Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Tokyo: Hyatt regency booked, switch to sheraton?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2016, 12:38 am
Original Poster

Quick dilemma. I already transferred UR to Hyatt and booked points + cash for 6 nights a few months ago. I do not have any status with Hyatt.

With the trip coming up, I was thinking...I have AMEX plat...therefore status with SPG, in addition to an SPG card. Now they have the triple play promotion. Should I...

Keep my booking with Hyatt Regency in Tokyo and just deal with it being "done."

Or...

Cancel my booking. Get refunded cash and 36k Hyatt points to keep for some future redemption. Book 5 nights for 10k per night, 5th night free (aka, 40k points), and book the last night cash...say, $250...6x + 2x = 2000 spg points + 1000 for Sunday night = 3000...points back which means 6 nights for $250 and 37k points. (Math right?)

Or...

Cancel Hyatt booking...36k Hyatt points parked. Pay cash + points for the 6 nights. $75x6 = $450 + 30k points, and get back 900 points from the CC. Wait...this isn't even worth it.

So which do you recommend? Is the extra status worth the hassle? And is it worth parking the Hyatt points for a future redemption?
Old May 15, 2016, 5:05 pm

I'm not knowledgeable with regards to AmEx or SPG. So I don't know what status you have or what that gives you at Sheraton Miyako.

Strictly comparing HR vs Sheraton Miyako, I definitely favor HR in terms of quality and location. Mind you, I have not stayed at the Miyako in a while.

I don't know how to compare 37k spg pts vs 36k Passport pts. However, strictly comparing $250 at Miyako vs $450 at HR, I would definitely pay $200 more total for a 6-night stay unless you get major perks at Miyako from your status.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:30 pm
Original Poster

Ah. My apologies. Amex platinum gives you gold status with SPG. So...that essentially means breakfast and wifi.
Old May 15, 2016, 10:59 pm

Okay, well free breakfast (buffet, I presume) is kind of a big deal. In that case, you'll have to weigh things yourself. Breakfast is a big deal to me, but maybe it's not as big a deal to you. But I presume you'll get an upgrade too at the Sheraton. All else being equal, though, HR is imo simply the superior choice in terms of location and quality.

What about Westin, though? Westin's location is better than Miyako imo and has good breakfast.
Old May 16, 2016, 12:09 am

Originally Posted by YummyRambutan
Ah. My apologies. Amex platinum gives you gold status with SPG. So...that essentially means breakfast and wifi.
I thought it was only platinum status that gave you breakfast at *wood hotels... Is it different for miyako?
Old May 16, 2016, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i prefer miyakao location, and i never got invited to breakfast as a gold. did i miss something?
Old May 16, 2016, 12:36 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by slawecki
i prefer miyakao location, and i never got invited to breakfast as a gold. did i miss something?
Nope, Gold is SPG's lowest elite level and it pretty much just gets you free internet, which darn near everyone else gives to everyone these days. It's fairly useless.
Old May 16, 2016, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

^^^Ah, thank you. I think I had it confused with another status.
Old May 16, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Nope, Gold is SPG's lowest elite level and it pretty much just gets you free internet, which darn near everyone else gives to everyone these days. It's fairly useless.
HR charges 300yen+tax a day for internet, per device (MAC address, whether WiFi or LAN). So I used my SIM card instead. lol.

http://tokyo.regency.hyatt.com/en/ho...et-access.html

HR used to have free, basic self-serve continental breakfast at their club level.
Old May 16, 2016, 4:43 pm
Original Poster

Yeah - I have T-mobile...I've been getting mixed reviews on the quality of the data that you get. Ultimately I just need a map and a working GPS signal. Outside of that we'll just look for the lines and follow our noses (for food).
Old May 16, 2016, 9:30 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by YummyRambutan
Yeah - I have T-mobile...I've been getting mixed reviews on the quality of the data that you get. Ultimately I just need a map and a working GPS signal. Outside of that we'll just look for the lines and follow our noses (for food).
The data included in the standard TMo plan is ok in Japan. Enough for maps, Hyperdia, checking email, and the like.
Old May 17, 2016, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Perfect - Thankyou all for your insight. It looks like I'm just going to "keep it simple" and stick with the Hyatt booking - seeing that we'll probably want to explore and eat out anyways. VERY happy to find that some "top" ramen and udon spots are <1 mile away from our hotel. Now...where to get breakfast.
Old May 25, 2016, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Does Amex Platinum still provide Hilton HHonors Gold status? That DOES provide breakfast. Sometimes HHonors Gold even gets you upgraded to use the executive lounge.

Then you could move across the street from Hyatt Regency to Hilton Tokyo, getting free breakfast whilst keeping basically the same location you had before.
Old May 25, 2016, 7:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'd pick the HR over the Sheraton (I don't like the Sheraton's location at all and it has absolutely no curb appeal), but there's a very nice Westin connected to a small upscale mall and subway station. Within Hyatt, the Andaz has many fans, but there are a few dissenters.

Note that only SPG Golds get lounge access or breakfast. For upgrades, Golds are only entitled to "enhanced" rooms meaning better rooms (view, higher floor, renovated, larger, etc.) within the category that was booked. You do get free internet and IIRC can take a drink instead of points as your welcome amenity in Japan.
Old May 25, 2016, 5:29 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Does Amex Platinum still provide Hilton HHonors Gold status? That DOES provide breakfast. Sometimes HHonors Gold even gets you upgraded to use the executive lounge.

Then you could move across the street from Hyatt Regency to Hilton Tokyo, getting free breakfast whilst keeping basically the same location you had before.
HH currently offers status match to Diamond for practically anyone. If you have an elite membership with any major program (even IHG Plat via the credit card) or marginal photoshop skills, you can match to HH Diamond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.