Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH F Champagne

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

LH F Champagne

Okay, so I am a certified CW (Champagne Whore). What are they pouring in F these days as the partner and I will be heading to Portugal via FRA in about a month.

Thanks!
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by FridayHarborFlyer
Okay, so I am a certified CW (Champagne Whore). What are they pouring in F these days as the partner and I will be heading to Portugal via FRA in about a month.
I think now is the time to rebook to a real airline.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:38 pm
Original Poster

You lost me?
Old Mar 24, 2008, 6:47 pm

bring you own
Old Mar 24, 2008, 7:55 pm

Just came back from JFK-FRA and FRA-LAX in first... Champagne was Piper Heidieck RARE... Excellent. IMHO...
Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH, UA, BD, AA, NW, FB, NH, AC, Sixt, Hertz, Avis, *W, HH, Marriott, PC, Leaders Club, AMEX
Originally Posted by RTW4
Champagne was Piper Heidieck RARE.
LH chose that one because they RAREly cater it.
Old Mar 24, 2008, 9:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by flysurfer
LH chose that one because they RAREly cater it.
True. Never had the pleasure onboard... On my last flight, the purser told me that LH is introducing new champagnes and brought me the wine menu. I was delighted but realized I am on LH when the purser came back - apologizing - as the had only catered "D de Devaux Champagne"... The infamous one...
Old Mar 25, 2008, 1:07 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Its "D" de Devaux Brut
OR
"Rare" Piper-Heidsieck

Sadly they never really cater both. If you are lucky you will get a choice ex-FRA or MUC, but never from an outstation.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Sadly they never really cater both.
They had both of them on one flight ex LAX.
It was like X-Mas.
On second thought, that flight WAS on X-Mas.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 4:20 pm

Programs: BA, AA, SQ, UA, AC, WS, MR TIT
If champagne is a major factor for deciding on travel on LH, then I am sure that 90% of passengers will avoid LH. The champagne brands they have been offering for many years is sucks. For best champagnes experience, nothing match what you get on CX or SQ or even TG.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:17 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flysurfer
They had both of them on one flight ex LAX.
It was like X-Mas.
On second thought, that flight WAS on X-Mas.
I'm not a great data point since I haven't done LH F since December, but the following segments offered both:

HKG-FRA October, 2007
FRA-TLV October, 2007
TLV-FRA October, 2007
FRA-JFK October, 2007
JFK-FRA December, 2007
FRA-TLV December, 2007

They opened the "Big D" champagne and on all of the above flights, they had the "P-H Rare" boarded and used that upon my request-- but never by default.

I vaguely recall a Tat Comtes early last year. (It could have been FRA-PEK in either April or July). As I recall, that was during the period of gray VL PJ's but beige Aigner sweaters on day flights.
Old Mar 25, 2008, 5:19 pm

I hope somebody will back me up on this....but our taste buds are not the same up above as they are on our mother ground.... I have to tell you that i personally am having difficulty enjoying nice wine 30000 feet above, can I drink it yes but finish/in glass smell which is the key component to wine is not the same.........krug/dom/kristal just end up being white wine....would I oppose something better on the ground probably not

Originally Posted by LH/LX
If champagne is a major factor for deciding on travel on LH, then I am sure that 90% of passengers will avoid LH. The champagne brands they have been offering for many years is sucks. For best champagnes experience, nothing match what you get on CX or SQ or even TG.
Old Mar 26, 2008, 4:18 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, SQ PPS Solitaire
Originally Posted by LH/LX
Can we add NH to the list, please? Always plenty of Krug! ^

SQ has downgraded Dom from 98 to 99 but still has Krug on offer as an alternative
TG has taken Veuve Grande Dame of the menus and downgraded Dom to 99
Never been on CX...
Old Mar 26, 2008, 8:54 am

Programs: :enrolleyes:+, :drôleyes:
Originally Posted by Ari
They opened the "Big D" champagne and on all of the above flights, they had the "P-H Rare" boarded and used that upon my request-- but never by default.
Originally Posted by Ari
I vaguely recall a Tat Comtes early last year.
Both excellent and (despite the -humility driven- invoked vagueness) very precise points! ^

There was a relatively long period (the end of which was in the first half of last year) during which the Weltmeister der Sommeliers () was quite obsessed with bottles from houses inside Reims exclusively... so that you could see Taittinger, Henriot, etc quite often in LH's F menus.

He seems to have changed his mind and (partly) moved a little bit to the south with "D" (Epernay). And FWIW (and without any wish to open flame wars about tastes ), "D" is not that bad . It is just different hence the shock. Most champagnes are chardonnay dominated, while this one is pinot noir based (the rest being chardonnay)
Old Mar 26, 2008, 12:38 pm
CGK

Programs: UA MM
On LH455 SFO-FRA ten days ago, only "Rare" Piper-Heidsieck was available on board.

Originally Posted by SMK77
Can we add NH to the list, please? Always plenty of Krug! ^
Depending on how many pax who drink Krug on board NH. But definitely, NH does not generously give out the Krug. What I mean is that when the glass is empty, I have to request it for the refill.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.