Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > JetBlue | TrueBlue
Reload this Page >

Jetblue to join Precheck late 2013

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Jetblue to join Precheck late 2013

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:24 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by deelmakur
Obviously, their IT system can't easily adapt. Pushing out a partial solution, using mobile devices, many of which have signal problems in terminals, simply alienates customers. In my case, while I have a PASSID from Global Entry, I use a non i-Phone/Android device, so I'm screwed. The other day, at EWR, I watched as a guy's phone crapped out, just as he was about to enter Security. Quite a hassle. Sorry B6, but this one is amateur time. I can hardly wait to see how they handle the forthcoming transcon, Premium cabin rollout.
Another idea to avoid the hassle of network connectivity issues is to take a screenshot of your BP and pull that up at security. To take a screenshot from Android or Apple is very simple just two buttons pushed simultaneously. It is unfortunate to only see MBP get Pre√ but paper is on its way. I personally use MBP all the time when I fly and was pleasantly surprised when jetBlue added MBP to SEA. Now I never have to use paper.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by louispup
I was invited to join PreCheck as an AA Platinum member several years ago, and have enjoyed this benefit many times while flying AA. Does my enrollment in PreCheck thru AA cross over to any B6 reservations I make now that B6 has joined the program, or is it only AA specific? Can't find this issue addressed on either the TSA or B6 websites.
No you'll have to be invited by Jetblue. The easier way is to just apply for Global Entry which is a steal at $100 for 5 years.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 8:37 pm

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, AAdvantage
Originally Posted by dw
Originally Posted by Philosofaux
From the FAQs on the B6 website:
« Please note: EWR, LGA, FLL, SFO and SJU will require you to remove your 3-1-1 liquids and your laptop from your bag. »

Just curious: does anyone know why this is?
I don't really care necessarily, but I'd like to know anyway.
Apparently the checkpoints B6 uses at these airports aren't yet set up for "full" PreCheck, so they seem to be operating some sort of a hybrid. This doesn't actually make any logical sense to me-- if the TSA is already doing a hybrid set-up, how hard could it be to open a full PreCheck lane?
TSA isn't really doing much of a hybrid, just allowing Pre√ qualified people to leave shoes and light jackets on in regular lanes. Pre√ requires a specific setup.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 11:37 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
BOS's Terminal C has a full Pre√ lane. It was put in at the nagging of United.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 3:39 am

Programs: jetblue mosaic, spg plat/ambassador, UA GS, AA EXP
Originally Posted by diburning
BOS's Terminal C has a full Pre√ lane. It was put in at the nagging of United.
Except for the gates at 40/41/42. I just went through there and precheck came through on my BP just fine, but as at some other airports, i still had to take my liquids and laptop out of the bag. Got to go through the metal detector, but i got harassed on the other side by TSA folks that didn't see i had the laminated "expedited" waiver. (the security guy in me shudders)

Hopefully they'll get training on this soon .. i like using this type of benefit but i dont want to be one of those FF a-holes who fights with uninformed TSA agents over small details.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 5:56 am
Original Member

Programs: United Premier 1K, American AAdvantage Gold
The NYT online reports the company will not have printed boarding pass capability until April. Presumably, their IT folks are busy working on Healthcare.gov. Meanwhile, note that the mobile option is airport specific. For example, it is not available at West Palm Beach, where they are the largest carrier. People are starting to notice the missing WiFi, ever higher fares, where they are often more than Legacy carriers, and a confusing FF program, based on points, redemption of which is dynamic. Another wrinkle. I recently had trouble cancelling an award ticket, where I had used an additional cash payment for Even More Space. Many calls, before I finally realized that their IT system separates the ticketing streams. It took two departments, and two different programs, to unbundle the hybrid ticket. My point is, their IT doesn't appear to be integrated, internally, which is probably why they can do a mobile PreCheck, and not a printed one.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dustman81
The only way Precheck transcends carriers is through the use of a Trusted Traveler number (Global Entry, NEXUS or Sentri). Your Precheck eligibility through AA is only good on AA.
Except that there is some evidence that it crosses over with UA/US as I noted above. It might actually work. No guarantees and I'd bet against it, but it might work.

... and a confusing FF program, based on points, redemption of which is dynamic.
We must be talking to different people. Most I've interacted with outside of this small community seem to like the simplicity of the relatively fixed-value points and redeeming for any seat on the plane. And everyone will get used to it soon enough as the legacies migrate in that direction as well.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 8:18 am
Original Member

Not to go off subject, but the points required for a free ticket go up and down, like fares, supposedly based on demand. That's different from a fixed number of miles, per award. Points are also based on spend. I often earn more to Florida, from NYC, than I do flying to the West Coast. Perhaps I'm confused. As a long time road warrior, I am a million miler with 2 Legacy carriers. I've been playing this game since the programs were begun, over 30 years ago. That said, my point was about the current IT system, which appears to be incompatible in some areas. Smaller carriers, like Virgin America, Alaska, and Hawaiian, have had no difficulty adopting PreCheck, nor has Southwest, which just absorbed AirTran.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:28 am

nor has Southwest, which just absorbed AirTran.

airtran? you mean the airline that i can't use my southwest drink coupons on because they cant scan them yet?

no one's perfect.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:39 am
Original Member

But does PreCheck work?
Old Nov 22, 2013, 9:50 am
Original Member

Actually, I just checked, and it doesn't, but AirTran is being phased out. Again, my point is that B6 has some sort of home brew IT system, which apparently produces barcodes that are different than other major carriers, and thus not readily capable of being coded with KTN information that can be read by TSA scanners. I note the visual, showing the sample hologram for a mobile device, looks different than those produced for printed boarding passes.

Last edited by deelmakur; Nov 22, 2013 at 9:56 am
Old Nov 22, 2013, 11:41 am

Programs: AA PPro, Mariott Ambassador, B6 Mosaic, SBUX Gold, Best Buy Elite
Originally Posted by dustman81
The only way Precheck transcends carriers is through the use of a Trusted Traveler number (Global Entry, NEXUS or Sentri). Your Precheck eligibility through AA is only good on AA.
US and UA reciprocate, probably a side benefit of being in the same alliance, but I don't expect that to last. I have GE now so I have gotten it on a handful of different airlines.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 6:20 pm

But does PreCheck work?

for airtran? no, as a matter of fact, i could not use my precheck 2 weeks ago. the systems are different.

edit: i see you corrected yourself. i thought at first glance you were talking about the drink ticket system.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 6:07 am

Programs: jetBlue TrueBlue, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors Diamond
We have launched a preliminary version of PreCheck.

Since there are so many ways a Customer can book, manage, and check in for flights, we’ll implement TSA Pre✓™ in two phases to make things easier. Phase 1.0 will launch on Thursday, Nov. 21 while Phase 2.0 will take effect during Q1 2014.

Customers who participate in a Known Traveler Program (i.e. Global Entry, SENTRI, NEXUS), active military should enter their PASS ID/Known Traveler Number numbers in the Known Traveler field when booking travel on JetBlue.com.

If a Customer doesn’t book their flight with their Known Traveler Number (KTN) they won’t be able to do so during check in –- it must be done during the booking process (at least for now):
Old Nov 23, 2013, 7:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Originally Posted by JetBlueFA
We have launched a preliminary version of PreCheck.

If a Customer doesn’t book their flight with their Known Traveler Number (KTN) they won’t be able to do so during check in –- it must be done during the booking process (at least for now):
Maybe not during OLCI but you can add KTK to existing reservations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.