Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A380 versus 777-200ER if F?

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2014, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
A380 versus 777-200ER if F?

I'm based near SFO and thinking of a possible trip for my wife and myself to Vietnam (likely SGN) next March in KE F. I'm looking at flying from/to SFO on a 777-200ER versus via LAX on the A380. From previous threads, I assume that the A380 is nicer in terms of the more pleasant cabin, better cabin pressure and air circulation, the in-flight lounge (in business class), and the F cabin being more insulated from the cabin behind it. On the other hand, as I understand it the A380 F seats are basically the same as the 777 F seats; plus the 777 has the advantage of being a smaller cabin (eight F seats versus 12 on the A380).

Do I have those comparisons basically right? I guess my basic calculation is that if the seats are the same, it's not worth routing via LAX. But I'd welcome any thoughts on this choice. Thanks!

Last edited by Thunderroad; May 16, 2014 at 1:46 pm
Old May 17, 2014, 12:08 pm

Your assumptions are about right.
Personally I don't like connections so I would take the direct flight, unless you want to try A380 for the novelty experience.
Also, there's a better chance of having empty F cabin on SFO flight.
LAX can have a pretty full F cabin sometimes.
Old May 17, 2014, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Very useful reply. Thanks!
Old May 18, 2014, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist, DL Plat, UA Silver
Originally Posted by mainbill
Your assumptions are about right.
Personally I don't like connections so I would take the direct flight, unless you want to try A380 for the novelty experience.
Also, there's a better chance of having empty F cabin on SFO flight.
LAX can have a pretty full F cabin sometimes.
+1

Personally I've never sat on F or anything on an a380 but i have on other carriers. Since I have never done so, if I had the chance based on the route, I definitely would make the go around once. It's more of an experience thing.

Than if you don't feel like the extras were worth your time, change it to the 777 on the way back.

Or spend at a day around LAX? Best way to utilize your stop overs.
Old Aug 14, 2015, 10:54 am

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
So I found this slightly older thread via search and wanted to see if there have been any updates to the cabins of either aircraft (between ICN - SFO or LAX) or if these assumptions are still valid for travel in November 2016?
Old Aug 14, 2015, 5:28 pm

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Matthew330Ci
So I found this slightly older thread via search and wanted to see if there have been any updates to the cabins of either aircraft (between ICN - SFO or LAX) or if these assumptions are still valid for travel in November 2016?
LOL

you can't even purchase tickets for november 2016 as yet, if i'm not mistaken, so you're probably better off asking in a few months once you can actually purchase flights.

who knows, things may have changed between now and then, since the start date of this "slightly older" thread is closer than your planned travel dates!
Old Aug 15, 2015, 12:02 am

Programs: Motel 6 Super Diamond
Oops, I meant Nov 2015, mistyped.
Old May 30, 2018, 3:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Well, my wife and I are finally getting around to actually making the 380 vs 777 F choice, albeit to Myanmar rather than Vietnam (which we did visit, though on other airlines). So I'm bumping this thread just in case anything has changed in terms of recommendations.

Again, we'd originate in SFO, so the question is whether it's worth routing via LAX just to fly the 380 versus the 777 out of SFO. Thanks.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
we'd originate in SFO, so the question is whether it's worth routing via LAX just to fly the 380 versus the 777 out of SFO. Thanks.
Why would you possibly want to do that??? With 77W from SFO, good chance you'll get the Kosmo Suite 2.0.
Old Jun 2, 2018, 11:49 pm

I wasn't impressed with the 777. I would choose the A380 cause at least you are guaranteed a bigger bathroom.
(but then I wasn't impressed with KE first anyway, so you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt)
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:56 am

Programs: OZ Platinum LifeTime; DL PM; QF Gold; VA Gold; HH Diamond; IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by s0ssos
I wasn't impressed with the 777. I would choose the A380 cause at least you are guaranteed a bigger bathroom.
(but then I wasn't impressed with KE first anyway, so you may want to take what I say with a grain of salt)
no grain of salt needed. F on KE is thoroughly underwhelming.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 10:52 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by sol95
no grain of salt needed. F on KE is thoroughly underwhelming.
The hard product is excellent (better than OZ's IMO) but the "experience" is minimal.
Old Jun 3, 2018, 8:22 pm

Programs: Skypass, IHG
On KE 777-300ER with Prestige Suite (2-2-2), there is a bigger bathroom up front on the left hand side. It is still smaller than the A380 one though. Those are wheelchair accessible bathrooms.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.