Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, Brussels, LOT and Other Partners | Miles & More
Reload this Page >

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

'Baggage Excellence' Campaign: carry on rules check/enforcement [feedback]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2015, 10:06 am

Programs: UA OG-1K, Marriott Plat, Hertz PC
Isn't there a weight limit also. I've got bags that can meet the size limits, but loaded for a week long TATL, I am way over the weight of like 12kgs?
Old Feb 21, 2015, 1:19 pm

I have seen check-in agents asking to weigh hand luggage, and making a fuss with customers in C.

If you only have hand luggage you can risk it by doing OLCI and going straight to the gate. As long as you can comfortably lift your bag to the bins I doubt you'll get caught. But of course you're playing with fire.
Old Feb 28, 2015, 7:28 pm

Connecting to LH at EWR in coach, am I going to have a problem carrying on a large handbag as a personal item in addition to my roller bag? There is conflicting information whether or not LH is allowing one carryon only, no personal item.
Old Mar 1, 2015, 2:34 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Tizzette
Connecting to LH at EWR in coach, am I going to have a problem carrying on a large handbag as a personal item in addition to my roller bag? There is conflicting information whether or not LH is allowing one carryon only, no personal item.
Under 'Other hand luggage rules' on this page, you will find:

Also allowed in the cabin: another item of hand luggage (max. 30 x 40 x 10 cm, e.g. handbag, laptop bag), one baby carrier per child or a childs car seat or a foldable pushchair/buggy (may have to be transported in the cargo hold) and wheelchairs/orthopaedic aids (e.g. walking aids).
So most large handbags should be fine.
Old Mar 3, 2015, 9:32 am

Originally Posted by NewbieRunner
Under 'Other hand luggage rules' on this page, you will find:

So most large handbags should be fine.
I do not wish to be intrusive, but above is not my experience. All of my (far too many) office briefcases are large then 30x40x10 on one or two sizes, and if I may add, after very recent intensive internet search, think of hundred plus known labels, I found less than five decent briefcases which qualify to that size. Tumi has two or three models, and then my favorite, Offermann.de has a few as well. Times changed when only a small journal and pen was all we carried in the past, but today with all electronic gear (in my case 15" notebook), and a slim file, 30x40x10 briefcase will be jammed. 8kg limit on carry on flying LH is not helping much, especially when lightest decent 55cm suitcase is 4kg net.
Old Mar 4, 2015, 9:03 am

I had read the posted rules. At EWR yesterday, the gate wasn't checking anybody's bag for size or weight.
Old Mar 28, 2015, 8:25 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, IHG Gold
Here is my situation, would like some feedback. Wife and kids flying home from Europe next week. XXX-FRA-PHL.

Each kid as a 20" roller bag and a backpack. Also there are 2 larger sized checked pieces (for total of 3 people). If the kids carry on their rollers (A320 flight to FRA), and the agent deems them too big, will they gate check them or check them through to final destination?

If they check them through to final destination what does that do for the luggage allowance? They'd have 4 checked bags for 3 people (on a Y itinerary, wife has no status and I'm not traveling with them.)

Thanks.
Old Mar 30, 2015, 3:54 am
Moderator: Lufthansa Miles & More, India based airlines, India, External Miles & Points Resources
Original Poster

Programs: LH SEN
Gate checked bags usually don't attract luggage charges. That said 20 inch bags should be fine and if they are checked in, it will be to the final destination.
Old Apr 15, 2015, 2:53 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Cabin Luggage weight

How strict is LH with cabin baggage weight?

I will be flying UA to FRA, then LH FRA to IST (then TK to ASR on a separate ticket). Given I will be flying 3 airlines, have no idea how reliable the airlines and airports are for bags, and don't know if I can interline to a separate ticket leaving 25hrs after first flight), I am contemplating just carrying my bag.

UA doesnt have a weight limit on carry-on bags, only on dimensions (which are pretty much the same). I will have a laptop bag and a rollaboard. The later will probably be just under 15kg, well over LH's limit. I heard that the weight is checked at the LH checking counter. Does this mean it typically is not checked at the gate?
Old Apr 15, 2015, 4:26 pm

Yes, LH usually doesn't check weight of the carry on at the gates. You might only run in trouble if the rollaboard looks to be to big and gets to checked then.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 7:14 am

Programs: LH Miles and More, DL SkyMiles, Bonvoy, Hilton
Originally Posted by eng3
How strict is LH with cabin baggage weight?

I will be flying UA to FRA, then LH FRA to IST (then TK to ASR on a separate ticket). Given I will be flying 3 airlines, have no idea how reliable the airlines and airports are for bags, and don't know if I can interline to a separate ticket leaving 25hrs after first flight), I am contemplating just carrying my bag.

UA doesnt have a weight limit on carry-on bags, only on dimensions (which are pretty much the same). I will have a laptop bag and a rollaboard. The later will probably be just under 15kg, well over LH's limit. I heard that the weight is checked at the LH checking counter. Does this mean it typically is not checked at the gate?
Carry bags are not typically checked at the gate, but it does happen.

Originally Posted by fassy
Yes, LH usually doesn't check weight of the carry on at the gates. You might only run in trouble if the rollaboard looks to be to big and gets to checked then.
Usually is the operative word. IME, if the flight is full, the LH gate folks will sometimes look carefully at bags that don't have a cabin baggage tag, and appear to be "large". My mileage has varied. Though my hand baggage is typically well under max dimensions, it is often as not overweight (it is amazing how quickly one goes over 8kg with a sturdy piece of luggage, plus a couple of electronic gizmos with power supplies and a few paper files and an emergency change of clothes).

My strategy is to risk it, but also to be prepared to offload any critical items from non-conforming bag into a bag or something in case it has to be checked. As long as the bag isn't pushing to the last centimeter of size limits, you should not have a problem.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 9:12 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Now that I think of it, since I'm star gold, I should get some boarding priority so maybe it won't be a big deal. Having them check the bag shouldn't be the end of the world, I don't think I should get charged a fee being star gold.

I still haven't decided if I will try to check thru (phl-ord-fra-ist-asr). Flying UA/LH/TK, IST-ASR being a separate ticket. It just feels like the bag has a high likelihood of getting lost even with 3hr connections and that isnt a fun way to start a vacation.
Old Apr 16, 2015, 2:37 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by fassy
Usually not, but on flights to IST usually they are stingy.

The best way to avoid gate check is saying that you have a connection at IST, which is more difficult for ground staff to handle (and for OP as well, of course).
Old May 19, 2015, 10:11 pm

Programs: UA Gold, DL Silver, Hertz PC, Avis Pref+, Accor Silver
8kg limit enforced in Milan MXP

Checked in today at MXP for a short haul, 1st leg of 4 (TATL).

Y tkt, *G - was told to get my hand luggage under 8kg. I know that this is the legal limit, but from my experience - LH - *G - usually lets it slide, especially for long flights - is MXP different ??
Old May 20, 2015, 2:41 am

Programs: AA, AS, AC, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG
Was the flight full? Who requested the check? Check-in Agent or Gate Agent?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.