Wiki Posts
Search

Storm at AMS - 23 February 2017

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 4:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: KL Gold, SQ KF Gold, CX Green
Storm at AMS - 23 February 2017

A rather severe storm is expected in the Western Netherlands on 23 Feb Thursday, mostly in the afternoon and evening.

KLM rebooking options are here:
https://www.klm.com/travel/nl_nl/prepare_for_travel/up_to_date/flight_update/index.htm
Old Feb 22, 2017, 5:24 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Weather com expects winds of over 30 mph between 9 am (today) and 2 am tomorrow with peaks in the late afternoon.

Good luck everyone (and don't forget to put on your brown pants )
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:39 pm

Programs: ❶❷ ใจ ± ♪♪♪ 7¾³ © ™
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Weather com expects winds of over 30 mph between 9 am (today) and 2 am tomorrow with peaks in the late afternoon.

Good luck everyone (and don't forget to put on your brown pants )
30mph doesn't sound like a lot, I guess it depends how much over. I hope it doesn't cause too many problems for those who are travelling today.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:59 pm

Originally Posted by Andy49
30mph doesn't sound like a lot, I guess it depends how much over. I hope it doesn't cause too many problems for those who are travelling today.
Up to 130km/h.... http://knmi.nl/nederland-nu/weer/waa.../noord-holland
Old Feb 23, 2017, 12:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by Sjoerd
A rather severe storm is expected in the Western Netherlands on 23 Feb Thursday, mostly in the afternoon and evening.
Forget Western Netherlands - Storm Doris is affecting most of Northern Europe!

Last edited by irishguy28; Feb 23, 2017 at 1:41 am
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Flighstats delay index for AMS is already at the maximum 5.0.

Johan
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
KLM started yesterday to proactively cancel 182 flights. Has there been court rulings about EU Compensation in such cases?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:29 am

Originally Posted by Andy49
30mph doesn't sound like a lot
Originally Posted by WorldLux
AFAIK the wind increases to over 50 mph (and that doesn't include sudden gusts).

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
KLM started yesterday to proactively cancel 182 flights. Has there been court rulings about EU Compensation in such cases?
I doubt it. Weather is (understandably) still one of those watertight cases for airlines to refuse compensation. The proactive canceling might be due to limitation by ATC, that want less landings/hour as more airplanes will probably perform go-around and in the interest of customers (if you don't head to AMS, you may as well fly via CDG, FRA, etc...).
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:50 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
It is debatable whether this kind of proactive cancellations, a day in advance, can directly be attributed to weather and not operational convenience.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 3:52 am

Good morning,

I have been one of the affected passengers - I was supposed to fly to Shanghai today. I was about to check-in for the flight last night, and it said the ticket didn't exist.

A few minutes after, I received a new email from KLM with a new flight, with Lufthansa, for two days later (leaving on Saturday instead of on Thursday). They also offered to refund the ticket if I do not agree.

Can I make a claim considering they have not relocated me on a different flight on the same day, and they force me to fly two days after the original scheduled flight? I understand weather is something they cannot control, but they should be able to relocate me to another Lufthansa, Swiss or Air France flight today, not in two days.

Thanks!

Edit: Nobody contacted me to say why the flight had been cancelled or why they had issued a new ticket. I had to find out on my own when I saw they issued a new ticket with Lufthansa for Saturday. Is this normal?
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:16 am

Given the amount of cancelled flights with the storm affecting not only AMS, it is not impossible that they had no option to put you on ANY LH/LX/AF flights today...
Old Feb 23, 2017, 4:44 am

Amongst the lucky ones here, landed from Detroit nearly an hour ahead of schedule, departed on the 1363 to Warsaw with roughly half-an-hour delay but landed perfectly on time (which made my day as I've got a DIY connection to Gdańsk in less than an hour). One of my colleagues (travelling with myself from the US) had her flight to Frankfurt cancelled but got promptly re-routed on the 989's Lufthansa service at 11:05AM (which hasn't departed, yet).

G
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:32 am

It is debatable whether this kind of proactive cancellations, a day in advance, can directly be attributed to weather and not operational convenience.
Have fun proving it. It's quite normal that airlines and ATC plan ahead of storms, especially given that storm warnings are already a couple of days old.

It's obvious, that AMS ATC can use as many slots during storms. Otherwise planes will run out of fuel and either land at an alternate (which is somewhat complicated given that all of western Europe currently experiences strong winds and gusts) or drop on the lawn next to the Polderbaan.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
But, given that it gives clarity to those who proactively can cancel/change/refund their travel in advance of the chaos that would result when delays do impact the full schedule, it is in the spirit of the EU regulation - preventing passengers from being needlessly/avoidably delayed or stranded while attempting to travel.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 6:40 am

Programs: QF LTS, Marriott LTP, ALL GOLD
Id guess if the airport or ATC have asked them to reduce their movements then it will be a cancellation down to airport/atc restrictions even though its a day in advance.

Last edited by ANstar; Feb 23, 2017 at 6:46 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.