoracosmetics.com/ ), but I'm glad they are using Sodashi!
Old Sep 30, 2015, 9:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vuittonsofstyle
Only joking. I've never heard of Fedora ( http://fedoracosmetics.com/ ), but I'm glad they are using Sodashi!
I think they should have used Sulhwasoo or Amore Pacific for the Korean spa lineup. Brands that are sold at Neiman Marcus and Bergdorf Goodman. Good stuff their ginseng and green tea lines. I've never heard of Fedora and I live in Korea! whoa.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.