Search

Itinerary Advice

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2009, 6:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MH Enrich, VS FC, HH Gold, PC, SPG Gold, Marco Polo Gold, Accor Plat
Itinerary Advice

Hi All,

I am going to Hong Kong and Japan for my honeymoon in Dec2009-Jan2010. This is a basic rundown of what we would to do etc I will need to depart back from NRT to HKG on the 20th of Jan.

I will depart HKG for NRT on 3rd Jan having spent new years at HKG. So I will arrive in Tokyo around afternoon, spend the rest of the day there. I plan to spend another night in tokyo, so effectively 2 nights in Tokyo so far. I would like to explore more of tokyo as I like the city "thing" etc. So I was thinking to finish off my japan trip by spending the last 4 nights in tokyo.

So 3rd,4th in Tokyo.
5th Jan I depart for Kyoto??? or Hokkaido/sapporo??? I can't decide to go north first or south? I understand sapporo is quite a way by shinkansen? How many hours? Also will it be safe to catch a flight to hokkaido during Jan, just worried about the weather conditions?
Was thinking of a 7 day or 14 day JR rail pass?
I was thinking arriving back at tokyo on 16th jan.

Can anyone assist me here ?
I plan to visit, kyoto,nara,osaka,hiroshima,himeji,miyajima,mount fuji would like to try onsen (either in kyoto or hakone?) or any others you recommend me or I should leave out ? note I would like to have a relaxed schedule not too hectic

I won't be going back to japan anytime soon as have financial commitments and family

Cheers,
Kenn.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 8:45 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Unless you really, really like snow or want to go skiing at one of Hokkaido resorts, stay away from Hokkaido in January. Especially if you're Australian and have just come from Hong Kong and have never experienced temperatures far below freezing.

Also, forget actually going to Mt. Fuji in the winter. You can't climb it at that time of year (well, you probably could, illegally, but it would be bitterly cold and possibly snowy). At that time of year, when the air tends to be dry, the mountain that the English-speaking foreign students at my university called "the Fooj" is often visible from tall buildings in Tokyo and/or the north side of the Shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto. It's visible for a good long time, too.

It sounds as if you'll do enough traveling for a JR Pass, but whether to get a 7-day or 14-day pass depends on...how long you plan to stay.

By the way, you should definitely get a guide book and do a search on some of the previous posts here.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 10:11 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the reply. Do you recommend frommers or lonely planet books or any others?

Also yeah I would like to see snow and maybe try a bit of skiing, that is why I wanted to have a look at Hokkaido...
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:23 pm

Originally Posted by k3nnis
Thanks for the reply. Do you recommend frommers or lonely planet books or any others?
Start with Wikitravel

http://wikitravel.org/en/Japan

Also yeah I would like to see snow and maybe try a bit of skiing, that is why I wanted to have a look at Hokkaido...
You don't need to go as far as Hokkaido for that, Japan's all mountains and there are tons of ski resorts accessible from Tokyo. Nagano (Winter Olympics ring a bell?), Yuzawa (with its own Shinkansen station), etc etc.
Old Aug 19, 2009, 11:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Since you have quite a few days visiting during winter and want to enjoy onsen; I suggest you investigate Wakura Onsen and Kanazawa. It's about 2 hours by train from Kyoto. Not bitter cold but you should see snow.

We stayed at a ryokan called Kagaya and it is very nice.
Old Aug 20, 2009, 12:44 am
Original Poster

Thanks guys. The reason I had Hokkaido/Sapporo in mind is because my relatives said it's a must go But I wonder what clothing do I require to bring for that weather?
Old Aug 20, 2009, 2:58 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
As an alternative, you could do a "triangle" tour

(1) Fly HKG to CTS direct - Do some skiing
(2) Fly from CTS (or another airport in Hokkaido) to FUK (or another airport in West Japan)
(3) Travel by from Fukuoka to Tokyo with stops in Hiroshima, Kyoto and other places of interest.

... and then fly home from NRT.

The appropriate clothing for Hokkaido in winter is a thick coat, sweater, gloves, warm hat etc. The full winter getup. (What did you expect?)
Old Aug 21, 2009, 11:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, JGC Sapphire, OZ Diamond, AF Silver, CX GR, Marriott Lifetime SL
Originally Posted by jib71
As an alternative, you could do a "triangle" tour

(1) Fly HKG to CTS direct - Do some skiing
(2) Fly from CTS (or another airport in Hokkaido) to FUK (or another airport in West Japan)
(3) Travel by from Fukuoka to Tokyo with stops in Hiroshima, Kyoto and other places of interest.

... and then fly home from NRT.

The appropriate clothing for Hokkaido in winter is a thick coat, sweater, gloves, warm hat etc. The full winter getup. (What did you expect?)
Triangle flight with no back track is always good... but it is always remotely expensive :P

Actually as OP is from Australia, It makes most sense that he stop by HKG in terms of frequency and cost. (No one beat Singapore / hong kong / Thai for Kangaroo route I guess)

Though OP can consider HKG --> CTS // CTS --> HND // NRT --> HKG instead if he will do visit in Hokkaido

Basically all CX CTS ticket can openjaw to exit from any Japan port
Also OP can consider HKG --> NRT // FUK --> HKG (or KIX --> HKG), it may add 1K HKD to the ticket but brings you way more convenience

Last edited by ChrisLi; Aug 21, 2009 at 11:42 pm Reason: OP is from OZ ... pass though HK makes most sense
Old Aug 22, 2009, 1:27 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Jetstar Airways has very cheap Australia to Japan flights.
Old Aug 22, 2009, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by ChrisLi
Triangle flight with no back track is always good... but it is always remotely expensive :P
I don't understand what "remotely expensive" means. However, with the available air passes, the itin that I suggested need not be more expensive than the OP's original plan.
Old Aug 25, 2009, 9:34 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys for the replies. If I had to fly HKG-NRT-HKG is Sapporo still doable? What will be the disadvantage of this route?

I was thinking either NRT -> CTS and spend 2 nights or so there and then fly back to NRT and work myself southwards and then back to NRT with the bullet train and then NRT->HKG. The other method i was thinking was arrive at NRT and work southwards and then fly from KIX->CTS->NRT??? I will be using 2 sector japan oneworld airpass I guess since CX is oneworld.

Thanks,
K.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 2:03 am

Thanks guys for the replies. If I had to fly HKG-NRT-HKG is Sapporo still doable? What will be the disadvantage of this route?

I was thinking either NRT -> CTS and spend 2 nights or so there and then fly back to NRT and work myself southwards and then back to NRT with the bullet train and then NRT->HKG. The other method i was thinking was arrive at NRT and work southwards and then fly from KIX->CTS->NRT??? I will be using 2 sector japan oneworld airpass I guess since CX is oneworld.

Thanks,
K.
I think you just need to check the times of the various flights and trains and see what works best for you. (Probably best to do this with a map in front of you). If you were to post a specific itinerary, people might have suggestions to improve it.

Reading your post, I get the impression that you're planning to be travelling in and out of NRT a bit more than I would prefer. But to be honest, I'm a little confused about the options you're considering.

Worth noting that there are domestic flights from many airports - Your options for domestic connections are not just KIX / NRT / CTS.

Last edited by jib71; Aug 26, 2009 at 2:08 am
Old Aug 26, 2009, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Sorry my rough itenary is as follows:

3rd Jan - Arrive Tokyo
4th Jan - Tokyo
5th Jan - Kyoto
6th Jan - Kyoto
7th Jan - Kyoto
8th Jan - Himeji
9th Jan - Hiroshima?
10th Jan - Hiroshima?
11th Jan- Osaka
12th Jan - Osaka
13th Jan - Osaka
14th Jan - Sapporo
15th Jan - Sapporo
16th Jan - Tokyo
17th Jan -Tokyo
18th Jan - Tokyo
19th Jan - Tokyo
20th Jan - Back to HKG

As you can see I like the modern japan, i.e. spend a bit of time in osaka and tokyo.

Can anyone suggest the transport method for the above route or if you can minimize or maximise the amount of days I should spend? I would like to spend around 5 nights in tokyo if possible... Also I don't like to rush things unless I have no choice.

Another option is to go to sapporo at the beginning of the itenary, but I will leave that to the experts

Cheers,
Kenn.

Originally Posted by jib71
I think you just need to check the times of the various flights and trains and see what works best for you. (Probably best to do this with a map in front of you). If you were to post a specific itinerary, people might have suggestions to improve it.

Reading your post, I get the impression that you're planning to be travelling in and out of NRT a bit more than I would prefer. But to be honest, I'm a little confused about the options you're considering.

Worth noting that there are domestic flights from many airports - Your options for domestic connections are not just KIX / NRT / CTS.
Old Aug 26, 2009, 7:20 am

As I wrote previously, I think you need to check the times of the various flights and trains and see what works best for you.

Hyperdia is a good resource for finding out what's possible in terms of domestic travel by rail and air.

Depending on the arrival time of your flight from HKG, you might want to look at the possibility of connecting at NRT to a domestic flight. There aren't many domestic flights out of NRT, but it's possible to get to CTS, FUK, and HIJ, for example. I think that any of those places would be quite a handy start point for the trip you're planning. (Alternatively, it might make sense to end your trip in one of those places - and get a flight to NRT that lets you connect with your international departure).

Another thing that you might want to consider is using a JR pass for some of the more expensive rail trips you might make - That means bringing together some of the expensive train journeys into one period.

I'd also recommend grouping the time that you allocated for the Osaka/Kyoto region (rather than sandwiching Himeji annd Hiroshima between Osaka and Kyoto) and leaving your plans flexible so that you can change your mind if you find one place particularly interesting. (Osaka/Kyoto/Nara/Kobe are close enough together that you could use Osaka or Kyoto as a base to explore the whole region).

Time to hit the timetables....
Old Aug 26, 2009, 10:16 pm

Another option is to go to sapporo at the beginning of the itenary, but I will leave that to the experts
As others have said, you're bouncing around the map like crazy and will waste a lot of time backtracking. Visit the places you want to go to in order, Tokyo -> Kyoto -> Osaka -> Himeji -> Hiroshima, and then fly/train it back. Or, better yet, look into an open jaw so you can fly into NRT and out from KIX.

And why would you want to go to Sapporo? What are you expecting to find there?

Last but definitely not least, you're missing something very important in your itinerary: the countryside. Head up to the mountains, go for a hike, stay in a hot spring ryokan or a temple. This is a completely different side of Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.