Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Poor SN long haul experience

Search this Thread

Old Aug 1, 2017, 9:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Poor SN long haul experience

Hi folks,

Just wanted to report on my recent SN experience on a (Y) flight to Toronto. Got an email about 15 hours before takeoff to say the flight was delayed by 24hrs from BRU to YYZ. I called and got them to transfer me to a LH flight via munich instead so delay ended up being around 6hrs total. To note that in the email on delay there were no links to your rights in such situations. I was lucky that I knew I could ask for a re-routing instead. LH was as good as usual on the flight, but the 1hr connection in Munich was surprisingly tight as passport controls were crazy. This was on 15 July.

I have of course claimed my EU 261 and it seems SN is willing to pay it (at least they asked for my bank details).

The return journey itself was fine, though I found SN long haul much inferior to LH in economy.

When I got to Brussels I found out to my delight that my bag was left in Toronto, but was assured it would be returned to me within a day. I asked for the essentials pack (I live in Brussels but was flying out again two days later and did not have toiletries, for example). It was refused to me, which I can understand, but it still didn't feel like customer care was really their priority.

Fast forward to today, 48hrs after landing in BRU, and currently waiting for my LH to Seville via MUC. I have no luggage still. It's listed in their tracing system as still missing, and there hasn't really been much help provided by SN customer service, nor by Swissport, aside from agreeing to deliver it (if they find it) to Portugal where I'll be for the next three weeks. It meant that yesterday I had to go out and buy an entire new wardrobe, toiletries etc, as well as a new suitcase.

Now to my question. How likely, in your view, is it that SN will cover the cost of these purchases if they do manage to return my bag in the next two or three days? And in the case they don't, has anyone had experience with getting refunds for purchases of all items from the suitcase? How long would it take? Would they refund everything (up to €1,200 as I understand it) even if I don't have receipts for the clothes and shoes etc that were in the case?

One final point to add some context. Swissport workers were striking in Toronto, so about 10 other passengers did not receive their luggage either. However, Swissport and Toronto airport claim on media that the strike is not having any detrimental effect on their operations.

Looking forward to hearing views, advice, etc.
Old Aug 1, 2017, 11:11 pm

Programs: A3/Gold, BA/Gold + other less precious metals
Hello. Sounds like quite a troublesome journey and I hope all gets resolved in the end. In such cases, I found that sticking to facts and being firm but without the drama helps the most (for example, claiming that even though you live in BRU you had to go out and buy "en entirely new wardrobe" will probably just raise eyebrows at SN).

So does travel insurance :-) I tend to use credit card + paid travel insurance complementary (and most of the time incrementally, as needed) to airline compensation. But you do need to keep receipts for claims, even though some airlines and insurance companies will give you "first necessity" items without receipts. Whether you will get the full amount of €1200 I believe will depend on what kind of insurance you have. SN (or the insurance company) might indeed cover the cost of the suitcase, especially (but not necessarily) if lost.

Good luck and enjoy Portugal :-)
Old Aug 3, 2017, 8:50 am
Suspended

OP you have a few things working against you 1- your bags are delayed/lost on your return flight (not many carriers give anything when you are returning back home), 2- I assume you went out and purchased everything w/o 1st getting an OK from SN a big NoNo, as most times a person is left holding having to pay out of pocket. Had you flown say YYZ-LIS that would have been something else since you never returned home. Not many carriers will ever believe that you had all of your clothes you own in the bag/s that havent shown up yet. Even buying a new bag isnt simple since most times a carrier has a room full of new bags and have the right to give you one of those over you buying one.

Ive been in your shoes a few times and any time I arrived home or purchased something w/o 1st getting an OK I was left on my own, yea the threw a bone of some miles or a small voucher my way but not much else

Its no different then when a person on their own goes out and purchases a new tkt (maybe even on another carrier) since either the phone line is hours long as is the CS desk at the airport, all too often all they get back as a refund is the fare they paid for that 1 segment that went Irrops and are left holding the bag (no pun intended) on the much more expensive walk-up tkt they purchased w/o an OK to do so

Some times a person gets lucky and the carrier refunds most if not everything, but that is very rare
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:45 am

Actually, regardless of the flight to the destination or back home, the airline is obliged to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR (about €1300). It is part of the Montreal Convention.
Old Aug 3, 2017, 12:51 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 8420PR
Actually, regardless of the flight to the destination or back home, the airline is obliged to fully compensate travelers the cost of replacement items purchased until the baggage is delivered, to a maximum of 1,131 SDR (about €1300). It is part of the Montreal Convention.
Ive flown many carriers and have had my bags delayed numerous times, never once was I told I can buy $x worth of needed clothes, even when reaching my destination. I was always given a small night bag with HBA items and told to call back in 24 hrs to see if the bag has arrived and if not then we will tell how much if anything you may spend, which was usually $0 if they had the bag and it was on its way and would reach me before the next day

But I dont know anyone who was refunded for their outlay on items if they werent authorized before hand to buy anything, not saying its not possible to get refunded but its a pita

Last edited by craz; Aug 4, 2017 at 6:57 am
Old Aug 3, 2017, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Miles&More SEN; ITA Premium, Asante Gold, IHG Platinum, BAEC Bronze, Accor Silver, Radisson Premier
Thanks for responses. The bag arrived in Brussels 72hrs after it was due and was with me in Portugal about 12hrs after that. I will try out the claims based on receipts of what I bought and will feedback here if I get anything out of SN, whether it be covering costs of toiletries, clothes, a voucher/miles or nothing. Reading the posts I'm not convinced I'll receive anything, but I'll give it a try at least to see.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 1:16 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Most carrriers usually refund necessary purchases at 100% and essential things like clothes at 50%. SN has a liability insurance for such things and shouldn't give you to much trouble.
Old Aug 4, 2017, 10:00 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by oliver2002
Most carrriers usually refund necessary purchases at 100% and essential things like clothes at 50%. SN has a liability insurance for such things and shouldn't give you to much trouble.
Last Aug on my OSL-VIE flight I had to check 2 bags, only 1 arrived. Used the Elite line at baggage office since I was a *G. Given an overnight bag and when I asked about buying things I needed for that night and next day that were in the bag that didnt arrive, I was told since I live in NY I will be refunded however Im not authorized as yet to get anything and I need to call back the next day to see if Im authorized, if I go out and buy anything now I may not be refunded.

Got lucky in as much as they only email or telefax the other station and being I had some very important and expensive items in the bag that didnt arrive,I wanted them to call OSL to see if the bag was in fact there or what happened to it. Was told only her mgr can do that, and so I waited for the mgr some 30 mins. Turns out the mgr is 1 of the mgs of VIE and as I explained things to him he called a few #s in the airport to see if by chance it was sent elsewhere. Long story short, a bag fell off a baggage cart and was lying on the tarmac somewhere, he went to check it out since it might have been mine, it was

so in the end all was good but the pt was I wasnt originally given the OK to spend $xx to buy needed items
Old Aug 5, 2017, 2:36 am

Programs: LH SEN* (*G), EBG (*G)
Originally Posted by craz
Last Aug on my OSL-VIE flight I had to check 2 bags, only 1 arrived. Used the Elite line at baggage office since I was a *G. Given an overnight bag and when I asked about buying things I needed for that night and next day that were in the bag that didnt arrive, I was told since I live in NY I will be refunded however Im not authorized as yet to get anything and I need to call back the next day to see if Im authorized, if I go out and buy anything now I may not be refunded.

Got lucky in as much as they only email or telefax the other station and being I had some very important and expensive items in the bag that didnt arrive,I wanted them to call OSL to see if the bag was in fact there or what happened to it. Was told only her mgr can do that, and so I waited for the mgr some 30 mins. Turns out the mgr is 1 of the mgs of VIE and as I explained things to him he called a few #s in the airport to see if by chance it was sent elsewhere. Long story short, a bag fell off a baggage cart and was lying on the tarmac somewhere, he went to check it out since it might have been mine, it was

so in the end all was good but the pt was I wasnt originally given the OK to spend $xx to buy needed items
Lucky you, but horrible learning experience.......
Old Aug 7, 2017, 4:38 am
Original Poster

Small update from my side on this. Regarding the 24hr delay, SN have offered the compensation of €600 without any grumbles. On the baggage, they have receipts and have asked for bank details, but as yet no final decision.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 8:12 am
Original Poster

And a final update. SN will compensate me for the expenses for delayed luggage - a total of around €150, which included clothes and toiletries. Thanks for all of your input. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with how quickly and positively they have dealt with both complaints.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:25 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ChrisBub
And a final update. SN will compensate me for the expenses for delayed luggage - a total of around €150, which included clothes and toiletries. Thanks for all of your input. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised with how quickly and positively they have dealt with both complaints.
Nice, wish OS was as forthcoming before they knew that my bag was actually there and not lost. Then again I wish this would happen when my bag/s back to NY dont show up and all Im told is since you arrived back home we wont be authorizing any money to buy anything since you are back home

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.