Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

First impressions are everything and Jetblue failed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First impressions are everything and Jetblue failed

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2016, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Thumbs down First impressions are everything and Jetblue failed

My trip this weekend has been nothing but constant flight delays.

As I left Boston, the flight was delayed because Jetblue had maintenance issues. The pilot was literally blaming the government because JetBlue was inconvenienced by fixing the plane.

Of course the delay meant that I would miss the connection at JFK to Houston. That was their last flight to Houston. They offered two solutions, either stay at a ...... hotel room at the airport and fly out tomorrow at 7am, fly to NOLA and take a 6 hour shuttle to Houston or fly to Austin at 9pm and then take a shuttle to Houston at midnight.

The best they could offer was rebooking our flight, jetblue miles and a $20 food voucher haha. I laughed when the attendant made it seem like the $20 voucher was a huge favor.

Weather was not an issue. This has been a really bad experience and now i'll get back to Houston at 4am tomorrow. Maybe catch 2 hours of sleep before I go into work. Should have gone with Southwest.
Old May 22, 2016, 4:33 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
What does WN offer in those situations?
Old May 22, 2016, 5:26 pm

Sounds like you need a safe space, because your life is overflowing with microagressions.

Toughen up, buttercup. It's a tough world out there.

When you book the last connecting flight, this is the risk you take. You caught Jetblue on a bad day.
Old May 22, 2016, 11:34 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Please, tell me more about another airline, and how/what they would do differently in cases like these.

They offered a hotel and a rebooking. All airlines (are legally obligated to) do this when there's an issue where it's the airline's fault. All airlines experience mechanical issues sooner or later.
Old May 23, 2016, 7:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Often1
Or DL or AA or UA or any other airline. Same as everywhere else, unfortunately.
Old May 24, 2016, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by sbm12
Or DL or AA or UA or any other airline. Same as everywhere else, unfortunately.
To be fair (and I'm sure you're already aware of this), DL, AA or UA would likely have been able to provide other routing options.

I missed a connection in JFK on B6 traveling from PWM to RDU where both the PWM->JFK and JFK->RDU flights were technically on-time*, and it resulted in me spending 8 hours in the Airside Lounge awaiting the next JFK->RDU flight. There simply weren't any other options that would have gotten me to RDU in a timely fashion.

I'm reasonably certain that wouldn't have been the case with the other 3 airlines.

* I believe that the source of the travel disruption is that the GA closed the JFK->RDU flight early.
Old May 24, 2016, 7:45 am

In the future, use a credit card with decent travel interruption benefits, you can at least get a better room and have a nice dinner or something. Delays happen.

But to be fair to OP, a legacy might have other routing options to get you there. Or the ability to put you on another carrier. It helps if you research your options and tell them what you want them to do. It's not clear to me whether OP got stuck at BOS or JFK, but either way, it's not some outstation.
Old May 24, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Legacies can't do any more than what JetBlue did if the OP booked on their last flight of the day.
Old May 24, 2016, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by diburning
Legacies can't do any more than what JetBlue did if the OP booked on their last flight of the day.
With B6's limited options to many destinations, their "last flight of the day" may very well be much earlier than other carriers'.

Don't get me wrong; I love JetBlue. But I also (now) understand its limitations and will book elsewhere when I need a very high probability of arriving as planned.
Old May 25, 2016, 12:30 pm

Programs: JetBlue Mosaic, WN A List Preferred, Hyatt Globalest, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Spire
Grass is Often Not Greener Even as AA Exec Plat But President of Fidelity?

Back in "the day," the legacy airlines really did offer an advantage, they could pretty much endorse your ticket over to any other flying carrier by:
1. In the good old ays of paper tickets the agent would just scribble the new airline and flight# on your paper ticket coupon;'
2. Sometimes they would write a handwritten FIM flight interruption manifest to put you on another carrier;
3. More recently airlines could push control of electronic ticket coupons to other carriers that they wanted to use to reaccommodate on.

However, in the last 2 years, airlines have broken up in terms of interline ticketing agreements which facilitate these reaccommodations:
1. The most famous was the break up of DL and AA; initiated by DL. Now AA cannot protect its passengers on DL and vice versa; and
2. While it didn't get as much press, my understanding is that AA and B6 broke off a similar agreement, so each carrier can no longer protect on the other.

This past winter I was stuck in BOS flying to DCA, and even as an AA Exec Platinum AA Admirals Club member, they could not put me on a B6 flight using my AA ticket. They could have still put me on UA but not B6.

Also keep in mind I think airlines have special procedures say if there was anb aviation accident, then I think all rules are thrown out, and they have a way of putting an affected pax or family member on any airline no matter what! I don't know at that point if they just write a FIM or the Care Team uses a corporate credit card to buy whatever ticket is needed; or if the airlines have some sort of agreement they fall back on in the case of a dire emergency like a plane crash or say if Boston fell in to the drink!

I just bring this up because lets say even though AA and B6 don't typically now endorse tickets to each other, I wonder if a shift manager, supervisor, station manager, etc. has a special way they can use in limited circumstances to reaccommodate passengers on an airline even though the carriers ttypically don't do that.

You or I would likely not be so lucky as to find someone with both the authority and the know how of how to do this, but I wonder, say if an AA Concierge Key (like UA Global Services) member was stuck, if those agents who again handle AA's top revenue contributors have a way to force the system say to accommodate a Concierge Key member on JetBlue even though that is typically something that is no longer done?

Similarly lets say the president of Fidelity was flying B6 and they controlled a huge Mint contract out of BOS and JFK, I wonder if secret agents at B6 would have a way of accommodating the president of fidelity on AA even though B6 typically does not accommodate on AA?
Old May 25, 2016, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jetsetter
Similarly lets say the president of Fidelity was flying B6 and they controlled a huge Mint contract out of BOS and JFK, I wonder if secret agents at B6 would have a way of accommodating the president of fidelity on AA even though B6 typically does not accommodate on AA?
The president of Fidelity would call her travel agent (or her assistant who would call the TA), who would book the flight on AA, and cancel/refund the B6 flight. @:-) In fact, anyone at Fidelity would probably do that.
Old May 26, 2016, 6:05 pm

The president of Fidelity would call her travel agent (or her assistant who would call the TA), who would book the flight on AA, and cancel/refund the B6 flight. @:-) In fact, anyone at Fidelity would probably do that.
The president (chairman) of Fidelity assuredly flies private -- she's listed as the richest person in Massachusetts.

Last edited by AndyPatterson; May 26, 2016 at 6:11 pm
Old May 27, 2016, 5:39 pm

I was flying PSP-SFO-IAD on VX late last month, and terrible weather in SFO delayed my inbound equipment, and it became certain I'd miss my red-eye connector out of SFO. The folks at the Virgin America desk at PSP put me on a B6 redeye to JFK, which got me back into IAD by noon. Was surprised the VX and B6 interlined, but it got me home. Good thing, because it was a Coachella weekend, and there were no rooms to be had at any price that night in PSP>
Old May 27, 2016, 6:36 pm

Programs: trueblue ,mileageplus skymiles, hilton honors silver
VX and B6

Originally Posted by HomerJay
I was flying PSP-SFO-IAD on VX late last month, and terrible weather in SFO delayed my inbound equipment, and it became certain I'd miss my red-eye connector out of SFO. The folks at the Virgin America desk at PSP put me on a B6 redeye to JFK, which got me back into IAD by noon. Was surprised the VX and B6 interlined, but it got me home. Good thing, because it was a Coachella weekend, and there were no rooms to be had at any price that night in PSP>
I have heard that on this forum previously. Its nice to see at least there is one option with B6. It would be interesting to see what happens after the AS merger.
Old May 27, 2016, 7:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
I was on a WN flight LGA-BNA last year that was the 1st flight of the day. The MDW flight scheduled to depart our gate before us was delayed for a MX issue. WN ended up giving my flight's plane to the MDW flight. My flight was cancelled.

No interlining whatsoever. I had to be in BNA that day. No choice. I called AA and all nonstops were full. WN's only option to get me to BNA that day was to fly immediately from LGA to Canton, Ohio then on to DCA then finally to BNA. I was with about 30 other pax from the original flight. I missed an entire day of business meetings because I arrived almost 10 hours late.

So WN isn't much better in this situation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.