Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2016, 10:49 am

Programs: LH SEN
Originally Posted by oliver2002
Next time you are in a aircraft, try to read the placard inside the bin that shows the rating of max weight the bin latch can take. On older A320series its 32 KG. I'm sure the risk assesment goes into play when aircraft manufacturers design overhead bins. The newer A320 and A330 bins have higher ratings.
Have seen that placard many times and always wondered how much over strength is packed in those bins. I usually have a small backpack that with PC, tablet, work stuff quite easily gets to 8 kg and certainly 5 could fit in the bin.

Recently I have helped a woman put a trolley in the bin. How heavy it was! Even asked here if she is a geologist and had packed rocks.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 2:38 am

Programs: BRK-B
Carry on enforcement at gate (FRA)

I have 2 questions:

- Do they often enforce the carry on rule at the gate at FRA? My flight is on E190.
- For the (EUR99) upgraded intra-European ticket, do the passenger get extra allowance FOR CARRY-ON?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:08 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Noppasit
- Do they often enforce the carry on rule at the gate at FRA? My flight is on E190.
Weight or size? I have no experience but it's possible on the E190 as space is limited.

- For the (EUR99) upgraded intra-European ticket, do the passenger get extra allowance FOR CARRY-ON?
Yes, as you will see on this page.
http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...171791909&l=en
Old Aug 22, 2016, 3:27 am

I have 2 carry-on baggages (arr. from TG C)
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:42 am

I have 2 questions:

I travel on those planes on a regular basis because of my weekly commute and I've never seen any gate enforcement at either FRA or MUC.

G
Old Aug 22, 2016, 7:56 am

My interpretation of this thread so far:

He is arriving in TG C and he has 2 carry-on.
He then has a flight in LH Eco. (Separate tickets???)
He wants to know if LH enforces the number of carry-on (= 1 in Eco) or should he buy the 99 Euro upgrade in order to have 2 carry-on without problems...

Or do I miss something here?
Old Aug 22, 2016, 8:18 am

Yes, the LH ticket is separated from TG, I just want to know how often LH enforces carry on baggage at the gate (i.e. gate check).
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:05 pm

Programs: M&M SEN, Amex Plat, Club Carlson, Marriott, HHonors & Accor Gold, Velocity Silver, Qantas Bronze
Yes, the LH ticket is separated from TG, I just want to know how often LH enforces carry on baggage at the gate (i.e. gate check).
If you are entitled to one and carry two, then I sincerely hope they do enforce it...
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:37 pm

Programs: LH*S (FTL), OZ*G, Accor gold, HH Diamond
It is very unlikely, that they will enforce one carry-on.
At LH you are allowed to take second item of carry-on baggage (max. 30 x 40 x 10 cm, e.g. handbag, laptop bag).
Old Aug 23, 2016, 12:36 am

Originally Posted by SPlDER
It is very unlikely, that they will enforce one carry-on.
At LH you are allowed to take second item of carry-on baggage (max. 30 x 40 x 10 cm, e.g. handbag, laptop bag).
LH does enforce it (not as rigid as LX, but they've also started more and more)

When you're flying Y and bringing two "max" hand luggages, you can expect trouble. Not guaranteed, but good chance they'll force you to checkin one (and that's rather costly at the gate)

An Up-Sell to C in this situation, especially if the other ammenities will be used as well (lounge, mostly ) might be a good idea..
Old Aug 23, 2016, 2:50 am

OP is a TG*G, so if they board with other C-pax I think they'd be fine.
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by klausa
OP is a TG*G, so if they board with other C-pax I think they'd be fine.
That's quite a gamble..

An E190 is a small aircraft, so they might very well do general checks (in case they're fully loaded) and having 2 regular handluggage might very well make them scrutineer him more carefully if he's flying C or Y.. (Intra-Europe, probably more than half of those using priority boarding are flying in Y, especially on some routes)

And I'm fairly sure LH wants to make extra money from checked luggage, they've not introduced those Light fares for fun

All in all, it's a gamble if you try to sneak in two luggages - if OP is willing to take it, fair game. I'd just be ready in case they'll present him with a nice bill of 45€..
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:55 am

Lufstansa carry on rules

Trying to find the answer but can't find it explicitly. Flying economy from Florence to Munich to Chicago to Raleigh (last flight on united - so I know their rules). Can I take a standard carry on and a personal item? or am I limited to just a standard carry on?
Old Aug 23, 2016, 6:32 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Scotttyd
Trying to find the answer but can't find it explicitly. Flying economy from Florence to Munich to Chicago to Raleigh (last flight on united - so I know their rules). Can I take a standard carry on and a personal item? or am I limited to just a standard carry on?
A standard carry-on plus a personal item. Dimension and weight may be found here: http://www.lufthansa.com/de/en/Carry-on-baggage
Old Aug 23, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by YuropFlyer
All in all, it's a gamble if you try to sneak in two luggages - if OP is willing to take it, fair game. I'd just be ready in case they'll present him with a nice bill of 45€..
Does the fee also apply if the OP hadn't maxed out their checked baggage allowance?

(which obviously wouldn't apply on Light fares since LH refuses to honor the *G baggage allowance on those fares).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.