Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LH service in the 70's

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2017, 3:09 pm
Uli

Thank you sooooooooooooo much! I could actually spot my mom on two of the pages as a LH stewardess at that time. She was quite touched to see that people are still interested in this kind of "old stuff".
Old Apr 22, 2017, 6:43 am
Accor Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC GO, IHG, OZ, NH (no longer UA MP*G thanks to SMJ)(no longer A3 *G due to COVID))
Originally Posted by Uli
Thank you sooooooooooooo much! I could actually spot my mom on two of the pages as a LH stewardess at that time.
How amazing to hear this!
Old Apr 22, 2017, 8:10 am
Original Poster

Uli: ^
Old Apr 22, 2017, 10:11 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources

Programs: LH SEN
Flying was expensive, uncomfortable and time consuming back then. The famous banana boat routes took days to get to your destination. All that food was to make the time fly, so to speak.
Old Apr 22, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: QR Gold, TK Gold
one of my earliest recollections is a flight from MUC (?) to LAX in 1983 as a 3 year old...

It seemed to take ages but I really can't remember if and where we stopped on the way.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 5:42 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Flying was expensive, uncomfortable and time consuming back then. The famous banana boat routes took days to get to your destination. All that food was to make the time fly, so to speak.
Hardly time consuming in the 1970s. Also compared to now, economy class was pretty good.
Old Apr 23, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lhrpete
Also compared to now, economy class was pretty good.
That was still true in the early 90's. Seat pitch on the 747 was generous, even for my > 1.85m. Seats in F and C, on the other hand, were horrible, compared to todays's standards.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:31 am

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Interesting to see that back in the days LH flew even to Asuncin and La Paz. Now their South American offer is so much smaller.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by krzysz
Interesting to see that back in the days LH flew even to Asuncin and La Paz. Now their South American offer is so much smaller.
Yep, great routing for the La Paz flights. Frankfurt-San Juan-Bogota-Lima-La Paz. On a 747.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 3:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
I remember the upper deck lounge very well as a kid travelling with (and sometimes without) his parents. Those were the days.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by curt
That was still true in the early 90's. Seat pitch on the 747 was generous, even for my > 1.85m. Seats in F and C, on the other hand, were horrible, compared to todays's standards.
It's kind of symbolic for society as a whole and the way wealth has become more and more concentrated. Back then the gap between the classes of service wasn't huge: premium was worse than today, economy better than today. Today we are moving toward the concept of hotel room in front, Salvadoran prison in the back.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: Eurostar Carte Blanche, SBB-CFF-FFS GA-AG, SNCF Grand Voyageur LeClub
Originally Posted by Ber2dca
It's kind of symbolic for society as a whole and the way wealth has become more and more concentrated. Back then the gap between the classes of service wasn't huge: premium was worse than today, economy better than today. Today we are moving toward the concept of hotel room in front, Salvadoran prison in the back.
Maybe there also is a less Pikettyian / Schulzian explanation, which is that in all areas of life demand patterns have "polarised". People don't go for the middle ground anymore, but rather go to extremes when they value something/spend a lot, or go to savings extremes when they don't. In Germany the concept is called "Mit dem Porsche zum Aldi". It's one and the same person, nothing to do with concentration of wealth.

Something similar is true in airline travel.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 7:48 pm

Programs: LatamPass Gold, SAS EBB, M&M
Originally Posted by San Gottardo
Yep, great routing for the La Paz flights. Frankfurt-San Juan-Bogota-Lima-La Paz. On a 747.
It's not about the routing, but about the destinations. Except for BOG, none of the ones above is served by LH any more. Not even Lima, the largest capital city on the continent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.