Grand Canyon + Amangiri

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:27 pm
DSI
formerly declinespecificinformatiom
Original Poster

Grand Canyon + Amangiri

Hello,

I know there is a ton of great stuff on Amangiri and the merits of flying through PHX or LAS, but I'm more specifically wondering if it is possible to first spend two days near the grand canyon enroute to Amangiri? Would somewhere like L'auberge or enchantment in sedona be a good choice, or would vegas (and using one of the helicopter choices) be better? Or is there somewhere closer to the grand canyon?

Thank you!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:11 am
Aman 5+ BadgeFour Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: UA1K, *G & Wife of UA1K MM
For Amangiri, we flew into Phoenix and spent 2 nights in a cabin on the Grand Canyon crater rim before heading to Amangiri.

Here's our trip report which got merged into everyone's trip report thread. Page 4. Starting at post 49.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...threads-4.html

We've also been to L'Auberge de Sedona on a separate trip. We have a quick writeup in this thread.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/luxur...ttsdale-2.html
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:10 am
DSI
Original Poster

Thanks

I read your first write up but didn't see the Sedona write up. Thank you!

Why does it seem like most people are combining vegas with amangiri rather than Sedona? From what I can see online Sedona looks beautiful. Is it primarily because of flights?

It seems like enchantment might have a better location, and I like the idea of playing a round of golf. And it seems much more kid friendly too.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:03 pm

Vegas just has easier flight options.

Too, the drive from Vegas to Amangiri allows for Zion (amongst other things), which is spectacular.

If you want to spend time at the GC, though, the North Rim is not a terribly long drive from Amangiri. Or, alternatively, stay in Flagstaff a night or two, and then head up to Amangiri.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:16 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeBanyan Contributor Badge

This is what we did: Started in Phoenix (few days at the 4S), drove to Sedona (stayed at L'Auberge De Sedona), drove to Flagstaff mainly to use it as a base for Grand Canyon, drove to Amangiri. Sedona is well worth the stop even if you are just going to hike around for the day.

This broke up the trip very nicely. I'd do it again (well except maybe for Amangiri).
Old Feb 22, 2017, 2:50 pm
DSI
Original Poster

It seems like L'Auberge is more well-regarded than Enchantment on here. It also seems to be a lot less expensive and the views seem less dramatic.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeSPG 5+ Badge

Programs: Some
Sedona is beautiful. I stayed at El Tovar hotel at the Grand Canyon. Terrible hotel but the best you can get at the Canyon and you can't beat the location. But it was hard for me
Old Feb 23, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

can do phoenix / flagstaff one way and SGU (zion) other way
SGU to SLC (park city - washington school house etc) or DEN
in PHX, FS is farthest north, i liked pool homes at sanctuary
Originally Posted by Ericka
We self-drove 4 hours from PHX to the Grand Canyon, staying at the historic Buckey O'Neill cabin directly on the edge of the South Rim. We drove the remaining 2.5 hours to Amangiri
Adventure Partners tours parks as well as amangiri
could also talk to them about their New Mexico ops

Last edited by Kagehitokiri; Feb 23, 2017 at 10:48 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.