Search

Burj vs. Armani Hotel Dubai

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 1:44 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Many
Burj vs. Armani Hotel Dubai

What does the board say? I can get a much nicer room at the Armani for less $, but I have always wanted to check the Burj out for the novelty factor, even though I don't think it will be anything spectacular, and likely will be pretty tacky and lousy. What do you all say.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by GetSetJetSet
What does the board say? I can get a much nicer room at the Armani for less $, but I have always wanted to check the Burj out for the novelty factor, even though I don't think it will be anything spectacular, and likely will be pretty tacky and lousy. What do you all say.
It depends.. which dates are you looking at? Ask them if they have any big groups, as this was an issue the last instances I visited Armani. And I don't think you would enjoy these groups. Armani/Amal has a new chef, quality is down but Hashi is as good as ever. Avoid the previously excellent buffet restaurant, as it is very loud these days. I used to love to go there, as the views were so stunning and their manager Elena kept a pashmina for me to keep me warm during chilly winter evenings on the terrace. This is all long gone and the hotel caters to a totally different market now. The extension of the Dubai Mall means that many of Armani's outlets do not have the same view as before.

In a million years I wouldn't have thought I'd say this, but Burj Al Arab has a stunning new floating pool (finally) and has had Sodashi treatments in the spa. Not sure if this is still the case, almost considered it bribery to get me to stay there, but the decor was a bit much...

Have you stayed at O&O The Palm? Some suites afford beautiful views over the Dubai Marina skyline and even have private pools. That's a personal favorite.

Keep in mind that the clientele and rates vary hugely in Dubai during certain months.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:10 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by scented
It depends.. which dates are you looking at? Ask them if they have any big groups, as this was an issue the last instances I visited Armani. And I don't think you would enjoy these groups. Armani/Amal has a new chef, quality is down but Hashi is as good as ever. Avoid the previously excellent buffet restaurant, as it is very loud these days. I used to love to go there, as the views were so stunning and their manager Elena kept a pashmina for me to keep me warm during chilly winter evenings on the terrace. This is all long gone and the hotel caters to a totally different market now. The extension of the Dubai Mall means that many of Armani's outlets do not have the same view as before.

In a million years I wouldn't have thought I'd say this, but Burj Al Arab has a stunning new floating pool (finally) and has had Sodashi treatments in the spa. Not sure if this is still the case, almost considered it bribery to get me to stay there, but the decor was a bit much...

Have you stayed at O&O The Palm? Some suites afford beautiful views over the Dubai Marina skyline and even have private pools. That's a personal favorite.

Keep in mind that the clientele and rates vary hugely in Dubai during certain months.
Previously, I have always stayed in a friend's guest room. I will be there for two days with a larger group, so we need a hotel before I move on to free lodging with friends . Basically, I want to stay at the Burj, just to do it once for the novelty factor, but I'd consider not doing it if the Armani is *THAT* much better. Otherwise, it's only two days.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:27 pm

Previously, I have always stayed in a friend's guest room. I will be there for two days with a larger group, so we need a hotel before I move on to free lodging with friends . Basically, I want to stay at the Burj, just to do it once for the novelty factor, but I'd consider not doing it if the Armani is *THAT* much better. Otherwise, it's only two days.
Armani is not that much better. Really. If you want to stay at Burj Al Arab for the experience, do it! ^

Visiting Downtown is nice, especially so if you can leave the hustle again and retreat somewhere more peaceful.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Dorchester DC, FSPP, STARS, FAN, Knights, Bellini Club, PenClub, Relais & Chateaux PP, etc
I was just in Dubai in May and stayed at the Armani & Four Seasons on Jumeirah Beach but also did a site inspection of the Burj Al Arab. scented points are well stated above, groups can surely effect things and it's a fair question to ask (or have your advisor do the homework for you) if it concerns you but it is not peak season there either. Armani is a much more modern/sophisticated vibe I thought. In peak season the Burj bumps prices a good bit so it will change the vibe in the winter.

Personally I'm a fan of the sophisticated vibe and contemporary feel which they both have but Giorgio's styling of the Armani and their lifestyle managers I personally enjoyed, and being in town I prefered but I also live on the beach and thought Dubai's beach was crap compared to where I live...

If staying at the Armani ensure you get a fountain view room to watch (and listen) to the fountains.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Sounds like the Burj it is for 2 days. How bad could it be?
Old Jul 20, 2017, 3:23 pm
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, STARS, MO FAN Club, PEN Club, Bellini Club, Dorchester Diamond Club, Travel Leaders
... and save the Hermes bath amenities from your room. They are worth a LOT!

Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Burj without question. It's superior in most categories. Stayed at both hotels in 2013 and while Burj is too touristy and the rooms are not my style Srmani had terrible service, it felt claustrophobic, suite was not nice (dark, felt small) and so on. Burj has also good facilities (nice pools, beach, Aal Wadi if you like), Armani has more or less only a mediocre pool.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Originally Posted by jasondetar
I was just in Dubai in May and stayed at the Armani & Four Seasons on Jumeirah Beach but also did a site inspection of the Burj Al Arab. scented points are well stated above, groups can surely effect things and it's a fair question to ask (or have your advisor do the homework for you) if it concerns you but it is not peak season there either. Armani is a much more modern/sophisticated vibe I thought. In peak season the Burj bumps prices a good bit so it will change the vibe in the winter.

Personally I'm a fan of the sophisticated vibe and contemporary feel which they both have but Giorgio's styling of the Armani and their lifestyle managers I personally enjoyed, and being in town I prefered but I also live on the beach and thought Dubai's beach was crap compared to where I live...

If staying at the Armani ensure you get a fountain view room to watch (and listen) to the fountains.
Paid 200 for it per night. Nice way to burn money, also sound didn't work....
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:21 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
I did the same thing once - stayed at the Burj 'just to see it' and 'to do it'. Summer was the right time to try it out as the prices were lower. I have a trip report on here (Luxurious, Clean, Delightful, Incredible India in F (EK/AI) + Some Amazing Hotels) but it seems all my photos were disabled due to a new Photobucket policy on third party websites. In any event, I have no regrets and think it is a reasonable thing to do. It was pretty much as I expected it however - I kept hoping, and was expecting, that the decor would be somewhat better than depicted in the hotel photos, but not, what you see is exactly what you will get. The actual accomodation, though over 2000 SF IIRC, was quite lacklustre despite the decor - felt like staying at an old aunt's house in terms of furniture etc. - quite dated. I found the spa facilities somewhat depressing as it was apparently in the basement. Restaurants were nothing special. Service was nothing special at all. But walking around as a guest and taking it all in? Priceless
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
SPG 5+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Is the SPA now in the basement? I remember it was on the 20th floor or so. Nice view from the treatment rooms and indoor pool

Restaurantd indeed overpriced and not really good. Best bet is Arabian buffet restaurant
Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:08 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HH Silver
Originally Posted by offerendum
Is the SPA now in the basement? I remember it was on the 20th floor or so. Nice view from the treatment rooms and indoor pool

Restaurantd indeed overpriced and not really good. Best bet is Arabian buffet restaurant
Not sure if it was technically the basement, but it felt like a basement with no windows and dungeon-like.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:35 am

Last Dubai Trip we stayed at the Armani in a Fountain Suite with balcony and I loved our stay. The balcony was absolutely amazing.
(You could easily throw a cocktail reception with 40+people there. Amazing view !)
I loved the design and I think you get a pretty good view online about the different styles ( which in my opionen are really DIFFERENT ), so i wonder a bit about people who are like "didnt like Armani for being minimalistic" / "Burj al arab..waaaay to much gold.."

While staying at the BAA was never a option for us we had similar feelings that we want to "feel it once". What we did was culinary flight through the hotel

https://www.jumeirah.com/en/hotels-r...-burj-al-arab/

For us this was perfect to check it out, food was good but not amazing and you obvsl pay a good premium for where you eat.(Cannot advise on the wine pairing... but for +700 AED for 4 (?) glasses they better bring something really awesome to the table)

( Also had dinner at Atmosphere which we really liked and I tought the food was way better there, but obvsl you pay a good premium there as well... but its worth imho !)
Old Jul 21, 2017, 6:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I'd do Burj just for the experience.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:31 am

We've stayed at the Burj al Arab three times now. It's a special experience but my one piece of advice would be to upgrade from the base category to the Panoramic Suite. In my book they're the wow category at this property along with the Club Suites. I think you have to temper your expectations - don't go expecting perfect service (do you ever find that in Dubai?) or sensational F&B. The new terrace at the back has really improved the hotel as far as I'm concerned. The pools always used to be a bit boring now I really like them. Definitely go for the Burj al Arab and splash out for Rolls Royce or helicopter transfer. Absolutely worth it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.