Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue to join Precheck late 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetblue to join Precheck late 2013

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2013, 9:09 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
This is approaching a dead horse, and I apologize, but I did want to remind JetBlueFA that B6 is the only carrier to roll out the program in pieces, and they are late to the party. It isn't like it was surprise. I am aware that the original source of members came from airline FF elite levels, and Mosaic is fairly recent, so it may have seemed less important, but now TSA is proactively urging people to join the screening program.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 2:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by deelmakur
This is approaching a dead horse, and I apologize, but I did want to remind JetBlueFA that B6 is the only carrier to roll out the program in pieces, and they are late to the party. It isn't like it was surprise. I am aware that the original source of members came from airline FF elite levels, and Mosaic is fairly recent, so it may have seemed less important, but now TSA is proactively urging people to join the screening program.
Hawaiian airlines does not include an elite opt-in only KTN.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 5:48 am
Original Member

The KTN route, via Global Entry, and the like, is the way to go, although it can be tough to schedule the personal interview at some stations. Like HAL, B6 may have customers who spend seasonally (and significantly), don't earn big miles, but already have the required clearance for TSA Pre. They may have underestimated that, when calculating the possible negative PR consequences of a partial rollout. I'm going to guess, HAL, with it's long history of interline ticketing, has an IT system which is compatible with other carriers, and thus TSE PreCheck compliant. I haven't looked that closely, but, while Hawaiian uses the B6 terminal for its JFK-HNL, service, and I think there is some linkage with TrueBlue, it is not integrated to the level of codeshare ability. Ditto Lufthansa, which, at one time had a 24% equity ownership in JetBlue. That points to a proprietary IT system as the culprit. They will get there.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 7:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You know that JetBlue uses SABRE, right? That's hardly some proprietary back-end system that no one else uses.

I'm sure that there are IT reasons why they did it the way they did, but it isn't like they are using some home-grown PSS cobbled together by a bunch of guys in the basement.

ETA: Also, B6 does have codeshare operations with several other airlines including a two-way codeshare with Emirates. There are lots of things which go in to building a codeshare relationship, often more significant than the computer systems.

Last edited by sbm12; Nov 24, 2013 at 7:35 am
Old Nov 24, 2013, 8:27 am

From this thread I've learned that my Pre-Check status through UA will probably not carry over to B6, so I'm considering going the Global Entry route.

I'm currently at JFK twice a week, and on Thursdays, I have plenty of time to kill. The hours at the JFK Global Entry office seem to be fairly accommodating, running from 7am to 8pm 7 days a week.

Can anyone here share a recent experience with the wait time between application in GOES and being contacted for an appointment, as well as how far out the appointment was booked from the contact date? I'm not sure how much longer my current engagement will run, and may need to consider the Boston office if the wait is excessive.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 1:19 pm
Original Member

SBM12, I am aware they use Sabre. Probably a poor choice of descriptive adjectives. I was referring to Navitaire, the very basic res systerm B6 used, before going to Sabre. That said, Sabre has many options within it, enabling customization. I am at a loss to understand why the CRS at JetBlue couldn't have been adapted for TSA Pre more quickly.

Note to Dodge deBoulet. You apply online for Global Entry. If approved, you need a personal interview, where they will also photograph and fingerprint you. You make the appointment online. They list the locations, times, and availabilities. JFK tends to have lots of openings. When I got mine, I was able to make an appointment the next day. I had originally looked at Ft. Lauderdale as an option, and the waiitng time was more than a month, due to limited facilities. Turned out the CBP office was in the Cruise Terminal at Port Everglades, not FLL.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 4:38 pm
Original Poster

To those of you applying for Global Entry remember that you can schedule your interview at any enrollment site, not just the one closest to you. Also appointments open up very frequently so if your local enrollment center is booked out for months you can sometimes get lucky and get an appointment much sooner if you check the GOES website several times a day.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 9:07 am

Programs: jetblue mosaic, spg plat/ambassador, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Lurker1999
To those of you applying for Global Entry remember that you can schedule your interview at any enrollment site, not just the one closest to you. Also appointments open up very frequently so if your local enrollment center is booked out for months you can sometimes get lucky and get an appointment much sooner if you check the GOES website several times a day.

fwiw, i just showed up to the enrollment sites three different times on random connections and they took me the third time. i pretended i didnt know how i was supposed to do it and they said "oh we can just do it now". YMMV.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 3:46 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
This is approaching a dead horse, and I apologize, but I did want to remind JetBlueFA that B6 is the only carrier to roll out the program in pieces
VX started with KTN before inviting in elites.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 4:32 am
Original Member

But VX PreCheck wasn't restricted to mobile only. Actually, I discussed this with an IT friend of mine, who told me, to accomodate PreCheck, Sabre requires a rework of what is called PECTAB. This is apparently the protocol needed to integrate boarding passes with the TSA program. On the Sabre side, alone, that's probably several hundred hours of time. One person indicated they thought JetBlue, in addition to having a smaller IT staff, may also have different types of printers at various stations. If that were the case, the testing phase would take longer. Why others had less trouble doing it, is a mystery to me. B6 is usually out front on things to make travel easier.
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:26 pm

is a mystery to me.
How is it that you can write a post providing several reasons why it might be the case and then still conclude that it is a mystery how they got there??
Old Nov 26, 2013, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by sbm12
I had forgotten about that part. And you cannot edit it online. I guess I'll find out on Monday (or Sunday night) how well it works without a middle name in the reservation and my Trusted Traveler number in there as well.
Worked without the middle name in that my mobile BP had the PreCheck icon. Alas, at JFK the TSA is only staffing PreCheck 6-9am (or 6-10; I got conflicting answers) so I had the regular wait/check in the evening.
Old Nov 27, 2013, 7:56 am
Original Member

What's your point? I was being polite. It's fairly obvious they were late, and didn't see it as a priority. That better?
Old Dec 23, 2013, 7:00 am

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Why is this not available in PHL? There's already a PreCheck lane in the D/E checkpoint that leads straight to the B6 gate.
Old Dec 23, 2013, 10:02 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Why is this not available in PHL? There's already a PreCheck lane in the D/E checkpoint that leads straight to the B6 gate.
Probably because PHL isn't an airport that supports mobile boarding passes. As I recall, the initial rollout does not include paper passes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.