Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue to join Precheck late 2013

Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

http://skift.com/2012/12/21/jetblue-...-late-in-2013/

Asked why JetBlue wasn’t aleady part of PreCheck, Steinberg says: “At the invite of government, the design of the program favored the legacy model.”

I found that to be the most intriguing snippet of the article. What is he referring to?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 3:50 pm

Programs: TrueBlue, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Enterprise Plus
Jetblue is one of the worst when it comes to implementing technology on the back end. That is what he is getting at. They can't figure out their own email system after a year now, and you want them to be able to notify the right passengers that their eligible?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 8:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by techman01
Jetblue is one of the worst when it comes to implementing technology on the back end. That is what he is getting at. They can't figure out their own email system after a year now, and you want them to be able to notify the right passengers that their eligible?
What's wrong with the email system?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 9:17 am

Programs: TrueBlue, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Enterprise Plus
Originally Posted by amejr999
What's wrong with the email system?
If you change the email address linked to your trueblue account, you stop receiving emails. They've been aware of the issue going on a year now, but have yet to figure out a solution.

It's a database issue with the provider their using(amtrak uses the same one).

They are always "working" on it when you ask and tell you they know about it.
Old Sep 5, 2013, 2:06 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Any updates on this?

This TSA press release says Jetblue coming as soon as operationally ready, whatever that means.

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/20...ional-airports
Old Sep 8, 2013, 3:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL Plat, Marriott Bonvoy LIfetime Titanium/SPG refugee, Hertz Prez, Amtrak Select
Asked today at JFK T5 and TSA agent told me goal was to have it in place before Thanksgiving.

Impression is that JB's technology is the reason it has been delayed. Not sophisticated enough to communicate as needed with TSA database.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:01 pm
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
The program originally contemplated airlines "nominating" elite members of their FF programs, on the premise that such individuals were well known to the carriers. At the time, JetBlue had no elite membership. Subsequently, flyers obtaining Global Entry were permitted to use their program member number on any participating TSA PRE carrier (Global Entry is a CPB program), and thus, egalitarian companies, like B6 and WN, were caught out of position. Now that TSA PRE has expanded to so many additional airports, and aggressive recruitment of participants has begun, my guess is that we will see JetBlue onboard by year end.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 1:45 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by deelmakur
The program originally contemplated airlines "nominating" elite members of their FF programs, on the premise that such individuals were well known to the carriers. At the time, JetBlue had no elite membership. Subsequently, flyers obtaining Global Entry were permitted to use their program member number on any participating TSA PRE carrier (Global Entry is a CPB program), and thus, egalitarian companies, like B6 and WN, were caught out of position. Now that TSA PRE has expanded to so many additional airports, and aggressive recruitment of participants has begun, my guess is that we will see JetBlue onboard by year end.
CBP Trusted Travelers (including GE members) have been eligible for PreCheck from the program's inception.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 3:49 pm

I do not understand why the airline has to be involved. You have a separate line and you have your ID card. There is no airline "by-in" for Global entry.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 8:03 pm

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by awayIgo
I do not understand why the airline has to be involved. You have a separate line and you have your ID card. There is no airline "by-in" for Global entry.
GE card alone doesn't work, you need to add your PASSID to your ticket. At time of checkin the system makes a decision weather that particular ticket is eligible for PreCheck, the computer system at checkin time introduces the random factor. Thus the reason that the airline needs to participate.
Old Sep 12, 2013, 5:06 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
The use of individual carriers to create the original TSA Pre member pool, was effectively, an outsourcing. In my case, it revealed the nuances of elite membership, in the current environment. As a lifetime Platinum, on CO, at the time, I was never offered Pre by the airline. It seems there are subsets, within elite tier levels. They are more interested in customers who have to requalify every year. That makes sense. With the push to expand Global Entry, users of TSA Pre can anticipate an increase in airport security processing times, but the issue is more basic at non participating airlines.

Last edited by deelmakur; Sep 12, 2013 at 7:20 am
Old Sep 14, 2013, 7:25 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by ellinj
GE card alone doesn't work, you need to add your PASSID to your ticket. At time of checkin the system makes a decision weather that particular ticket is eligible for PreCheck, the computer system at checkin time introduces the random factor. Thus the reason that the airline needs to participate.
AIUI, the decision is made by TSA when the airline submits so-called Secure Flight data for review. The PASSID is part of the data submitted. At checkin, if approved the boarding pass is encoded, and the TSA scanner will beep appropriately. TSA can randomly decline Pre-√ as part of Secure Flight vetting, or at the checkpoint.

In any event, I do hope B6 joins. I just picked VX over B6 for an itinerary, partly because of schedule and partly because VX is now participating.
Old Sep 15, 2013, 7:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by bennos
AIUI, the decision is made by TSA when the airline submits so-called Secure Flight data for review. The PASSID is part of the data submitted. At checkin, if approved the boarding pass is encoded, and the TSA scanner will beep appropriately. TSA can randomly decline Pre-√ as part of Secure Flight vetting, or at the checkpoint.
Correct.

I do know that JetBlue plans to participate eventually. Seems like a systems integration issue at this point.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 1:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold, UA Plat (1mm),Marriott LT Plat, Avis PC, National Exec Elite, Hertz PC
JetBlue / TA PreCheck

There's no evidence to suggest JetBlue cares about joining Pre Check. My emails to Jet Blue go unanswered or their responses are sufficiently vague to avoid any commitment on their part. Why spend the resources to join PreCheck when they are pushing their "Even More Speed" payup program? If they wanted to join (and kill off Even More Speed revenue) they would be say so and put a date on it.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 4:38 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Honestly, I don't think very many people pay for Even More Speed by itself since it's bundled with Even More Space.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.