Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > LATAM | LATAM Pass
Reload this Page >

Help cancelling BIZ seats with full refund

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2012, 10:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat

I purchased two round trip BIZ saver seats from SYD to AKL departing 17 March 2012. The reason I did the purchase was that it was refundable. I no longer need the tickets and am trying to get a refund from LAN. LAN is telling me they will charge me $140 per person to refund ($280 total). The Fare is IEEEV221. The document LAN sent me with the e-ticket receipt states the following: Refunds are permitted on or before fight departure day without any charge.

I have called LAN twice, both times the refuse to issue refund without penalty. Any thoughts on how to address this?
Old Mar 2, 2012, 5:36 pm

Programs: LANPASS Comodoro (Emerald), others
Hi. What reason are they giving you for the charge when you point out the fare basis?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
The "I" fares have had various rates of change/refund fees, from completely refundable to completely non-refundable. In fact, your fare basis may have changed from one to the other (with the same exact code). So, you have to push them not only showing them your receipt but to look up the historical fare for that fare basis as of your issue date. Give them one more chance, and then dispute the charge in full.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 4:43 pm

Yes, but EV is a full business fare family and, as so, is advertized as having all the benefits...
Old Mar 4, 2012, 3:38 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
I have had continued issues with LAN not respecting their own rules and impose penalties not informed before, on full fare tickets.

I only buy LAN tickets with a credit card and if/when a refund is needed I ask the credit card admin for a full refund, ticket rules attached, claiming LAN is not honouring their own rules.

Unfortunately LAN proves not to be a serious ethical corporation.

If you purchased with a credit card strongly suggest you deal instead with your credit card.
Old Mar 9, 2012, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat
Thanks for the tips. Here is status/ what happened. Called LAN a few more times, nothing resolved. Finally was provided a different number, 1-888-526-1526. Pressed option 4 but was disconnected. After a few tries, got connected to a live customer service agent and the phone line was clear. Discussed the issue. She then sent me a email to send my documents to her. I asked her to hold the line, I sent them while she was on the line. She read the documents, confirmed they stated fully refundable, and issued ne a claim #. Stated credit would come to my credit card in about 28 days.

Thanks for all the help!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: LAN Commodore
¡¡Unbelievable!! Anyway, mas vale tarde que nunca (better late than never).
Old Mar 9, 2012, 3:44 pm

Super... Thanks for updating us, especially since you managed a happy ending
Old Jun 5, 2012, 9:49 am

Programs: Mucci des canapes, Skywards Gold, BAEC, IC Plat Amb, LH FTV
Sorry to hijack the thread but may be relevant if the OP has not received the refund to his CC yet.
I cancelled a LAN SA Airpass on 10th April and was told that a refund would take up to 42 days. Nothing has been received and i phoned today to show that throe records show the refund had been sent on 16th April. They are looking into it and promising to let me know tomorrow.
anyone any similar experience and should I expect a smoothly happy outcome?
Old Jun 6, 2012, 6:20 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, LANPass
LAN refund's are a mess

I had to return a fully refundable ticket last year, got through the process of getting a LAN agent to acknowledge the refund and give a case number. The promise was first 15 days for the refund, then 30 days, then 30 working days... I ended up taking the problem with my credit card and getting the charge reversed through them, since every time I called LAN they just came up with a new excuse.

Originally Posted by pomkiwi
Sorry to hijack the thread but may be relevant if the OP has not received the refund to his CC yet.
I cancelled a LAN SA Airpass on 10th April and was told that a refund would take up to 42 days. Nothing has been received and i phoned today to show that throe records show the refund had been sent on 16th April. They are looking into it and promising to let me know tomorrow.
anyone any similar experience and should I expect a smoothly happy outcome?
Old Jun 7, 2012, 2:54 pm

Phoned LAN again and spoke to the team. Remembered who I was and are still waiting on the reply from the accounts dept. I remain hopeful and will leave it until after the weekend before giving the problem to Amex to sort....
Old Jun 26, 2012, 12:02 am

Well it took 3 phone calls but in the end LAN did sort the refund.

Rather more helpful than Amex who insisted on something in writing from LAN that they would refund me and were not prepared to take a copy of the fare conditions and confirmation of cancellation as evidence....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.