Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EC261 compensation for missed hotel night?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Premier 1K
EC261 compensation for missed hotel night?

I am sorry to start another EC261 claims thread, but I could not find another discussion with this question.

My partner flew on LH 447 last friday August 4th from Denver to Frankfurt and then was connecting onto a flight on LH to the Middle East.

The flight was supposed to leave at 17.25 and ended up leaving at 22.00. It was supposed to arrive at 11.00 the next day and ultimately arrived at 15.05.

Of course he missed his next connection. Lufthansa was nice enough to put him in a hotel and gave him a 20 euros voucher for dinner, breakfast was covered by the hotel, and then rebooked him on the same flight for Sunday, so ultimately he arrived at his ticketed destination with a delay of 24 hours.

The original cause of the delay was mechanical, the de-icing belt had to be changed, I assume that they had to wait for the part from somewhere and then they had to wait further because of a thunderstorm. I am sure that he is entitled to the 600 euros compensation, and I know from reading on here that LH will deny the claim at first, but what about lost pre paid hotel charges at the destination? Unfortunately the hotel was already booked and pre- paid. Would LH also reimburse him for that?

Any previous experiences would be appreciated.

Btw, he flew in Business Class..

Thank you very much
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:34 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
LH won't be liable for damages at the destination. Take the 600€.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
No consequential damages are covered, so the hotel room won't be reimbursed. That's something for your travel insurance. You may have an uphill battle claiming the EUR600 if thunderstorms further delayed the flight. Airline may just claim weather...
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
No consequential damages are covered, so the hotel room won't be reimbursed. That's something for your travel insurance. You may have an uphill battle claiming the EUR600 if thunderstorms further delayed the flight. Airline may just claim weather...
Yeah, I had a feeling about that, but we are still going to push for the 600 euros..thank you
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:42 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by oliver2002
LH won't be liable for damages at the destination. Take the 600€.
Ok, that is what I thought. But I wanted to double check.. Just in case..

Thank you very much
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TK Elite
The hotel @ FRA was paid by Lufthansa; on which grounds do you see LH reimbursing also the prepaid hotel reservation @ POD? There is no relevant loss as the your partner got another hotel/place to sleep in lieu of the hotel stay at destination.

Your partner should get the EUR 600 for delay, but that is it.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by SK AAR
The hotel @ FRA was paid by Lufthansa; on which grounds do you see LH reimbursing also the prepaid hotel reservation @ POD? There is no relevant loss as the your partner got another hotel/place to sleep in lieu of the hotel stay at destination.

Your partner should get the EUR 600 for delay, but that is it.
These are the rules but I disagree in principle based on the following reasoning: OP didn't choose to spend the night at FRA nor did he/she have much control over the choice of which particular hotel at FRA to use. OTOH, OP did select the hotel in the Middle East, which for all we know was better/higher category/more luxurious and more expensive than the hotel at FRA.

If I book and pay for the Steigenberger Vier Jahrzeiten, a Motel 6 provided by the airport at JFK airport isn't an equivalent substitute.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:54 am

Programs: LH M&M, BA EC, DL SM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
These are the rules but I disagree in principle based on the following reasoning: OP didn't choose to spend the night at FRA nor did he/she have much control over the choice of which particular hotel at FRA to use. OTOH, OP did select the hotel in the Middle East, which for all we know was better/higher category/more luxurious and more expensive than the hotel at FRA.

If I book and pay for the Steigenberger Vier Jahrzeiten, a Motel 6 provided by the airport at JFK airport isn't an equivalent substitute.
The rules do not say anything about an equivalent substitute for the Ritz Carlton, they say something about accommodaton, some other services and 600 Euro, which is pretty reasonable. Everything beyond that is probably part of the risks involved in traveling.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.