Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

minimum connection time in BOS: Aer Lingus to Jet Blue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Skymiles

I'm considering booking a Jet Blue flight out of Boston leaving 2 hours after my Aer Lingus flight is scheduled to arrive in Boston. I am Global Entry. Is that enough time? Not being familiar with the logistics of Logan, I have no idea.

If someone were to ask me about ATL, I would say yes, that's about the minimum transit time from an international to a domestic flight if you have Global Entry.
Old Aug 27, 2017, 6:46 pm

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue
This should not be a problem as long as your flight is on-time. All Aer Lingus flights are pre-cleared in Ireland so you will deplane in Terminal C and not have to re-clear security. The issue you may have is if you are checking bags and cannot get them checked through.

You could also buy a ticket with both segments on it through Aer Lingus or JetBlue. In this case if there were any issues, you would be taken care of since any mis-connect is a problem for JetBlue and not you.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:02 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond/IHG Platinum/DL Plutononium
Where are you going, is it the last flight of the day... B6 has a lot of frequencies out of BOS, so you should be pretty well protected in IRROPS, but if you where flying (say) DUB-BOS-SYR I would be concerned.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 6:54 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
MCT will only matter if you are on one ticket and EI won't sell you a ticket at below MCT. If EI is late into BOS and that causes a misconnect, it willl be for EI to rebook you and as you will be on a flight departing the EU, take care of your hotel & food as well as pay delay compensation if all of that kicks in.

If you are on two tickets, MCT is irrelevant and your B6 ticket will be cancelled if you no show. At that point, you will be at B6's mercy as to whether you are rebooked or must purchase a new ticket.

For this reason, I generally allow 2-3 times the transfer time across tickets than for connections. You are stuck with the risk of inbound delays and the like and EI's obligation ends at the termination point of its ticket, e.g. BOS. You would only be due compensation at 3 hours or 4 hours (EUR 300 vs EUR 600).
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:02 am

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Originally Posted by BOSstorageguy
This should not be a problem as long as your flight is on-time. All Aer Lingus flights are pre-cleared in Ireland so you will deplane in Terminal C and not have to re-clear security. The issue you may have is if you are checking bags and cannot get them checked through.

You could also buy a ticket with both segments on it through Aer Lingus or JetBlue. In this case if there were any issues, you would be taken care of since any mis-connect is a problem for JetBlue and not you.

I have heard this many times and have not seen anyone say otherwise.

I was at Logan yesterday and saw on one of the signs you see entering the property that "All International Flights Arrive at Terminal E".

I have no doubt that signs at Logan can be wrong, but can anyone who has done this flight re-confirm for me that the Aer Lingus flight will drop passengers at C?

Thanks!
Old Aug 28, 2017, 7:30 am

Programs: B6, Amtrak, DL, AA, Marriott, Hilton
I'm so used to seeing gate info on flight status searches when flying B6 that I didn't realize they're apparently non-existent for EI.

However, there is this from EI's own website last year:

https://www.aerlingus.com/travel-inf...rminal-change/

Our daily service to Boston, since May 2nd 2016, is arriving into and departing from, the recently upgraded Terminal C at Boston Logan Airport.
I'm assuming it's entirely possible Massport hasn't updated their signage terminology since before per-clearance existed! Or they just felt it was too complicated to add "except for pre-cleared international flights which may arrive at any terminal in the airport depending on carrier."
zeer0 likes this.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 9:45 am

Programs: JetBlue TrueBlue
I have not been on an Aer Lingus flight, but I can tell you that coming back from the Bahamas on JetBlue I was pre-cleared at NAS and landed at Terminal C in BOS.
Old Aug 28, 2017, 2:36 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Thanks for the first hand info BOS! And I bet octr is right. Too complicated or "just don't care"
Old Aug 29, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the helpful replies, everyone.

Originally Posted by BOSstorageguy
The Aer Lingus phone rep seemed to have difficulty doing this. At first, he couldn't find the flight. When he finally found it, he quoted me a price that was about $200 higher than if I were to book the Jet Blue segment separately myself. So that's what I ended up doing.

Someone asked if the Jet Blue (BOS-ATL) is the last flight of the day, and indeed it is. I chickened out and decided my wife and I will just overnight in Boston. This is vacation travel--no need to add stress. But I'm glad I asked the question. Thanks, everyone.
Old Aug 29, 2017, 10:54 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Lorenzoid
Someone asked if the Jet Blue (BOS-ATL) is the last flight of the day, and indeed it is. I chickened out and decided my wife and I will just overnight in Boston. This is vacation travel--no need to add stress. But I'm glad I asked the question. Thanks, everyone.
You're going to arrive in BOS as a domestic passenger, clearing immigration in Ireland. Even if you have to get from E to C that's a short walk after claiming bags. Unless the inbound flight is significantly delayed you'll have no trouble making the connection. The required minimum the airlines are willing to accept is 1 hour.

Enjoy dinner out in Boston if that's your thing. But I'd bet heavily that you make the flight if you choose to book it.
zeer0 likes this.
Old Sep 1, 2017, 10:24 am

Programs: EK Gold, A3 *G, AB Gold, Jetblue Mosaic
What sbm12 said. Unless you don't have bags interlined in which case you would have to claim and recheck, you are basically making a domestic connection at terminal C i.e. you can walk off one plane and onto the next.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 9:06 pm

You will go through American customs in the Dublin or Shannon airport. It's lovely. So much faster than JFK. When I did this our luggage was checked through to our final destination (MSY). I can't remember what I did with my duty free "Writer's Tears" but I sure kept it!

Canadian airports also have US customs outposts and Arlanda has requested one as well. The more the merrier!

The only downside is that you will have less time in the Irish airport than you may have imagined. They keep everyone moving, so there is less time for sweater shopping or whatever.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

OP here, back with a similar question, only this time my itinerary has me arriving from DUB at EWR. Let me back up to give you the complete picture: My complete itinerary that I booked through Jet Blue, utilizing their partner Aer Lingus, is BRU-DUB-EWR-BOS-ATL. This wasn't easy, as it couldn't be done online with either Jet Blue or Aer Lingus and required a lengthy phone call with the Jet Blue agent and a supervisor for them to figure out how to do it. A BRU-DUB-BOS-ATL itinerary would have been simpler, but the Jet Blue agent and supervisor insisted their system could not book that because the connection in DUB from the BRU flight was more than 5 hrs and therefore their system did not recognize it as a "connection." So I relented and booked BRU-DUB-EWR-BOS-ATL. That was a couple of months ago. Yesterday, Jet Blue contacted me to tell me they had moved the departure from EWR up, such that the connection is now 1 hr 45 mins, which no longer meets Minimum Connection Time. Jet Blue said I can either risk the connection or give me a refund--my choice. What would you recommend? Even with pre-clearance in DUB, is 1 hr 45 mins usually enough time?

As you can appreciate, the whole point of booking this as a single itinerary through Jet Blue rather than as two separate tickets, one on Aer Lingus and another on Jet Blue as I did on the previous trip, was because that way my bags would be checked through (I assume) and Jet Blue would otherwise effectively guarantee the connection. They said they couldn't book me BRU-DUB-BOS-ATL because the connection in DUB from the BRU was too LONG to count as a "connection," and now they tell me they can't guarantee the connection in EWR from the DUB flight because it is too SHORT!

What are my options? What would you recommend?
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:57 am

Programs: Free agent
I would personally refund and rebook, the MCT is there for a reason. That's a heck of itinerary though.

What's preventing you from going BRU->DUB->JFK(Overnight)->ATL?

There's 2 direct flights a day. If you're going to overnight anyway (per your much earlier post) than cut off a leg of the journey. IIRC they are a morning (8:45) and a mid-afternoon flight (3PM?)
Old Apr 19, 2018, 6:27 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, JetBlue Mosaic, AA Platinum, National Executive Elite
If it were me, I'd look at if/when the next flight out of EWR to BOS & ATL are. Having said that, I'd stick with your itinerary. Remember. US customs is in DUBLIN--not Newark (so make sure you have a long layover in Dublin). 1hour45mins to switch in EWR sounds very doable. Hopefully you wouldn't have to change terminals or exit/reenter security in EWR though?
zeer0 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.