Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First new security filter operational at AMS

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2014, 5:44 am
Original Poster

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Interesting. That is in contrast to what Privium are saying via Twitter, where they're saying the "new" situation (shared line) is the permanent situation.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:05 am

Programs: FB Platinum PA; IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by mfkne
Interesting. That is in contrast to what Privium are saying via Twitter, where they're saying the "new" situation (shared line) is the permanent situation.
It still is a shared line. I am a Flying Blue Gold member and was directed to the Privium line.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 5:48 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Carel1
It still is a shared line. I am a Flying Blue Gold member and was directed to the Privium line.
I think my writings weren't clear enough. The line is shared between Privium and Sky Priority. But it is not for all other passengers. That is an improvement compared to what it was when they opened the new security check: Everyone was mixed at the security lines.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 7:51 am
Original Poster

Ah, that makes more sense now, so it's a little better but by no means good old Privium.
Old Sep 11, 2014, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I went through yesterday afternoon, nothing has changed. An agent was busy feeding a steady stream of regular pax into the three far left checkpoints, which were just as busy as the others. I picked one with an unoccupied tray loading station and would have been through fairly quickly had they not decided it was time for a shift change.

Johan
Old Sep 15, 2014, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I flew out of AMS on Friday, and used the new Schengen security zone for the first time. I used the SkyPriority access line (there was a sign for Privium too) and this allowed me to bypass the regular line - but the "priority" access doesn't give you direct access to the security lines at all, but only to a little "holding pen", with a security guy having his back turned and blocking the way, and was far too busy directing passengers from the regular line to all available security lines to even turn around and see the growing line of "priority" passengers building up behind him.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:24 am

Programs: FB Plat, Privium
News from Privium today:

http://www.schiphol.nl/Reizigers/Nie...urityLanes.htm

Main reason for the old dedicated lane to disappear was that Schiphol wants to be flexible in using security capacity. So basically we lose, Schiphol wins.

According to them, for us the advantage of the new system is that there is more capacity on peaktimes for Priority and Privium users. That's a way to sell it, but in the many years I used the dedicated lane, I had never more than just a very few users in front of me.

Then they mention that the new process, where staff is directing you to the right lane, is not yet functioning to full satisfaction. They will do everything to improve this directing process. Looking at the experience I have with Schiphol ground personnel handling priority boarding, I wonder if this will happen.

Then apparently on the right hand side of the filter there is another Privium entry which they claim is still relatively quiet.

To conclude, no major change expected, I will cancel my membership.
Old Sep 15, 2014, 8:39 am

Originally Posted by johan rebel
The new setup actually also makes the lounge less useful. Previously, I could cut it real fine and leave the lounge at the last minute. Knowing that I would clear security in one minute, I could plan to arrive at the gate just before boarding closed (or just as it started, for very full flights). If I now need to allow an extra 15 minutes just in case, I might as well go straight to CrownLounge instead and spend those 15 minutes there.

Johan
This was indeed the very key selling point of Privium. Knowing in advance how much time it will cost you to pass through the security filter. It added efficiency to my working life, which is now gone.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 1:01 am

Finally went through the new security filter (last couple of months, I've used the 'Privium' bridge directly from P2 for all my flights) this weekend.

I really liked the visual appearance of the area. The bin system also adds to the efficiency of the process. However, all in vain to due to the body scanners...

I opted out, they opened the rope, I was allowed to go through (no need to remove shoes), received a very minor pat down and was on my way. Wife opted out too, by then a supervisor realized his staff was not following SOP and my wife was asked to remove her shoes and got a full pat down.

My mother also opted out, by then everybody was frustrated and they took it out on my mum ("Why don't you just go through the scanner like all the others", "you are not allowed to refuse", etc). Wife stepped in and politely requested the supervisor to respect SOP, who instructed his team to keep their personal opinions to themselves.

All in all a very bad experience, opt out should not result in a discussion. Apparently too few people opt out to embed the SOP into the daily routine.
Old Sep 30, 2014, 11:26 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Well. I actually cancelled my Privium membership today. It simply doesn't have added value for me anymore. I find my self rarely using the lounge (simply not enough time) and the new security filter works equally fine with Sky Priority. From AMS I travel non-Schengen only twice a year. So no gain at passport control either.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 12:26 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
And for passport control, you now also have self service gates.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
They are there all right, but are they ever open? Every time I walk to the Schengen Crown Lounge, I look down at the immigrations checkpoint scrum. Invariably, all the pax are herded to the manned counters, with the automatic ones taking up lots of space for no good reason.

Johan
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:10 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by KLflyerRalph
There are self-service gates for immigration? I only remember seeing them for emigration.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:42 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
I thought so, but not at every checkpoint.
Old Oct 1, 2014, 2:07 pm

Originally Posted by Zembla
Well. I actually cancelled my Privium membership today. It simply doesn't have added value for me anymore. I find my self rarely using the lounge (simply not enough time) and the new security filter works equally fine with Sky Priority. From AMS I travel non-Schengen only twice a year. So no gain at passport control either.
I did the same yesterday. No added value anymore since the new security filter is installed. If things improve I probably will again become member.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.