Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How do I scavenge expiring M&M mileage?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

How do I scavenge expiring M&M mileage?

Have 5496 miles on M&M. Due to the 3 year expiry rule, 2467 expire Sep 08.
What are no cost conversion strategies for me to move them from M&M to other airline/hotel/car rental/cash partners? Would rather get something than waste them.
Any & all suggestions accepted.
Thanks
Old Apr 24, 2008, 5:05 pm
Moderator: Asiana & Qantas Frequent Flyer
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Lifetime SG, LH HON, OZ Lifetime Diamond +, HH Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by rdabke
Have 5496 miles on M&M. Due to the 3 year expiry rule, 2467 expire Sep 08.
What are no cost conversion strategies for me to move them from M&M to other airline/hotel/car rental/cash partners? Would rather get something than waste them.
Any & all suggestions accepted.
Thanks
Hi rdabke! Have you considered all the things suggested in the threads which come up when you do a very basic search?

Summary: There are things you can do to stop miles from expiring (mainly status and credit cards), you can use miles for something but you can not transfer them out of M&M into another program.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:52 am

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
You won't find any no-cost conversions, nor no-cost-keep-alive options. This is LH and, well, the market tolerates their behavior.

Their miles' value can be debated heavily, but I'd personally say it's about a penny a mile, so $25 for the Sep expirations. For that small amount of miles, I'd let them waste away; with Lufthansa (especially considering their taxes and fees), I think you'll spend well more keeping them alive than they're worth.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:17 am
szg
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH(OS) HON, IC RA
Originally Posted by Grog
You won't find any no-cost conversions, nor no-cost-keep-alive options. This is LH and, well, the market tolerates their behavior.

Their miles' value can be debated heavily, but I'd personally say it's about a penny a mile, so $25 for the Sep expirations. For that small amount of miles, I'd let them waste away; with Lufthansa (especially considering their taxes and fees), I think you'll spend well more keeping them alive than they're worth.
I second that, 2467 are nothing worth and you can´t get an award flight for 5496 miles.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 11:09 am

Programs: BAEC, M&L, Bonvoy
well, you can always donate those miles, instead of letting them expire.

I consider that always better option, then just letting them expire.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:00 pm

Because of needing to close my M&M account and having a few miles left in it, I got a tennis racket I don't need the other day.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:13 pm

Programs: LH SEN (LH*G), HH Diamond, AB Gold (1W Saph)
One important question is where you are based. Your options for keeping your miles alive or for what you can do with them change dramatically depending on where you live (and, to some degree, where your account is registered).

But as others have said, M&M miles cannot transferred to any other program.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 1:26 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by volta
well, you can always donate those miles, instead of letting them expire.

I consider that always better option, then just letting them expire.
Donating miles seems to have a feel-good factor, but absent any details from the airlines (here, Lufthansa), I have to wonder about the whole thing.

Since Lufthansa says they aren't our miles anyway (they're Lufthansa's), this seems to be nothing more than a chance for Lufthansa to both a) take your miles back and b) get a tax write-off for their donation. Call me a cynic, but charity miles seems to be corporate BS to me until more info is publicized from the Airline of Transparency. I certainly welcome being convinced otherwise.
Old Apr 26, 2008, 6:18 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
"well, you can always donate those miles"

tried that too but there are minimums even there so having a few thousand miles doesn't even help a charity . . .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.