Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Sign in using an external account

Old Jan 30, 06, 7:19 am   #1
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Capsule hotel in/near NRT?

I may be routing through NRT on an Asian trip some. I was wondering if there are any capsulte hotels in/hear NRT that I could use. I think it would be cool to try, and nice to be able to lay horizontal for about eight hours or so before I go on.
whirledtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 06, 8:16 am   #2

Programs: HH, BD
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler
I may be routing through NRT on an Asian trip some. I was wondering if there are any capsulte hotels in/hear NRT that I could use. I think it would be cool to try, and nice to be able to lay horizontal for about eight hours or so before I go on.
AFAIK, there are no capsule hotels in the immediate area around Narita airport. (I suppose that space is not at such a premium and there aren't very many drunk office workers who missed their last train home in the area around the airport).

Also - AFAIK - capsule hotels tend not to be open to guests between 10am and 4pm. I believe that they use this time to clean the capsules.

If you are doing an overnight stop at NRT, and you are desperate to try a capsule hotel, then you could catch the Keisei train to Ueno or Chiba. I don't recommend it, but I guess it's a "cultural experience" of sorts.

If you are not going to stay overnight... then your best bet for getting some "horizontal time" during an 8 hour stopover would be the day rooms at Narita airport or one of the ordinary hotels near the airport.

Last edited by jib71; Jan 30, 06 at 8:19 am.
jib71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 06, 7:46 am   #3

If you can read Japanese, go
http://travel.rakuten.co.jp/HOTEL/39177/39177.html

It's not your request, maybe a dormitory.
Hirano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 06, 8:53 am   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BD, PCplat
As jib71 says, space isn't exacly at a premium around Narita (You can get a double room at the Tobu Narita for about 6,000yen - the usual cost of a capsule room in the city)

For an alternative quintessentially Japanese experience, how about spending the night here:

http://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/e/laqua/spa.htm

Access info: http://www.tokyo-dome.co.jp/e/access/
(Korakuen station is just a couple of stops from Ueno - a train journey should take about 70 minutes)

Not all salarimen make it to capsule hotels, you'll see a quite a few people dozing in these all night spas.
LapLap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 06, 3:45 pm   #5

Programs: HH, BD
That's a pretty good suggestion from LapLap -

IMHO the LaQua spa would be a fun experience if you have an 8 hour stopover during the day-time. However, if we're talking about an overnight stopover... I would rather not use that facility for an overnight stay. I can't get to sleep in a huge hall of strangers who are watching TV on reclining chairs.

Note - The LaQua spa is not quite as easy to reach as LapLap's post suggests. I think this is the best route:

From the Keisei Ueno station, you should walk South for a couple of blocks until you reach the Ueno Okachimachi subway station (for the Oedo line). From there, you can catch the Oedo line to Kasuga.
The LaQua spa is directly next to Kasuga station. (*Basically it's the same location as Korakuen station).
Old Sep 1, 07, 12:25 pm   #6
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Spa Onsen NRT layover package for under 6,000

I found a cheaper alternative to LaQua which might suit those with departures after 8:00am. In my mind, this would be the most cost effective solution to those who want to spend a layover in an interesting location - and the price of beers and snacks shouldn't be exhorbitant.
NRT Overnight layover
----------------

Kodainoyu
Okudo 4-2-1 (Katsushika-ku) MAP

Entry 2,565 open from 10am to 8am
- supplement for visits past 1am 1,575
Private baths available from 2,100 per hour (until 11pm)
Beds and loungers available for sleeping (see below)

Courtesy Buses to Kodainoyu from several stations
From NRT the best option is Aoto on the Keiyo line (NRT-AOTO 890)
From Aoto TIMETABLE

(Shinkoiwa is probably best for access to Tokyo itself)
From ShinKoiwa TIMETABLE (JR Sobu line from Tokyo 12mins 160 or JR Sobu Chuo line from Akihabara 13mins 160)
From Kameari TIMETABLE (JR Joban Line from Nippori 18mins 160)

If Spring water baths aren't your thing there are other options: AS SHOWN HERE (Note that you will be asked to leave at 7:30am)

First courtesy bus goes to Aoto station at 06:50am, however Aoto is a 700 taxi ride away should you need to get to NRT earlier (first train to NRT leaves Aoto at 05:22, arrives at 06:39 costs 890)
Total cost for overnight layover: return train to Aoto (bus to Onsen is free) 1,780 + onsen entry 2,565 + late night supplement 1,575= 5,920
add another 7/800 for a taxi to Aoto if your flight leaves early

Entry for Kodainoyu is half price for ladies on Mondays and half price for gentlemen on Tuesdays this September.

Last edited by LapLap; Sep 1, 07 at 6:32 pm.
Old Sep 1, 07, 12:46 pm   #7

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by whirledtraveler View Post
There are several near the Tokyo Stn. These are primarily for those who had past the time for last train and didn't want to take taxi's home. So you will not find them near airports.
Old Sep 1, 07, 1:11 pm   #8
kuf

Programs: UA 2P
Some hotels do "ohirune (napping) plan" during the day time and during that time you can get a room for $50 (or less.... if you stay over at night, they could cost over $100). I'm pretty sure some hotels near Narita have similar deals.
kuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 07, 7:37 pm   #9
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The modern take on Capsule Hotels

Locations all over Tokyo

http://www.himapara.com/
Old Sep 1, 07, 7:44 pm   #10

Programs: Japan Forum
Flyertalk is supposed to be family friendly! lol
railroadtycoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 07, 7:49 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon View Post
It was when I sat in one of those little cubicles.

I watched "Spirited Away"
Old Sep 2, 07, 6:57 am   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by railroadtycoon View Post
I guess all those containers of wet tissues are for when you eat greasy food in the cubicle.
valve bouncer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 10, 10:57 am   #13

Cheapest Option in Funabashi

If you want to spend absolutely minimum, there is a place called "Sauna Mon Chateau" in Funabashi, which takes approx. 50 min by Keisei Line and cost 750 yen. It is kind of men-only low-end spa filled with middle-low-class businessman. The top two floor has those capsule rooms, which is included in the price and available 24 hours. It is rather a weird place and some may find it offensive.

The cost of stay is 1,100 plus 1,200 for overnight stay (until 12 noon) +5%tax . It is a 3 minutes walk from Keisei or JR Funabashi station. Go along the north side of JR line toward Narita and you find a big red sign, which is also visible from trains from NRT.

There is also "capsule hotel" in Funabashi which costs 3,600 yen, I was going there but saw the big sign from the train. Funabashi is a good place if you want to explore some Japanese culture and nightlife during a short, transit time, since there isn't much around Narita.

Japanese only but there is a like for a map in the page.
http://mon-chateau.sakura.ne.jp/

You do not have in-out priviledge, which means once you're checked-in, you are not allowed to go out until you check out. They do keep large suitscase etc. while you're inside the building. The left luggage in NRT is 500yen for backpack, so this might be an option. There is a restaurant inside which provide decent food (so I heard) but I didn't try because of people smoking heavily on the floor. The waiteless sit beside you and act like a hostess (so I heard later).
neest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 14, 10:22 pm   #14

To resurrect this thread, a capsule hotel just outside Narita T2 is opening in July:

http://ninehours.co.jp/en/narita/

Stays from Y3,900.
Old Apr 30, 14, 10:57 pm   #15
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks

Programs: Metro-North Rubbish, Keisei Skinflint, KCR Headphones, Transjakarta Platinum
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpatokal View Post
To resurrect this thread, a capsule hotel just outside Narita T2 is opening in July:

http://ninehours.co.jp/en/narita/

Stays from Y3,900.
That's a good tip, though for not much more - that is, if I have a few extra hours - downtown Narita has a couple of options for not much more, particularly if using one of the hotel shuttle buses.

Though, I'm generally chuffed when coming across English on a Japanese website (in this case, the link you listed above):
"Fragrance has adopted Tamanohadasekken of the 'fig.'"

That's part of the description after making a dummy booking.