Reload this Page >

End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee! [Entry into US Visa Waiver Program Feb 2014]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 2, 2014, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP) allows nationals of designated member participants to travel to the United States for tourism or business (B visa category) purposes for up to 90 days without obtaining a visa.

On February 28, 2014, Chile was designated as a member of the Visa Waiver Program, bringing the total to 38 countries. Beginning May 1, 2014, Chilean nationals may travel to the United States under the VWP.

Chilean travellers to the US no longer need a visa but must pay the US $14 ESTA fee; passport holders from certain countries may travel without visas, so long as their passports meet certain requirements. Link to USCBP ESTA application web page.

Chilean passport holders should note: only an electronic passport or e-passport (one with a chip that holds biographical data) will be accepted for the VWP. These have been issued in Chile since Sept. 2, 2013. Link to US Embassy in Santiago web pages with further information

US Passport holders visiting Chile are exempt (as of 26 Feb 2014) from the visa reciprocity fee of US $160 paid previously (for a multiple entry visa valid for the life of the passport in which it is entered); Link to SCL Airport site stating reciprocity fee no longer collected from US passport holders (reciprocity still applies to Albanians, Australians, Canadians and Mexicans - link).

Canadian passport holders are now exempted from recipripocity fees 11 Jan 2015)

Link to TIMATIC Web offered by Star Alliance to check visa requirements.

Earlier, speculative posts (prior to announcement and implementation) may be found in End Of Chilean Reciprocity Fee? [Archival].
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 9:15 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage, Aeroplan, Flying Blue

<redacted>

Believe it. They have stopped charging the reciprocity fee for American citizens. I arrived to SCL this afternoon on an international flight and noticed that the signs showing foreign countries subject to the reciprocity fee have been altered to erase the American flag and the amount that was being charged to American passport holders entering Chile.

Over the years I have seen many posts about "gringo taxes" and the Chilean government "allegedly" levying a reciprocal charge on holders of foreign passports whose governments oblige Chilean citizens to obtain entry visas. The speed with which the government of Chile has eliminated the reciprocity fee on American citizens is testimony to the fact that all along, the reciprocity fee was just that, nothing more and nothing less. Many uppity Americans owe Chile an apology.

Now, I wonder what the Canadian government will do? The Chilean government continues to levy the reciprocity fee on Canadian passport holders because the Canadian government continues to require Chileans to obtain an entry visa prior to traveling to Canada. Why does the Canadian government do this? Because the Canadian refugee system is dysfunctional: the Canadian government cannot summon the wherewhithal to return (bogus) Chilean refugee claimants immediately to their country, which is a fully functional democracy with a vibrant economy. So to avoid the hassle of dealing with a few kids who might arrive claiming refugee status just for an adventure, the Canadian government continues to impose entry visa requirements on Chilean citizens, and so the Chilean government for the time being will continue to charge the reciprocity fee.

Stay tuned...the Canadian government may yet come to its senses.

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 2, 2014 at 9:27 am Reason: redacted obsolete post content
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:22 pm

Programs: SPG Plat100, UA 1K, National Exec
Great news!!

I'm going to Chile in two weeks, just in time. Quite a saving for a group of 6 people.

Thanks for sharing the info
Old Feb 26, 2014, 5:52 am

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Actual agreement will be signed on Friday and then 60 days to implement the program for eager chilenos.

We need actual confirmations from persons entering on a US passport without the reciprocity fee payment stamp getting through immigrations.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:40 am

Programs: AA Plat SPG Gold
Yeah, I wouldn't risk going into Chile now without at least the minimum amount of money that would cover the fee..
Old Feb 26, 2014, 7:41 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Plat, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by williamx
Thanks for sharing the info
I second that. I'm heading to Chile in May. I hope they have everything sorted out by then! ^
Old Feb 26, 2014, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Siempre Viajando

Stay tuned...the Canadian government may yet come to its senses.
I highly doubt it for some reason...
Old Feb 28, 2014, 11:59 am

Programs: Double OWE (AA EXP, QF Plat), FI Gold
El Mercurio reports that the paperwork was signed today to allow Chile entry into the VWP and only ESTAs at $14 (CLP 7.500) will be needed with 72 hour application time. The implementation will take between 60 and 90 days, with May being the expected month for it to begin in full. Chileans who have a current 10-year visa can continue to use it until it expires.

http://impresa.elmercurio.com/Pages/...aId=2&bodyid=3

There is no mention about US citizens arriving in Chile, but from a post above it appears that they are already no longer required to pay the reciprocity fee.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA PLT 1MM, Starwood Preferred, Hilton Gold VIP
From personal exp, As of Feb 26, SCL is no longer charging the reciprocity for US citizens.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:08 am

So it sounds like the fee is gone if entering at SCL based on what two people posted here. Can anyone else confirm this? I am travelling to Chile in 3 weeks.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by climber1
So it sounds like the fee is gone if entering at SCL based on what two people posted here. Can anyone else confirm this? I am travelling to Chile in 3 weeks.
http://www.aeropuertosantiago.cl/tr-...acionales.html
Old Mar 1, 2014, 12:30 pm

Programs: On the way to lowly LATAM Gold, AA, MiClub Lider
Notice how the English version of the site is not updated yet. Very typical

http://www.aeropuertosantiago.cl/eng...acionales.html

Timatic has been updated and now no longer shows text about the reciprocity fee.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Viajero Perpetuo
Notice how the English version of the site is not updated yet. Very typical

http://www.aeropuertosantiago.cl/eng...acionales.html

Timatic has been updated and now no longer shows text about the reciprocity fee.
In English, the Albanians don't have to pay, so it probably hasn't been updated in years
Old Mar 1, 2014, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is great news for travelers from both countries. For the past year or two, I've been avoiding a return visit to Chile because my family's visas were no longer valid and I was looking at a $640 fee to enter. Now we will return as soon as we are able to.

I just wish they had made the announcement 2 weeks earlier. I've just booked my family on ff awards for Thanksgiving and Xmas. A few months ago, I booked my family on a visa-fee trip to Peru. I would definitely had made one of these trips "Chile" had I known. Oh well, I guess we'll wait another year. By then, perhaps there will be added air service, too.

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Mar 2, 2014 at 8:24 am Reason: redacted dilatory post content
Old Mar 1, 2014, 4:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Well this figures I guess as I just booked a bus ride MDZ-SCL partially to avoid this fee for tomorrow. But will make visiting IPC a bit cheaper ^
Old Mar 1, 2014, 5:40 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Felicidades to Job well done by the Chilean Foreign Ministry.... ^ Visa waiver status is well deserved.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.