Search

SCL-IPC tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2014, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
SCL-IPC tickets

My OH and I will be travelling to Chile by cruise ship and want to visit Easter Island from there. We have no OW miles other than some US ones.

I've also been looking at the Lan.cl website and noticed that fares on the .cl site run CLP 600,000-1,000,000 which make them as much or not more than those for foreigners (.ca/.us sites)?

We need to end up in LIM before heading home. I haven't been able to find any IPC-LIM flights in early November so is this service seasonal?
Old Jul 31, 2014, 5:28 pm

Programs: LATAM PASS Black Signature, AA EXP 3MM, BA Blue
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
We need to end up in LIM before heading home. I haven't been able to find any IPC-LIM flights in early November so is this service seasonal?
LAN no longer operates IPC-LIM. LAN currently offers 8 weekly flights on the SCL-IPC route and 9 daily flights on the SCL-LIM route.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Bought SCL-IPC-SCL-LIM-CUZ-LIM-SCL tickets as that was the cheapest combo.

Have a question re: arrival in SCL from IPC. If the flight is turning around (SCL-IPC-SCL), is the flight into SCL considered domestic of int'l. I'd have to pay the reciprocity fee but my wife has another passport which allows her to avoid paying it.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Bought SCL-IPC-SCL-LIM-CUZ-LIM-SCL tickets as that was the cheapest combo.

Have a question re: arrival in SCL from IPC. If the flight is turning around (SCL-IPC-SCL), is the flight into SCL considered domestic of int'l. I'd have to pay the reciprocity fee but my wife has another passport which allows her to avoid paying it.
You'd have already paid reciprocity if you were already in SCL to start with.

I thought I'd heard this fee was going away, at least for US citizens...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/south...eb-2014-a.html

You might recheck the policy for Canucks.

It is possible the flight might be regarded as Int'l since I believe it may originate in Tahiti or perhaps even further west.

Last edited by Doc Savage; Aug 6, 2014 at 4:31 pm
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

It's still in effect for Canadians, and I am entering Chile by sea.

The ticket I bought on LAN.com came with this:

Check in at the airport at least 2 hours before your flight’s departure for Easter Island, as the trip is considered an international flight.
Though it does say TO and not "From"...

FWIW, the flights I'm booked on don't continue to/from PPT
Old Aug 6, 2014, 4:51 pm
Suspended

IPC is definitely Chile, so I'd bet that the flight will be treated by customs as a domestic flight, especially since it is not a connection for somewhere outside the country.

Does Chile still charge the reciprocity only for incoming flights and not seaports? Argentina has started requiring it at all ports of entry. As of four years ago, Chile was just at airports.

Just interested, what cruise are you taking into Chile? I did Valparaiso to BsAs a few years ago - beautiful!
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
IPC is definitely Chile, so I'd bet that the flight will be treated by customs as a domestic flight, especially since it is not a connection for somewhere outside the country.
I hope so too, and with a week-old Chilean entry stamp to boot.

Does Chile still charge the reciprocity only for incoming flights and not seaports? Argentina has started requiring it at all ports of entry. As of four years ago, Chile was just at airports.
Still only for arrivals into SCL it seems.

Just interested, what cruise are you taking into Chile? I did Valparaiso to BsAs a few years ago - beautiful!
It's low-end but Holland America Zaandam Vancouver-Valparaiso. From US$1,499 p.p. for an inside or totally-obstructed view currently and I bet it will continue going down.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 5:46 pm
Suspended

That sounds like a great cruise! Enjoy the rest of the trip as well.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:35 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
It's still in effect for Canadians, and I am entering Chile by sea.

The ticket I bought on LAN.com came with this:

Though it does say TO and not "From"...

FWIW, the flights I'm booked on don't continue to/from PPT
I flew last week from IPC to SCL and both the flight from SCL and IPC were treated as domestic flights. The only visible difference was that they closed checkin earlier than normally (60 minutes before departure?). I guess lan.com has this comment because of the aircraft type and they need more to load luggage/cargo (cars, coolers etc).
Old Aug 6, 2014, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Follow up

I called LAN and the agent wherever it connected me to was pretty useless.

I fired an e-mail to the consulate in Vancouver who said that since I was not flying from abroad... Hope they're right. Letter is in English and not Spanish unfortunately.
Old Aug 9, 2014, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Marriott Platinium
As long you are not taking the PPT-SCL (with a technical stop at IPC) you will not have any problem. The daily flight from SCL-IPC-SCL is a domestic flight, the one a week flight (SCL-IPC on Mon, IPC-SCL on Tue) is considered an international flight.

EDIT: is not clear, now I see you have SCL-LIM-CUZ-LIM-SCL, in that case you will need to pay the fee unless you have a connection at SCL
Old Aug 10, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fedechat
EDIT: is not clear, now I see you have SCL-LIM-CUZ-LIM-SCL, in that case you will need to pay the fee unless you have a connection at SCL
Sorry, should have added that I'm tossing LIM-SCL (Due to cheap DL Z fare LIM-YVR ). Cheaper to buy the r/t and toss the last leg (on a 787!).

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; Aug 10, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Old Aug 16, 2014, 4:03 am

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red
I'm looking at SCL-IPC flights and my dates are flexible.

Economy return is around £423.
Business return is around £1000, although lastminute.com are selling this for around £600.

Is this price unrealistic? How likely do you think I am to sit in business class, without any extra charges changes from lastminute, if I book that ticket?
Old Aug 16, 2014, 6:59 am

Programs: A3 Gold, BA Silver
Booking SCL-IPC-SCL tickets through non-Chilean website is almost always very bad idea as the cheapest flights can only booked at Chilean version of lan.com. I flew last month in business class to IPC and paid ~600 euros (450 000 pesos =~ 800 usd).
Old Aug 16, 2014, 5:38 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Virgin Red
Originally Posted by miikkak
Booking SCL-IPC-SCL tickets through non-Chilean website is almost always very bad idea as the cheapest flights can only booked at Chilean version of lan.com. I flew last month in business class to IPC and paid ~600 euros (450 000 pesos =~ 800 usd).
I'm looking on the Chilean lan.com as you suggest, and I can see the business class return for under 600 euros - thanks!

Did you encounter any problems buying and receiving tickets with a European address, or is it an identical process (albeit requiring a little Google translation from Spanish)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.