Wiki Posts
Search

UN diplomat beckons KLM for discrimination duel

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

UN diplomat beckons KLM for discrimination duel

"A top UN official, who missed a high profile meeting in Brazil after he was stopped from boarding a plane, has looped Royal Dutch Airline KLM in a legal duel that is expected to define the boundaries of discrimination at airports"

Source

Johan
Old May 8, 2012, 12:11 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Sounds like a case of DYKWIA. Playing the race/religion card seems like a desperate attempt to make a mountain out of a molehill.

Citizens of the EU and US queue separately at KLM’s departure gates.
I'm sure he doesn't mind that kind of segregation for first/business class vs economy passengers.
Old May 8, 2012, 12:22 am
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM), France and TravelBuzz!

Location: Paris, France, AF F+ Rouge pour toujours, Flying Blue whatever, LH FTL, HHonors Gold, formerly proud SCC Executive, now IC Ambassador, BA down to nobody, Grand Voyageur Le Club
Originally Posted by wikipedia
A United Nations Laissez-Passer (UNLP or LP) is a travel document issued by the United Nations under the provisions of Article VII of the 1946 Convention on the Privileges and Immunities of the United Nations[1] in its offices in New York and Geneva, as well as by the International Labor Organization (ILO).

The UNLP is a valid travel document, which can be used like a national passport (in connection with travel on official missions only). As with national passports, some countries/regions accept it for entry without the need for a visa (e.g., Kenya, United Kingdom, Schengen Area, Lebanon, etc.), while most require a visa before it can be accepted for entry to the country. This is regardless of the nationality of the UNLP holder.

Most officials hold a blue UNLP, which is similar in legal status to a service passport (however, diplomatic status may be conferred on the holder if the visa issued in the UNLP is a diplomatic visa).

A red UNLP is issued to particularly high officials, and depending on their rank, this may confer diplomatic privileges and the red UNLP may therefore be similar to a diplomatic passport.
Old May 9, 2012, 4:22 am

Programs: KL Platinum
Originally Posted by mfkne
Sounds like a case of DYKWIA.
I suspect most people would be irritated if they were barred from travelling by airline staff, just because the staff member at question did not recognize the travel document.

This is not unique to JKIA btw, I have heard some real rubbish being spouted by KL / subcontracted staff at LHR and AMS when they haven't recognized a travel document. The lesson is proper training.

Last edited by JOUY31; May 9, 2012 at 4:47 am Reason: ending quote clause corrected for clarity
Old May 10, 2012, 11:50 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver, IHG Gold, RH VIP
Sounds like a case of DYKWIA. Playing the race/religion card seems like a desperate attempt to make a mountain out of a molehill.

I'm sure he doesn't mind that kind of segregation for first/business class vs economy passengers.
I fully agree with you
Old May 10, 2012, 11:54 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold, ALL Silver, IHG Gold, RH VIP
Originally Posted by Victor88
I suspect most people would be irritated if they were barred from travelling by airline staff, just because the staff member at question did not recognize the travel document.
Or could it be that the airline is forking out way too much money for people who try and enter a visa required country without a valid or false visa/document? When it comes to checking travel docs, I actually think that check-in and boarding staff are very vigilant as it can easily be tracked down to who didn't check properly which can lead in losing your job.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:23 am

Programs: FB-LTPE
We only know one side of the story, and which has at least one incorrect statement to make the case of discrimination (a special line for EU and US pax - I never seen this happen at NBO or somewhere else).

I have to say that I have seen many that believe their certain status in this world allows them to be rude and misbehave inproperly. I don't want to say this is the case, but it again we don't know any of the facts, only a newspaper article (and we have seen many of those pass by too - too eager to report stories without presenting all the facts).
Old May 11, 2012, 12:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What an absolute load of garbage. His Austrian colleague needed no visa, and there are no such EU and US lines at any departure gates.
Old May 11, 2012, 10:14 am

He was traveling with a valid visa, national passport, and a diplomatic passport. They were idiots not to let him travel.
Old May 11, 2012, 11:25 am

Programs: FB Silver, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by erik123
He was traveling with a valid visa, national passport, and a diplomatic passport. They were idiots not to let him travel.
People make mistakes, for any reason. It is absurd of the diplomat to blow this up unnecessarily and to play the race card. No doubt should KLM apologize and show give some sort of compensation, but what that guy wants is frankly over the top.
Old May 11, 2012, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually ridiculous that he is pulling the RACE and RELIGION cards!?
Old May 12, 2012, 7:20 am

People make mistakes, for any reason. It is absurd of the diplomat to blow this up unnecessarily and to play the race card. No doubt should KLM apologize and show give some sort of compensation, but what that guy wants is frankly over the top.
Agree - Doubt it was race - think it was nationality. If he would have had a EU passport they wouldn't have refused boarding.
Old May 12, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: FB Silver, BA Silver, BD Gold rememberer, IHG Diamond Royal Ambassador, Hilton and Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by erik123
Agree - Doubt it was race - think it was nationality. If he would have had a EU passport they wouldn't have refused boarding.
How could they determine he wasn't a EU national before asking him for his passport? He was traveling on a UN LP, which is like a passport but doesn't mention nationality of the traveling person (it mentions "United Nations" and the issuing agency). So, while he was holding a regular travel document, as his aide was, he was asked to justify his nationality. Why? If, as you say, he would have boarded if he was a EU or US national, the agent assumed he wasn't a US/EU national on basis of.. his skin colour? I can totally see why he felt discriminated on ethnic grounds when asked to produce another travel document (not useful for traveling since he wouldn't have a Brazilian visa on it) on top of his own, before his nationality was known.
Old May 12, 2012, 11:04 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Whether the LP is Red or Blue, if it contains a visa to enter the destination country, or, if the destination country accepts a UNLP as a valid travel document for official missions, the Airline staff should consider it as a valid and should not interfere with the official's travel. If there were no grounds to not let the Official travel (Usually, a suspicion of a fake travel document is not a valid reason until the suspicion is proven to be true), there is a violation of the Convention on Privileges and Immunities of Specialized Agencies, Article 8, Section 27.
Old May 13, 2012, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by B7e7US
Whether the LP is Red or Blue, if it contains a visa to enter the destination country, or, if the destination country accepts a UNLP as a valid travel document for official missions, the Airline staff should consider it as a valid and should not interfere with the official's travel. If there were no grounds to not let the Official travel (Usually, a suspicion of a fake travel document is not a valid reason until the suspicion is proven to be true), there is a violation of the Convention on Privileges and Immunities of Specialized Agencies, Article 8, Section 27.
AFAIK, as most international law instruments, the Convention binds states but not private parties, like a (private) airline. KL cannot, therefore, be in breach of the Convention. They might conceivably be in breach of any Kenyan legislation that might give effect to the Convention, if any. And Kenya itself might be in breach of the Convention for allowing that state of affairs to arise on its territory.

However, KL may well be in breach of the contract for transportation for denying boarding to an individual notwithstanding the fact that the individual had appropriate travel documents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.