Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

JetBlue announces "Mint" for forward cabin

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JetBlue announces "Mint" for forward cabin

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:50 am

Hi -

I think the $599 fare bucket will be around for awhile. It is not terribly different from the legacy carriers offering discount Y-UP fares.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 5:43 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by airbornedaddy
Hope to give Mint another shot sometime, before the current $599 intro pricing goes away (and it will).
The problem is as soon as that $599 basis starts to rise, B6 becomes a lot less attractive. I'd expect surcharges on the suites first.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 6:37 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by bennos
The problem is as soon as that $599 basis starts to rise, B6 becomes a lot less attractive. I'd expect surcharges on the suites first.
+1

They'll probably stay with $599 for awhile, but I could see them charging $200 to pick a suite.
Old Jul 27, 2014, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, DL Gold
I'd pay $50 for a suite for daytime and $100-125 for redeye. Can't see $200 working. I still think it's a brilliant configuration and leaps and bounds better than what AA did with theirs. I think AA will soon remove F and go 2-class leaving B6 the only 1x1 option for transcons.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 10:35 am

Programs: UA Gold, VX Silver, HH Gold, Hyatt Gold, JPM Palladium
JetBlue's CEO was quoted as saying that he wants to expand Mint to Boston-LAX and Boston-SFO flights. It'd possibly happen at the end of 2015 or in early 2016.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...NTO/story.html
Old Aug 11, 2014, 12:54 pm

Just curious, and my searching skills are bad today so I apologize in advance for not finding the answer - if you purchase a Mint flight with a connection, do you receive any kind of priority or seating benefit on the connecting segment?

For instance, say I book PWM-JFK-LAX - do I get priority security and boarding at PWM? An even more space seat? Or is the benefit of Mint entirely on a per-segment basis?
Old Aug 11, 2014, 4:59 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
No, and this is something JetBlue needs to work on. You get no additional benefits departing PWM. On other airlines (United for example), if I upgrade one segment, I get Premier Access on all segments (provided that I reprint all of the boarding passes). On US Airways, it doesn't display it on the boarding pass (although they really should since they sell "PreferredAccess" as a priority boarding and security service), but usually the line dragon will let you into the priority lane if you show them an onward first class boarding pass.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 8:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Definitely not on the seating; that's consistent with OALs' policies.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:58 am

They confirmed on twitter last night, no on priority check-in/security/boarding, and no current plan to extend it. I don't know that I reaaaaly care about security because I have Precheck, nor boarding because the only time I ever want to get on early is if I'm in the bulkhead (and that would be Even More Space, which would board early). I would, however, like the expedited check-in.

If there's ever a bottleneck at PWM, it's check-in, because the airport does operate at the same speed as the rest of the state The only reason I ever bother to show up >60 minutes before the flight at PWM, even with checked bags, is if I'm flying an airline that doesn't give me priority check-in.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 7:52 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by sbm12
Definitely not on the seating; that's consistent with OALs' policies.
I think it depends on how you ticket. For example, if you buy a W class ticket on DL for a TATL or TPAC segment coded onto AF, VA, or VS, any domestic segments will likely book into full Y (ignoring things like broken fares, etc), which in turn gives you access to Y+ seating and some other stuff. Similarly if you purchase an F/J ticket but your connection doesn't have a premium cabin.

It doesn't seem unreasonable for B6 to treat a connection into Mint similarly.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 2:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bennos
I think it depends on how you ticket. For example, if you buy a W class ticket on DL for a TATL or TPAC segment coded onto AF, VA, or VS, any domestic segments will likely book into full Y (ignoring things like broken fares, etc), which in turn gives you access to Y+ seating and some other stuff. Similarly if you purchase an F/J ticket but your connection doesn't have a premium cabin.

It doesn't seem unreasonable for B6 to treat a connection into Mint similarly.
Neither AA nor UA will give you complimentary access to MCE/E+ on such a ticket. Even booked in the "Y" bucket. Other airlines, too.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 4:51 pm

Neither AA nor UA will give you complimentary access to MCE/E+ on such a ticket. Even booked in the "Y" bucket. Other airlines, too.
DL will. On the infrequent occasions that I travel for work, it's usually on DL and usually booking close in - mostly on M fares. Turned out, DL lets you have an EC seat for free at the time of booking on a Y/B/M fare.

I'm not necessarily sure that I'd get stuck on on an Even More seat on a Mint ticket, but I would expect priority check in, boarding and security. Had I not asked the question, I'd absolutely show up at the airport expecting it.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:41 pm
Original Poster

Does JetBlue even have a priority check-in counter at PWM?
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:07 am

No JetBlue does not really have priority check-in counters at any stations outside of its main hubs, and Mint destinations. On small stations at Portland, Maine, I doubt a priority counter is even necessary and also have a feeling that they don't stock priority tags on those stations. Given how you cannot even use your points for a mixed mint/coach ticket, and there are still some issues that JetBlue needs to work on. Therefore, they give themselves a year of time to evaluate the product. Hopefully they can at least stock priority tags at some of these stations, which can attract some thru fares passengers. It will be nice to give Mint passengers free EMS seats but I have a feeling that their reservation system can't handle it yet.

For now, I just want JetBlue to figure out a way for True Blue members to use points for a mixed Mint/Coach ticket first, and then we can work on MCS next on this mixed Mint/Coach tickets.

Carfield
Old Aug 14, 2014, 7:43 am

Does JetBlue even have a priority check-in counter at PWM?
Good question, I don't actually remember. Every other airline does. There's also an elite security lane and Precheck. If it's nice enough out to take a walk at lunch, I'll go look.

Originally Posted by Carfield
No JetBlue does not really have priority check-in counters at any stations outside of its main hubs, and Mint destinations. On small stations at Portland, Maine, I doubt a priority counter is even necessary and also have a feeling that they don't stock priority tags on those stations.
Carfield
I will tell you from extensive experience that the priority line at the US counter is absolutely necessary

Without compiling any stats and just looking at a couple of months of data, it looks like B6 is carrying as many pax to/from JFK as US is to/from PHL; about as many as WN does to BWI, if we're comparing single hub service; and only a little less than UA carries to ORD/EWR combined. Priority services couldn't hurt here.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.