Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:14 am

Programs: LH / KL / CZ
Let me adding some of my fresh exp:

KL1141 DEC 3 AMS-OSL:
I am FB gold. I was staying up late and was able to check in 30 hours before take off (0:55). When I was checking in, only 1/5 of the EC seats are occupied. It asked for 10 EUR to be seated in the EC, and 119 EUR (something like that) to be seated in the business. So I choose normal Y.

When I at schiphol this morning, using the machine to print my boarding card, I realized that all the EC places are taken, and the extra charge to be seated in business changed to 79 EUR.

As a frequent flyer (not plat, but still...) I normally got the first row of Y (4A, 5A etc) when I checked in early, but now it is not the case any more. It seems that checking in late will get you a better seat in EC

Actually I did not feel a difference between the EC seats (3A, 4A for example) and the normal Y seats, the legroom is kind of the same, I cannot tell there's a difference.

Cheers,
gzgxd
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:19 am

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Cupart
The whole concept is far fetched in my opinion, but might have said something different had I been plat... Don't know...
+1 (And Plat)

Not great if you see your unocupied adjacent seat being taken by non-eligible. This whole thing is more than a nuisance imho. They should give up on this if they can't manage it properly to avoid people being annoyed over such events all the time.

Originally Posted by gzgxd
Actually I did not feel a difference between the EC seats (3A, 4A for example) and the normal Y seats, the legroom is kind of the same, I cannot tell there's a difference.
That's because you've probably always been in the section that has now become EC. The legspace was always larger in that section (and free of extra charge until recently) The space difference feels considerable, especailly if you're tall.
Old Dec 3, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold
We're very much on the same page here rwSEA... Only thing is that KLM would not want to give anything away for free if they initially tried to charge for it in the first place, then all Gold and then silvers would not ever want to pay for the seats and wait for them to become free. Next question is then, if 10 Golds are on the flight and only 4 seats are available, who should they go to? The passenger with highest "seniority" (i.e. had Gold for longest), ticket price or even those gathered most revenue for the company?

One thing that's for sure, and that is that no elites (or even pax without even having a FB account) should ever get these seats for free because they check in at the very last minute. It is really taking the p*ss on loyalty...

The whole concept is far fetched in my opinion, but might have said something different had I been plat... Don't know...

---------------------

I would say that EC should be free for golds at check-in at a minimum, or even better, at the time of booking. If at the time of check-in, then it should just go in the order of check-in (i.e. you check-in earlier, you get your choice of free seats.... you check-in later, they might be gone).

This is the same approach taken by United and Delta with their domestic flights. At Delta, btw, it's free at the time of booking for Gold members, and at check-in for Silvers. United is the same. Not sure why KLM is the only one treating the elites so poorly.
Old Dec 6, 2012, 11:49 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
Originally Posted by Cupart
Side note: I have noticed how the questionnaires are being handed out quite a bit these days, and only to pax in EC and to me from AMS - GVA because I was upgraded?
I noticed too: I had 2 questionnaires handled to me in a week (each time it was on AMS-SVG), and I was the only one in the plane being given a questionnaire. The second time I asked the FA if that was because I had a FB status. He did not know, just told me that they were being handled a list of names with the questionnaire pack.

Originally Posted by Zembla
+1 (And Plat)
That's because you've probably always been in the section that has now become EC. The legspace was always larger in that section (and free of extra charge until recently) The space difference feels considerable, especailly if you're tall.
It was. It is a year I am FB Silver and all my flights since then in Europe I was always seating between row 4 and 6. I am 1m90, so I could feel the difference in leg-room.

I will take a AMS-SVG fairly soon in EC, will post my experience. Strangely enough I had it for free. The inbound flight, when I book the ticket, was 19 euros for a seat in EC so I passed, but for the outbound it was for free.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
How is the row behind the last EC seats? Extra tight?
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:30 pm
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Which aircraft? Because for the 737-700 I have seated myself in row 8, which is free, however seatguru and the bunch indicate it should still be a Business Class seat.

More experiences are welcome though... I guess in any case I will report back on this on monday, my next flight out to AMS.
Old Dec 7, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
Confirmed: KLM introduces Economy Comfort short-haul

Yeah a B737-700. Is the legroom worse due to the additional recline or is it compensated?
Old Dec 8, 2012, 2:36 am

Programs: FB plat for life
don't know if it was a 700 or 800 but for the first time in many years in row 14 - impossible with my 1.87 m (but relatively long legs) to sit decently. Kids' carryon did not fit under the seat which normally - even E190 - is no problem

Happy to have been back in row 5 yesterday - immense difference !
Old Dec 10, 2012, 1:20 am

Programs: Skywards Gold, FB Silver, BA Silver, AMB PC Plat Amb, CX Gold, Hertz 5*,HH Gold,AClub Plat
Well, at least it's correct that 3 days before the flight, they will know where the curtain is on Fokker flights and the seats right after that are open for selection......
Old Dec 10, 2012, 6:10 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
I'm in the lounge now, waiting for my next KL flight. Talked myself into EC at the check in desk using my Gold card. I will try to still check out the leg space for row 8 on the B737 though: KLM considers this to not be EC, however all seat maps show this as a business class seat with 34" pitch.
Old Dec 10, 2012, 4:10 pm

Programs: FB Plat for life, FB PC, M&M FT, Hertz President (+ many low tier cards)
Originally Posted by Xandrios
I'm in the lounge now, waiting for my next KL flight. Talked myself into EC at the check in desk using my Gold card. I will try to still check out the leg space for row 8 on the B737 though: KLM considers this to not be EC, however all seat maps show this as a business class seat with 34" pitch.
Can't believe how inconsistently this is implemented. However, no problems with a free EC seat for gold if available compared to musical chairs for everyone!
Old Dec 10, 2012, 5:23 pm

Programs: Klm Platinum For Life ,Hhonors gold,Le Club Accor Platinum
Am platinum for life member and think EC should rightly be for this level of loyalty!!

I pre book my seats 11 months in advance at no cost as well as getting my 2x23 kg baggage allowance. Stop ...complaining about klm really not professional .You want more than pay for it or god forbid you earn it!! 20 years of flying klmuk and then klm gets you this loyalty status.

Will never fly Air France. The most disgusting old fashioned planes and arrogant flight attendants in every class.

Last edited by Paddy45; Dec 10, 2012 at 5:29 pm
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It is totally beyond belief that as a LTPE I've been relegated to row 14 on an F70, and am still barred from selecting any seat further forward than row 11.

Have they gone completely out of their minds?

I do not want an emergency exit row seat. I do not want an EC seat. All I want is to sit as far forward as possible to maximize my chances of catching my train home. Why may I not select seats that are available to every Tom, Dick and Harry who have never heard of Flying Blue, let alone have elite status?

Johan
Old Dec 11, 2012, 2:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
I rang some time ago to have my seat assignment changed to a regular economy seat, having preselected a "Comfort" seat, so that I could sit with a colleague on the same flight.

The KLM agent was very helpful, and changed the seating request as I asked.

2 days later, when I happened to be checking my bookings, I had been reverted back to my originally-selected EC seat.

I guess the lesson here is - I should pay to upgrade my colleague ;-)
Old Dec 11, 2012, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by COFF-Platinum
Once you've "paid" as a platinum your zero euros for/by selecting a special seat, and clicking confirm, you cannot downgrade. The first time in you can select any seat.
I can't!

When booked on a F70, first time I can either:

- select emergency row 11, or nothing else at all.

- selecty emergency row 11, or any seats that still happen to be available farther aft.

Johan

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.