LAX Terminal 4 getting better food options

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX Terminal 4 getting better food options

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2011, 11:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
What's the story with this Cole's that is claiming to be the originator of French dip sandwiches?

I thought that the undisputed inventor of the French dip sandwich was a different LA institution - Philippe "The Original" on Alameda (?) just north of LAUPT?
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:39 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Wirelessly posted (htc Evo 4G: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Both restaurants claim to have first created the "French dipped" sandwich. The dispute has been discussed on Snopes and Wikipedia. I'd post links, but it is quite cumbersome to do so from my phone. Just Google the terms "Cole's", "Philippe's" and "French dipped sandwich."
Old Jul 17, 2011, 12:49 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wirelessly posted (htc Evo 4G: Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.3; en-us; Sprint APA9292KT Build/GRI40) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

Both restaurants claim to have first created the "French dipped" sandwich. The dispute has been discussed on Snopes and Wikipedia. I'd post links, but it is quite cumbersome to do so from my phone. Just Google the terms "Cole's", "Philippe's" and "French dipped sandwich."
Old Jul 17, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by TWA884
Just read the Snopes article on the Cole's vs. Philippe French dipped dispute. Fascinating. And looks like it will forever remain an unsolved mystery.

Now I'm looking forward to a LAX connection to sample a Cole's sandwich. I'm a big fan of Philippe's French dip (the beef version is very good, the lamb even better!) so can't wait to check out the competition. Just hope that HMS Host's version does the real thing justice...
Old Jul 17, 2011, 2:47 pm
uxb

Programs: AC, AS, BA, DL, HH (D), MR (T/LTP), UA (*S), UScAAre (PLT/1,87MM), WN
Originally Posted by Herb687
Just read the Snopes article on the Cole's vs. Philippe French dipped dispute. Fascinating. And looks like it will forever remain an unsolved mystery.

Now I'm looking forward to a LAX connection to sample a Cole's sandwich. I'm a big fan of Philippe's French dip (the beef version is very good, the lamb even better!) so can't wait to check out the competition. Just hope that HMS Host's version does the real thing justice...
My foodie friends and I have found Cole's to be the better sandwich. YMMV? Anyway, enjoy!
Old Feb 20, 2012, 12:39 pm

Programs: AA Advantage, United Mileage Plus, IHG Platinum Elite
LAX Terminal 4 Concession Redevelopment

For those of you who fly AA out of LAX/ Terminal 4

LAX Terminal 4 Concession Redevelopment

In early January, Los Angeles World Airports (LAWA) will embark on a project to redevelop our Concession offerings in Terminal 4.

In addition, you will notice that LAWA has no plan to offer a branded coffee offering such as Starbucks that is currently available. We are pursuing this at the highest levels within LAWA, since I expect we will likely receive complaints from customers if they cannot purchase a branded coffee offering on the Concourse. There is a plan however, to construct a Starbucks on the Baggage Claim Level where the vacated rental car counters currently exist.

As part of the Concession Redevelopment Plan, you will begin to notice construction on the Concourse and on the ramp level in the vicinity of Pier 18 at the Outbound Bag Room and at Gate 40.
Old Feb 23, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Thanks for the info, but is there a link missing? Where's the information about the branded coffee (or lack thereof), and is there a list of planned offerings? I like LAX T4 but the current "food" options are a major weak spot, so improvements would be very welcome!
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by Science Goy
Thanks for the info, but is there a link missing? Where's the information about the branded coffee (or lack thereof), and is there a list of planned offerings? I like LAX T4 but the current "food" options are a major weak spot, so improvements would be very welcome!
Look on response #54 for the new offerings. Starbucks is 'planned' to be at baggage claim area. Who wants a coffee when you are leaving the airport?
I did try and download the list and map, but it is 'not for copy'.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 12:00 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MargaretM
...Who wants a coffee when you are leaving the airport?
:raiseshand:

Appreciate the opportunity to get a coffee or a frap at baggage claim at airports like PDX, SFO, MSP, etc.
Old Feb 24, 2012, 9:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Look on response #54 for the new offerings. Starbucks is 'planned' to be at baggage claim area. Who wants a coffee when you are leaving the airport?
Someone with an early-morning arrival?
Old Feb 25, 2012, 9:55 am

Who wants a coffee when you are leaving the airport?
There will be a coffee bar in the departures area.
HMSHOST BRINGS THE BEST OF L.A. DINING TO LAX INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT WITH NEW 10 YEAR AGREEMENT FOR TERMINAL 4
LAX travelers will be greeted by Fashid Hakim’s La Provence Patisserie & Café. Known for great lattes, wonderfully fresh salads and sandwiches, and amazing baked goods, La Provence Patisserie & Café is a West L.A. destination where even celebrities stand in line for the flavor of the Left Bank. The aroma that will waft through the airport’s La Provence Patisserie & Café will come from its Intelligentsia gourmet coffee—a wonderful complement to its signature tasty macaroons or cupcakes.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by cblaisd
:raiseshand:

Appreciate the opportunity to get a coffee or a frap at baggage claim at airports like PDX, SFO, MSP, etc.
I stand corrected... I, myself am always rushing to leave the airport and drive the 130+ miles home.
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:12 am

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by bbmatt
OMG, Campinile, la provance, 8oz burger bar!!!

T4 is turning into SFO int'l terminal where they have some of the City's best food in the airports!!!

totally excited for this!
I'm excited to finally be able to try 8oz Burger Bar. My partner and I tried to visit their former L.A. location last Halloween after reading about it and making a note for our next L.A. visit, only to find them closed, shuttered, gone. They sound great: all-natural, humanely-raised beef, lots of other interesting options.

Originally Posted by MAH4546
AA wants easier connections to AS, which is moving to T6, which is connected to T5 by a similar tunnel. DL doesn't want AA having that conviencne. In the end it doesn't matter that DL doesn't want it open, DL has no power to stop AA from having it opened.
I'd love easier connections between AA and AS. When will this be available?

Originally Posted by nkedel
But do they have normal-sized burgers, or only oversize half-pounders?
Their Miami menu lists smaller burgers and plenty of non-burger choices. Their home page makes the food sound great.

Originally Posted by HNL
Why can't the airport could solve the space constraints issue by utilizing the old Admirals Club space on the 3rd floor for an expanded food court with a variety of sit down restaurants.
Where is the old AC space?

Originally Posted by sandiego-flyer
What about using the space downstairs once they permanently vacate the passport control area.
They're permanently vacating the passport control area? You mean no more Immigration (and Customs) in T4?

In addition, you will notice that LAWA has no plan to offer a branded coffee offering such as Starbucks that is currently available. We are pursuing this at the highest levels within LAWA, since I expect we will likely receive complaints from customers if they cannot purchase a branded coffee offering on the Concourse.
Where is this quote from? Who is the "we" that expects to receive complaints? AA? LAWA? Someone else?
Old Apr 24, 2012, 12:33 am

Programs: WN, AA, HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*
Does anyone have any up-to-date information on how construction is progressing, or has it not started yet? Is anything new open? Is anything at all open? I have a flight at noon on Wednesday and need to know if I need to bring my own lunch. Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2012, 10:56 am

Originally Posted by AJSpark
Does anyone have any up-to-date information on how construction is progressing, or has it not started yet? Is anything new open? Is anything at all open? I have a flight at noon on Wednesday and need to know if I need to bring my own lunch. Thanks!
I saw things boarded off across from the far Starbucks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.