Search

Ryokans

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: Cathay Pacific, BA, Lufthansa, Starwood
Ryokans

Hi all,

Has anyone done the whole ryokan in Japan thing?

If so, what's it like? What are the dos and don'ts? Are the rooms comfortable (obv. this depends on what kind of place it is, but generally speaking) and is it something I should definitely do whilst in Japan?

I'm visiting Kyoto and Tokyo and am looking into places there.

Thank you.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by paehk
Hi all,

Has anyone done the whole ryokan in Japan thing?
No, not really. There are only a couple of ryokans that have government permission to admit foreigners, and I don't think anybody in this forum has gone through the application process. I heard it is very difficult.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to the Japan Forum paehk.

First thing to point out to you is that standards at Ryokans vary wildly.

The quintessential Ryokan experience I would recommend (which will include a welcome tea, full evening meal, a soak in a natural Spring water bath, a full breakfast and impeccable and thoughtful service) is not common at all within Tokyo. It is commonly available in Kyoto, but the prices for good Ryokans are particularly steep there.

Many places, especially at reasonable prices in these two cities, that call themselves Ryokans are Hostals or basic hotels with Japanese style rooms.

Whilst I would certainly encourage you to stay in a Ryokan, I would advise you to stay in one in an area between Tokyo and Kyoto or in a surrounding area. This way, for perhaps ¥13,000 or so, you can almost be guaranteed of an unforgettable experience in a very comfortable room with outstanding food.

If you want more detailed info and a guide to etiquette you can find this here
http://www.ryokan.or.jp/index_en.html

For suggestions of where to stay:
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/index.htm
Is a recommended booking agency

If you are nervous or unwilling to stay too far from Tokyo or Kyoto, a couple of suggestions are:
Kurama Onsen - a short local train ride from Kyoto
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/db/kyoto/kurama.htm
(Which has had good reports from here)

or
Wakamatsu Honten in Narita
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/d...atsuhonten.htm

There is Sadachiyo in Tokyo
http://www.japaneseguesthouses.com/d.../sadachiyo.htm
But a lodging and meals plan will not be cheap - and lodging at a Ryokan without eating there would mean missing out on the main reason most of us rate a Ryokan stay so highly.
----

My only Ryokan stays have been in more rural areas so I can give you no first hand recommendations for any of these suggestions. I also suspect you can find better/more atmospheric places if you are prepared to factor in a Ryokan stay as part of your trip. I'm certain you would find it worth your while.

If money is no object, then by all means stay in one of Kyoto's top Ryokans. Without knowing your budget, or what you would be prepared to pay, it is very hard to advise you.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Pickles
No, not really. There are only a couple of ryokans that have government permission to admit foreigners, and I don't think anybody in this forum has gone through the application process. I heard it is very difficult.
Did you also know that they will start testing all foreigners Japanese language ability whilst taking your photo and fingerprints......

What the above had to do with Ryokans, I don't know but I thought it would be beneficial to this discussion.

BTW OP-sama, there is a "search" function at the top of this forum which might be of assistance.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

........dupemash!ta gomen ne
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:17 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Been looking into this for a trip this Summer too...

Does anyone know this service (and have any opinions on it?): http://www.itcj.jp/
Old Jan 16, 2008, 4:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stut
Been looking into this for a trip this Summer too...

Does anyone know this service (and have any opinions on it?): http://www.itcj.jp/
I've looked through it a few times when trying to find cheap hotels, but I've never used them as I've always found better value rooms elsewhere.

In post 10 here: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=779163
I've compiled a run down on what a budget minded traveller can expect to pay in Tokyo.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:58 am

Staying in a ryokan is an excellent way to get a traditional Japanese experience. Id recommend doing it in Kyoto for a couple of nights at most. As an earlier poster mentioned they do vary widely in comfort level but no matter what you will be sleeping on a futon on top of tatami, so it will be harder than your mattress at home! Its still a great unique experience, especially when you get your meals served to you in the room.

Also, the earlier post saying that they are only open to Japanese is not correct. I am a caucasian american and have stayed at a few of these hotels over the years.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sglobus
Also, the earlier post saying that they are only open to Japanese is not correct.
This forum has many, many reports of experiences of Ryokans from regulars and occasional visitors alike.

The initial question is akin to posting "Has anyone done the whole taxi in Manhattan thing?" in a New York forum. It just isn't worth giving a sensible answer to (I actually ignored it and just answered a question the OP probably hasn't realised is worth asking yet).
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by LapLap
This forum has many, many reports of experiences of Ryokans from regulars and occasional visitors alike.
Including Pickles, even though he's not Japanese but a green vegetable in a vinegar jar.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 6:27 pm
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for the advice.

@LapLap - sadly we don't have time to stray off the beaten track. We're going primarily for the skiing in Niseko, but have made some time to detour in Kyoto and Tokyo.

Our budget will be about $200 per night.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC Prestige, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, Radisson Gold Elite, HHonors
Talking

I have used ryokans extensitively during my 1st to 3rd stay in Japan. 1st time in Japan, I used five ryokans in 2 months (crazy I know, but I wanted to move around and enjoy different areas of the country at the same time) the year was 2003 by the way.

Looking forward to celebrating my fifth trip to Japan this summer!

Sanosuke!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA GS, SQ PPS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold
If you're wondering what the experience of staying in a ryokan is like, I wrote a blog post here about my experiences in one ryokan on Itsukushima.

It's definitely an experience worth having, though I would highly recommend you do so in Kyoto rather than Tokyo. Your $200 is unlikely to go very far, however. Also, keep in mind that ryokans charge per person rather than per room.
Old Jan 16, 2008, 9:48 pm
Original Poster

Thanks Scifience for the link to your blog. I enjoyed reading it, although think I'd better go on a diet before heading to the onsens!
Old Jan 16, 2008, 11:41 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Did you also know that they will start testing all foreigners Japanese language ability whilst taking your photo and fingerprints......

What the above had to do with Ryokans, I don't know but I thought it would be beneficial to this discussion.
And I thought you were kidding.

Mainichi News
Gov't to consider Japanese language ability as requirement for long-stay foreigners

The Foreign Ministry and Justice Ministry have decided to consider making Japanese language ability a requirement for foreigners seeking long-term residency and when screening their residency permits, it has been learned.

The aim of the measures is to make it easier for the increasing number of non-Japanese in Japan to blend into the community, and provide an increased incentive for foreigners coming to Japan to learn Japanese.
Ya, I blend into my community.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.