Wiki Posts
Search

What to do with 311K miles?

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2005, 2:42 pm
BJJ
Original Poster

What to do with 311K miles?

Hi. I used to be a daily visitor here, but I've been out of touch. I made the Million mile run, but sadly only got 500K because of technicality.

Can somebody tell me why my Globalpass mileage balance shows balance of 311046 miles and "available miles" of 2000? What are "available miles"?

I used a some of the miles back when I could book on US Air, and transfer to Hilton Honors. My miles are still good through May '06, and I guess I'll extend them another 3 years - any suggestions on how to show activity in my account? I know I can buy miles for $15, and probably do that unless somebody has a better suggestion. I'd like to just use them somehow. Costa Rica sounds great, as do any number of central american destinations.

I live in Alabama. Memphis is in driveable range, but KLM looks just about impossible, and there may be only Northwest flights out of there anyway.

Is there an airline that flies out of Atlanta that I can use my GP miles with?

I appreciate any advice I can get ........
BJJ
Old May 24, 2005, 3:31 pm
Suspended

I think IAH is the closet or MIA for selection. In order to keep them alive just put a hotel stay or car rental say 1 day to GP. I do this every so often with a Thrifty 1 or 2 day rental.
Old May 24, 2005, 10:20 pm

Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
Originally Posted by BJJ
Hi. I used to be a daily visitor here, but I've been out of touch. I made the Million mile run, but sadly only got 500K because of technicality.

Can somebody tell me why my Globalpass mileage balance shows balance of 311046 miles and "available miles" of 2000? What are "available miles"?

I used a some of the miles back when I could book on US Air, and transfer to Hilton Honors. My miles are still good through May '06, and I guess I'll extend them another 3 years - any suggestions on how to show activity in my account? I know I can buy miles for $15, and probably do that unless somebody has a better suggestion. I'd like to just use them somehow. Costa Rica sounds great, as do any number of central american destinations.

I live in Alabama. Memphis is in driveable range, but KLM looks just about impossible, and there may be only Northwest flights out of there anyway.

Is there an airline that flies out of Atlanta that I can use my GP miles with?

I appreciate any advice I can get ........
BJJ
You can only use 50% of the "bonus miles" for any kind of awards, the remaining have to be "available" miles which are from activity. Staying in a Hilton property and using the double dip for Globalpass is a way to keep your account active. OR as previously stated use car rentals or fly on globalpass airlines. I have just under 500,000 of my million miles left as "bonus miles" and may never have a chance to use them ...
Old May 25, 2005, 7:19 am

That really SUCKS! When did Golbal Fraud start this 50% nonsense? I have 190,000 miles left from my million. I guess I should have burned them when I could, but I gotta work once in a while!
Old May 25, 2005, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Originally Posted by Schutzee
That really SUCKS! When did Golbal Fraud start this 50% nonsense? I have 190,000 miles left from my million. I guess I should have burned them when I could, but I gotta work once in a while!
Is there some confusion over Bonus Miles?? Are these just the miles earned by hotel stays, car rentals, etc. Or are we including the Bonus earned back with Million Mile program as Bonus Miles. I hope the former.

Does GP not allow one to use the Million Miles Bonuses alone for travel. Or does one need 50% of requirement to come from actual flying miles?? As of 6 months ago, one could use the Million Mile Program miles completly for travel without any actual flying miles. Changed?

Also -- one used to (have not checked recently) be able to get bonus miles from GP to keep acct. active by buying one (or was it 2) of their keychains direct from them for, I think, $15. Should post instantly (which is 30 days for GP ) as buying direct from them.
Old May 25, 2005, 4:18 pm

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler
GP DOES allow you to use "only" the miles earned from the Million Miles Bonus for travel. I just booked 5 tickets from CHI to EZE using only bonus miles.
Old May 25, 2005, 4:31 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, WN CP, Latin Pass Bonus
Thought so.

I think Schutzee thought differently. I believe the post was miles from hotels, car rentals, etc. can only make up 50% of one's Award travel. But wanted someone with more recent experience to clarify. As we know GP/LP programs change with the wind. Thanks
Old May 25, 2005, 4:52 pm

The other 50% rule that might be causing the confusion is the one that limits "Miles as Money" awards to using 50% bonus miles. In this case, the million miles promo miles are definitely considered bonus. Regular "Global" awards on Taca or KLM are not affected by this 50% rule..
Old May 26, 2005, 7:24 am

Sorry, I misunderstood. I am very glad that vandykes44 reports the ability to use our million miles alone for awards!
Old May 27, 2005, 9:20 am

Programs: United 1K
With the KLM increase in mileage awards it looks like I'm back to using my miles to visit South America. Can't very well complain how wonderful the Million Mile run has been for all of us.
Old May 30, 2005, 12:28 pm

Programs: LatinPass MM, HH Diamond, NW Platinum, Delta DM MM, SPG
OOOOPS! I guess I was misunderstanding the 50% rule. Sorry! Maybe there is still hope to use all my miles for flights ...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.