Search

Burj vs. Armani Hotel Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Originally Posted by Trogger
so i wonder a bit about people who are like "didnt like Armani for being minimalistic" / "Burj al arab..waaaay to much gold.."
Itīs not only minimalism for me. I agree both Hotels are extrems and so very different. But not liking both hotels is no exclusion in my eyes.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:42 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Ok, so we are going with the Burj. Could you recommend a great fine dining restaurant for a special occasion dinner? Doesn't have to be in any particular area, I know there's a glut of michelin starred places, wondering if anyone has any particular favorites.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
Ok, so we are going with the Burj. Could you recommend a great fine dining restaurant for a special occasion dinner? Doesn't have to be in any particular area, I know there's a glut of michelin starred places, wondering if anyone has any particular favorites.
No Guide Michelin in Dubai. They think thereself they deserve stars but self-awareness and reality are 2 pairs of shoes
Old Jul 21, 2017, 1:38 pm

Dubai is more Los Angeles than NY when it comes to its food scene. They have a lot of great restaurants, but it's a bit more casual.

I love Jean-Georges, which is at FS Dubai's restaurant village. I also love Armani/Ristorante, which is decidedly fine dining and great Italian food. But there are some here who did not like Ristorante -- so opinions will vary, although the chef really cares about the restaurant and often comes to chat during dinner.

Atmosphere has a great view, but I didn't care for the food as much. A bit pretentious. I highly recommend their Afternoon Tea though, easily in my top three worldwide.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:38 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold
Do you have any preference for cuisine? Also fine dining formal and quiet or with a nice vibe and young crowd? If the latter, perhaps you may like Coya at Four Seasons. It's Peruvian and the quality/service/vibe is excellent.
Old Jul 23, 2017, 1:20 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Originally Posted by stiwi
Do you have any preference for cuisine? Also fine dining formal and quiet or with a nice vibe and young crowd? If the latter, perhaps you may like Coya at Four Seasons. It's Peruvian and the quality/service/vibe is excellent.
Fine dining formal. TY
Old Jul 23, 2017, 2:59 pm

Fine dining formal. TY
La Petite Maison.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 6:46 am

Originally Posted by Trogger
Last Dubai Trip we stayed at the Armani in a Fountain Suite with balcony and I loved our stay. The balcony was absolutely amazing.
(You could easily throw a cocktail reception with 40+people there. Amazing view !)
I loved the design and I think you get a pretty good view online about the different styles ( which in my opionen are really DIFFERENT ), so i wonder a bit about people who are like "didnt like Armani for being minimalistic" / "Burj al arab..waaaay to much gold.."
I stayed in the Armani (also a Fountain Suite) and Burj (Panoramic Suite) one after the other in 2015. I would not return to the Burj, but would definitely go back to the Armani. The Burj is absolutely a place you go to say you've been, but then I can't remember ever meeting anyone since who cared one bit that I'd been there. In fact, anywhere where you stay to say you've been is just a disappointment, not only for the hype, but because it's built a reputation not in excellence, but normally on extravagance. I would have rather went along, seen the rooms and stayed elsewhere, then I would have received the same knowledge I got in staying there - that it wasn't for me.
The Armani's service really impressed me, as did the cuisine, style of rooms, space and location. The only thing I preferred at the Burj was the free pass to the waterpark, which I took full advantage of.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MacMyDay
but then I can't remember ever meeting anyone since who cared one bit that I'd been there
I couldnīt care less about a thing than what other people interests about my vacation. I travel for me not for others. But I agree, that Burj is surely preferred by showoff compared by Armani (Advantage of Armani).
Old Jul 28, 2017, 2:20 am

Programs: Miles and Smiles Elite Plus
As people here all seem to be very experienced travellers can you guys please tell me what is special about Burj? I am not trying to be contradictory, I honestly just want to know. Is it the luxury inside the rooms, or technology perhaps?

I have visited Dubai maybe 15 times, and although I have been inside the hotel I never thought it looked that special, and never thought to stay there. If it is a beach vacation I would go with FS Jumeirah or one of the O&O locations.

Armani also seems too dark to me, although I love both Hashi and Amal, very sad to hear Amal is not what it was. It is a must go restaurant for me on every trip.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:08 am

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by tcmb99
As people here all seem to be very experienced travellers can you guys please tell me what is special about Burj? I am not trying to be contradictory, I honestly just want to know. Is it the luxury inside the rooms, or technology perhaps?
Because its there.

Actually, I think the consensus here may be that it isn't "special", other than it is a landmark and icon of Dubai "extravagance" in its build, decor, prices, and it having been marketed as a "7 star hotel". It is the exact opposite of understated luxury, and as such, it has some appeal, like swallowing a goldfish, nude sunbathing, and eating extra hot chilies.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 5:19 am

Originally Posted by tcmb99

I have visited Dubai maybe 15 times, and although I have been inside the hotel I never thought it looked that special, and never thought to stay there. If it is a beach vacation I would go with FS Jumeirah or one of the O&O locations.

Armani also seems too dark to me, although I love both Hashi and Amal, very sad to hear Amal is not what it was. It is a must go restaurant for me on every trip.
The smallest room of 170sqm speaks for itself. You can get a helicopter from the airport and land directly on top of the hotel. You can get Rolls Royce pick up service. I think it's all about top experience. The views from the rooms also have to be great. I stayed at O&O Royal Mirage and while it was great, the standard room had "only" 50sqm and "sea facing" views not to be mistaken with sea views. I bet every single room at Burj Al Arab have great views.
Old Jul 28, 2017, 1:38 pm

Originally Posted by stiwi
The smallest room of 170sqm speaks for itself. You can get a helicopter from the airport and land directly on top of the hotel. You can get Rolls Royce pick up service. I think it's all about top experience. The views from the rooms also have to be great. I stayed at O&O Royal Mirage and while it was great, the standard room had "only" 50sqm and "sea facing" views not to be mistaken with sea views. I bet every single room at Burj Al Arab have great views.
Not true, some of the suites at Burj Al Arab have boring views from a small section of windows. Granted, if you can get an easy upgrade to one of their Panoramic 1BR Suites, the views are stunning and the bedroom is very airy -- but even then the bathrooms are a nightmare. When the hotel was opened in 1999, the luxury market was already far beyond open toilet set-ups and that they did not change this until today is a major design flaw. Toilets these days should be fully enclosed and ideally electronic. And most certainly not right next to the door! I cannot believe who signed this off, KCA Design or someone else, but it is really frightful. And no daylight at all... Khuan Chew is lovely, but when I hear her talk about Burj Al Arab, I can't help but wonder what planet she is on. Some of the things she says just don't make sense.

This may be an outrageous comparison but look at the bathrooms of Park Hyatt Dubai -- you can actually use the sinks while someone is using the toilet or showering, and the person in the shower still has privacy. Or if you open the shades, you can use the bathroom while looking out on the creek. Which is not possible at Burj Al Arab. And all of the bathrooms at Park Hyatt have plenty of natural light and a much more comfortable tub... and all this at 1/10 of the price. I'll take PH over BAA any day.

Much more high-end these days is FS JB, which has gorgeous bathrooms -- although a bit dark, too. And if you feel like splurging, the bathrooms in the resort's Royal Suite are something out of a dream. I still cannot forget the gold mosaic work and the sheer quality of it all. It is subtle yet decadent. BAMO really pulled it off here. This is probably what BAA aimed to achieve back then, but today it looks like Trump Taj Mahal in Dubai.

Burj Al Arab misses the mark these days what travelers are looking for. It's no longer about golden faucets, but about space and light and feeling, caring service. These things. And not reception desks on every floor, as I do not even like one in the lobby!

Wondering what vuittonsofstyle thinks about Burj Al Arab these days.

Last edited by scented; Jul 30, 2017 at 9:16 am
Old Jul 28, 2017, 3:14 pm

Originally Posted by scented
[...]
This may be an outrageous comparison but look at the bathrooms of Park Hyatt Dubai -- you can actually use the sinks while someone is using the toilet or showering, and the person in the shower still has privacy. Or if you open the shades, you can use the bathroom while looking out on the creek. Which is not possible at Burj Al Arab. And all of the bathrooms at Park Hyatt have plenty of natural light and a much more comfortable tub... and all this at 1/10 of the price. I'll take PH over BAA any day.

Much more high-end these days is FS JB, which has gorgeous bathrooms -- although a bit dark, too. And if you feel like splurging, the bathrooms in the resort's Royal Suite are something out of a dream. I still cannot forget the gold mosaic work and the sheer quality of it all. It is subtle yet decadent. BAMO really pulled it off here. This is probably what BAA aimed to achieve back then, but today it looks like Trump Taj Mahal in Dubai.

Burj Al Arab misses the mark these days what travellers are looking for. It's no longer about golden faucets, but about space and light and feeling, caring service. These things. And not reception desks on every floor, as I do not even like one in the lobby!
I spent three weeks at PH suite and it's definitely a fantastic hotel in a great setting. But for majority of travellers this hotel is on the wrong side of the Creek. And there is no beach. Also dining options, although good, are limited both within the hotel and nearby restaurants. There is no doubt that the whole Madinat hotel complex + BAA + JBH offers the best one-stop experience in Dubai. BAA became an icon of Dubai, something reserved for the wealthy travellers, whether there is value in it or not. BAA is a stunning building to admire and I understand people who want to stay there. It's like the afternoon tea there which from what I heard is not that special, but you need to book well in advance as it's always fully booked... I only dined there once at Al Muntaha and although it was expensive, the experience was worth it. I am not sure how old is this restaurant (or when it was refurbished) but it definitely had the "wow factor".
Old Jul 29, 2017, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What's special? First it's indeed the concept with all suites. Also it's the use of gold which is extensive and often simply stupid (watching TV in a goldframe is not fun). Many things are superlative and I don't mean the RR transfer which is nothing so unusual except some personifications in the cars. Also helicopter is done at other hotels.
Agree about bathrooms. Also can't see views as that great, had just sea and steal in front of me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.