Wiki Posts
Search

A380 Business Class Experience [merged]

Search this Thread

Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold
A380 Business Class Experience [merged]

Hi, I'm considering taking the A380 from JFK to FRA in a couple of weeks. Many of the reviews I've seen so far have focused on bemoaning the fact that the J class seats are the same angled lie-flat type as on other LH aircraft, but aside from that, I was wondering if anyone has any thoughts on the overall business class experience on the LH A380 as compared to other equipment types. For example, overall configuration issues (speed of boarding/disembarking, queuing for the lavs, etc.), in-flight service (crew/pax ratio, speed of food/drink service, etc.) and the IFE system (which I understand is upgraded from other LH aircraft).

Also, any specific seat recommendations in J class on the A380 would be appreciated.

Many thanks.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: LH SEN, SPG Gold, HH Diamond
FoxBravo, first thing I'll tell you is that at least half of the people who complain about the "bus" feel have not flown LH A380 in C.

I've flown NRT-FRA in Oct and I enjoyed it, I thought the cabin was very quiet. The upgraded IFE is nice. I liked the side storage compartment by the window seat, but unless you're traveling with a companion you might not choose a window seat.

Service speed was good, nothing noted. Except that it was rather full and the purser came to confirm what I wanted to eat so it didn't run out until they got to me.

I was in 19C, and even though there are a lot of seats on the upper deck, I thought the textile divider did a good job at breaking up the length of the cabin without completely obstructing view.

Boarding speed was not an issue. Usually when flying from Germany to most long haul destinations there are a lot of people waiting at priority gate. I assume the A380 departs FRA from the C gates (as they were designed for it) and you should have the gate lounge with priority boarding. I wouldn't worry about this, you won't wait too long.
Old Apr 7, 2011, 2:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold
Thanks, dre_techie!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA PP 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy LTTE, BA Gold
I took JFK-FRA last Friday and boarding was very quick. I was towards the back of C on the upper deck with about 50% load in that mini-cabin. Service was excellent; the FA's friendly and smiling. There are a bunch of A380 LH postcards on the bulkhead that FA's were frequently grabbing, so I assume many of the passengers were enjoying the novelty of flying the A380.

I was at the front of the back section, the TV in the armrest and was easy to operate and high quality.

The whole trip was super smooth. I don't mind LH's seat - great for sitting / watching TV, and just ok for sleeping, but a couple of good LH pillows did the trick and I had a pleasant journey. Everything seems fresh / new / fun so go ahead and try it out!
Old Apr 8, 2011, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by seanp7
I took JFK-FRA last Friday and boarding was very quick. I was towards the back of C on the upper deck with about 50% load in that mini-cabin. Service was excellent; the FA's friendly and smiling. There are a bunch of A380 LH postcards on the bulkhead that FA's were frequently grabbing, so I assume many of the passengers were enjoying the novelty of flying the A380.

I was at the front of the back section, the TV in the armrest and was easy to operate and high quality.

The whole trip was super smooth. I don't mind LH's seat - great for sitting / watching TV, and just ok for sleeping, but a couple of good LH pillows did the trick and I had a pleasant journey. Everything seems fresh / new / fun so go ahead and try it out!
Did you notice how the FA's take/serve food? Were there two sets of FA's, one for front section and one for back section?
Old Apr 21, 2011, 9:57 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA EXP, UA 1K
Any seating experience good/bad from those that are using the 380?

I assume the mini cabin in the rear is quieter?

Will be traveling for the first time on the 380 with my wife PEK>FRA in the summer and seating options are still wide open.
Old Apr 22, 2011, 2:47 pm

Programs: LH SEN, TK Elite, FB Silver
keep in mind that LH401 has horrible flight times... you day is gonna be ruined when you arrive at 5am which is 11pm in NY.... I prefer the 10pm flight out of NY which doesnt give you jet-lag at all...
Old Feb 10, 2012, 5:58 am
DrV

Programs: LH SEN, ICH Platinum, FB Silver
LH A380 C cabin: best seat?

I do not have so much experience on fliying the LH A380 and i'm looking for advice. (used to the A340s)

I will be fliying FRA-NRT-FRA within a couple of weeks and I have found the exit row seats are avaliable for both flights: 27 A/C/H/K
Noticed most of the front seats are taken but the whole exit row is avaliable (some seats behind row 27 also taken)
As seen here the space is just... unlimited so a window seat would mean no probs for waking up.

My concern is that row 27 is way too close to the plane's tail and I dont know if the noise/vibration levels can be slightly higher than in the front but I dont know if that would be a big difference.

Seating chart

Any advice?

Last edited by DrV; Feb 10, 2012 at 6:58 am
Old Feb 10, 2012, 6:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON, BA Gold, EK Gold
Originally Posted by DrV
I do not have so much experience on fliying the LH A380 and i'm looking for advice. (used to the A340s)

I will be fliying FRA-NRT-FRA within a couple of weeks and I have found the exit row seats are avaliable for both flights: 26 A/C/H/K
Noticed most of the front seats are taken but the whole exit row is avaliable (some seats behind row 26 also taken)
As seen here the space is just... unlimited so a window seat would mean no probs for waking up.

My concern is that row 26 is way too close to the plane's tail and I dont know if the noise/vibration levels can be slightly higher than in the front but I dont know if that would be a big difference.

Seating chart

Any advice?
You mean row 27 not 26 ?

I try to get row 10 or 27 if stuck in C.

Meal service starts from the rear.
In row 10 I am usually asked by attentive FAs which meal choice I would like so that they can secure it.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:03 am
DrV

Programs: LH SEN, ICH Platinum, FB Silver
Indeed I meant 27, I was following seatguru's chart which is wrong.

11C is avaliable for my flight to NRT and 10H for coming back home. For now I am sticking to 27A for both flights.

Thanks for your comments.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:27 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Welcome to flyertalk, DrV!

If rapid deplaning is important or a consideration, the forward rows will of course save a few minutes and tend to put you more toward the front of the crowd at passport control. I have not found noise and vibration to be objectionable in the rear of the cabin, but personally I do find vertical movement from control inputs to be slightly more noticeable.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Originally Posted by Rambuster

I try to get row 10 or 27 if stuck in C.
If you are stuck in C? Rough life, eh?
Dianne47 likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA 1MM GLD, Hertz #1 Gold, bunch of other programs w/no status
row 10

Other than being at the front, what is the advantage of row 10? Does it have more legroom such that the seat can be reclined to fully lie-flat or something?
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:24 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by DrV
..My concern is that row 27 is way too close to the plane's tail and I dont know if the noise/vibration levels can be slightly higher than in the front but I dont know if that would be a big difference..
Not an issue on LH as they make a major effort to avoid bumpy routes (on SQ, I'd always try to sit over the wing as they navigate from thunderstorm to thunderstorm).
The cabin noise is slightly higher but you will appreciate this as the 380 is so quiet that you can hear all kind of bodily noises from your fellow primates ... the only 380 drawback, I must hasten to add.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 7:31 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by BlueZebra
If you are stuck in C? Rough life, eh?
It's LH C remember

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.