Wiki Posts
Search

MR/mini-trip - some questions

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2016, 4:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: status free since 2017
MR/mini-trip - some questions

Flying into NRT in couple of days for a MR and staying for couple of days (50hrs to be precise). But removing the immigration, airport travel and check-in time, it will probably be more like 1.5 day at most.

Been doing some reading on the interweb and here are the questions from a first timer visitor -

I am little worried about language barrier but I think, I'll survive. Been doing some reading on handy use of mobile wifi, N'EX vs limo bus, Yamanote line etc. Here are the questions...

1. I understand they have a complex network of train lines, buses, metros. And, getting a handle on local transportation is clutch to be comfortable.
Do they announce station names or I gotta count stops? Also, are the station names marked in English or Japanese only?

2. Given the economics of time and money, N'EX seems smarter choice. I am on a MR so clearly... traveling light. However just concerned little if I will be navigate myself to get on proper train line. Are these clearly marked? Otherwise I'll go with limo bus.

3. I am staying at Hyatt and am a non-elite. So, no lounge access. What's a good place to get some drinks and cheap bites. I'd like to get one good teppanyaki or sushi meal though (any suggestions). Any etiquette to be followed when dining out at a restaurant? Also, what can I do for not-so-expensive meals (in $10-20 range)?

Given the short duration of trip, I am not planning on going too far and just roam around the main districts near Shinjuku (staying at Hyatt Regency). I'll keep on reading the sub forum for more info but any useful bits for are appreciated. Thanks!
Old May 1, 2016, 10:16 am

1. You'll need to figure out the JR East and maybe the Toei train networks as well as the Tokyo Metro if you want to get around much as most Japanese do. Most station names are also announced in English (along with musical tones at JR East stops). English signage is usually clear and plentiful.

There are coded floor markings along the platform specific to N'EX which denote queuing and boarding lines for each car door. Clear infographics with English are found at all stations and on all train and metro cars, with digital boards alternately displaying English announcements on most. But if you find yourself in a crowded commuter during "crush" hours, it can get tricky to read the boards, or even the passing signs at some platforms. It might be a good idea at the start to count sequentially as well as to spot for encircled station numbers. Or better yet, run Google Maps when riding above ground as on most JR East trains.

Google Maps works wonders for all manner of Tokyo public transit. You can ride with more confidence once you've registered on free wi-fi networks or else purchased a wireless data-only plan. Note that N'EX trains offer free wi-fi internet onboard. JR East, Toei, and Tokyo Metro stations also provide free wi-fi upon registration. You can also rent pocket hotspots or buy prepaid data-only SIMs at airport stores and vending machines for more assurance and flexibility. Be aware that underground train/metro lines, stations and passageways, and even malls and food courts can throw off your phone's geolocation apps.

2. To get to JR Shinjuku Station by rail, buy the N'EX round trip ticket promo at JR East's NRT travel center. The nice limo bus conveniently runs direct to the Hyatt Regency, but its undiscounted one-way tickets can cost almost as much as the N'EX round trip. And riding the bus won't let you initially familiarize with major locations along the strategic Yamanote line.

You can ask about schedules at the same (or any other) JR East travel center, where they'll reserve you a seat on the particular N'EX bound for Shinjuku. Once you're past their turnstiles, you'll find there's only one platform serving all their trains. Pay attention to the departure time for the train you're booked on, N'EX cars are painted in a white/black/pink livery. Power outlets are located below each seat arm. Once you arrive at the Shinjuku N'EX platform, you might have to walk north to the end of the platform and through a further passageway to get to the station's central concourse. From there you'll head for the West Exit, all while following English signs along the way. The Hyatt Regency may be operating courtesy shuttles to/from Shinjuku station, it's a relatively easy walk otherwise.

If you're arriving before May 5, it'll still be Golden Week holidays. You shouldn't have many problems transiting around your area, but the major parks and other attractions may be very crowded.

3. You should go through the Tokyo forums for food and nightlife suggestions as I didn't frequent Shinjuku much. You'll surely find a wide range of Izakaya joints and chain restaurants like Ootoya and Tonkatsu Wako and fancier in and around the station and its shopping complexes. Look to the east around the connected Metro Shinjuku station, in the area behind the big Uniqlo Shinjuku East store. Try the great foodie halls at department stores like Takashimaya. If you can make it to the Harajuku or Meijijingu-mae Stations, down the main avenue there's reasonably-priced sushi at Heiroku across from Omotesando Hills mall.

For inexpensive yet filling, look for gyudon and curry chains like Matsuya or Yoshinoya or Coco Ichibanya, or ramen places like Ippudo or Ichiran. Or just pick up decent to-go meals and deserts at the 7-11 and Family Mart stores in your area. Ask for English menus as these areas see lots of tourists, or point to what you like. Tipping is almost always a no-no. When expecting change in cash, wait for the cashier to place it on some tray or bill first before picking it up. Speak softly and avoid voice calls on urban trains whenever possible.

Last edited by FlitBen; May 1, 2016 at 3:19 pm
Old May 1, 2016, 1:55 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for info in transportation. I have made couple of trips to HK and their english signage makes things very easy in subway travel. Very glad to hear its the same in Japan.

I will be there for 3-5 of next month so tail end of Golden week. As mentioned, since the time is little it will be mostly urban exploration during this trip. Even the fish market is closed during my visit

Do currency exchange booths give similar rate as bank arms in Japan? Generally, I just use my atm card for withdrawal which gives the best rate but that seems to be an issue in Japan.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
3. I am staying at Hyatt and am a non-elite. So, no lounge access. What's a good place to get some drinks and cheap bites. I'd like to get one good teppanyaki or sushi meal though (any suggestions). Any etiquette to be followed when dining out at a restaurant? Also, what can I do for not-so-expensive meals (in $10-20 range)?

Given the short duration of trip, I am not planning on going too far and just roam around the main districts near Shinjuku (staying at Hyatt Regency). I'll keep on reading the sub forum for more info but any useful bits for are appreciated. Thanks!
Finding things to eat will not be a problem in Shinjuku. The neighborhood is full of places to eat and drink. Just don't go into any place that has touts or that doesn't have either a window display of its food or a menu with prices posted outside. Going into a place that lacks such signage puts you at risk of a huge bill. If the food prices are displayed, the drinks will be affordable as well.

You will be pleasantly surprised at the prices if you stick to the less assuming restaurants. The language barrier shouldn't be a problem, because you can always point to what you want in the window display or on the picture menu.

Keep in mind that in the izakaya and other plebeian Japanese-style bars and restaurants, beer, sake, and whiskey are the most likely choices of drinks. For mixed drinks, you have to go to a hotel bar or clearly Western-style establishment.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:50 pm

Thanks for info in transportation. I have made couple of trips to HK and their english signage makes things very easy in subway travel. Very glad to hear its the same in Japan.

I will be there for 3-5 of next month so tail end of Golden week. As mentioned, since the time is little it will be mostly urban exploration during this trip. Even the fish market is closed during my visit
If you got around fine with Hong Kong's MTR, you'll find Tokyo's train and metro systems easy enough to access. The many lines do interconnect with greater complexity for more alternative choices in routing, so Google Maps and the Hyperdia site can be very useful for planning. The Tsukiji inner market is moving to another location this year anyway.

...Do currency exchange booths give similar rate as bank arms in Japan? Generally, I just use my atm card for withdrawal which gives the best rate but that seems to be an issue in Japan.
I've never used Japanese ATMs as I get good forex rates with my home bank. I remember some saying that those found at the many post offices or 7-11 stores reliably accept foreign cards. There are FTer regulars who would know more.
Old May 1, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
Post offices, 7-11, and the airport ATMs should all work with foreign ATMs. Outside of that, it's a roll of the dice.
Old May 1, 2016, 4:51 pm

Programs: UA
Here's a link to the Tokyo subway map. http://www.tokyometro.jp/en/subwayma...outemap_en.pdf

When riding subways, I use the three position station identifier. For example, if traveling from Shinjuku to Asakusa, I board the Maranouchi Line in Shinjuku (M09), get off in Ginza (M16), transfer to the Ginza Line (G09) and get off in Asakusa (G16). For me, that's easier than memorizing names of the intermediate stations.

I recall that the digital sign boards on the Narita Express displayed information in three languages. That was supplemented by announcements of upcoming stations in the same three languages.

Hope this helps a bit.
Old May 1, 2016, 6:26 pm

I am little worried about language barrier but I think, I'll survive.
Most Japanese people's English conversational ability is nearly non-existent. Nonetheless you will definitely survive and should manage to get to any places and order anything you want with maybe a bit of struggle at times.

Given the short duration of trip, I am not planning on going too far and just roam around the main districts near Shinjuku (staying at Hyatt Regency).
If that's the case, then maybe forget about spending too much time fretting about trains and such. It's not a bad option to just take the door-to-door limo bus to/from NRT, if the schedule works out and you don't mind spending a little more than you would for NRT Express. And just stay in Shinjuku. Shinjuku alone has enough things that would keep me occupied for days. Go to the massive shopping complex Times Sqr Takashimaya and also the adjoining Tokyu Hands (Times Sqr has everything, but Tokyu Hands may be ultimately where you buy stuff). Go to the massive Bic Camera btwn Hyatt and the station. Go to the top of Metro Bldg for a view of Tokyo. Check out the deli section at Isetan. Go to Shinjuku Gyoen if you're interested in garden. If you're into bootlegs, the area west of Seibu Shinjuku is your dream-come-true. Also a lot of acclaimed mom and pop ramen shops in that area. Go check out Kabukicho at night for its ambiance. There is great food everywhere in Shinjuku.

Originally Posted by FlitBen
If you got around fine with Hong Kong's MTR, you'll find Tokyo's train and metro systems easy enough to access.
I think a monkey gets around fine on MTR. Tokyo's train system is many times more complicated imo. Using Pasmo/Suica helps, but it's still complicated. Having said that, most visitors manage and I'd expect OP would too.

Do currency exchange booths give similar rate as bank arms in Japan? Generally, I just use my atm card for withdrawal which gives the best rate but that seems to be an issue in Japan.
I'm not sure. I generally avoid currency exchange booths. As others have said, just use either the 7-eleven ATM or postal service ATM. 7-eleven ATM's are at most 7-eleven's. Fortunately, there's a 7-eleven right at the bottom of Hyatt Regency! There're also 7-11 ATM's at arrivals concourse at NRT.
Old May 1, 2016, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

^^Thanks guys! Lots of great info. I'll remember it for this trip and the ones in future.

Does door-2-door limo take a nice route? Even though its little longer, it might a good way to see some urban landscape, no?
Old May 1, 2016, 8:21 pm

Programs: DL FO 1MM
PS every time I've priced out mobile wifi rental, I've ended up just getting a data sim for my cell phone instead. Here's the one I've used the last couple of times and been happy.

https://umobile.jp/d/lp/prepaid/eng.html
Old May 1, 2016, 8:26 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Kabukicho is the one area I would recommend avoiding. The touts are incredibly annoying at night and the area is overrun by Chinese tourists during the day. I live not too far away and have learned to keep to the south side of Yasukuni dori as much as possible.

If you want to go out and about in Tokyo, the most convenient line to the Hyatt Regency is the Toei Oedo Line (Tochomae Station, the station where the "loop" meets itself). This line runs direct to the fish market (Tsukiji-shijo) where you can get really amazing sushi -- check out the hole-in-the-wall restaurants on the northeast side. A number of them are open 24 hours, so you have sushi at the crack of dawn if you're jet lagged.
Old May 1, 2016, 10:54 pm

Does door-2-door limo take a nice route? Even though its little longer, it might a good way to see some urban landscape, no?
I don't know that scenery would really be a huge consideration for me in deciding btwn NRT Express (NEx) and Limo Bus. Depending on the traffic pattern and the location of your in-town destination/origin, it seems to me that the bus either goes along Wangan Expressway via Oi Jct or Rainbow Bridge, or inland via Hakozaki. I suppose the Wangan route offers a few advantages over NEx in that it offers a unique vantage point of Tokyo skyline and you pass by Odaiba and Tokyo Disney. But I can't tell you for sure that the bus to Shinjuku will take the Wangan route. NEx will give you many good looks at the Sky Tree if you sit on the northern side of the train, as well as stores/streets/house/people immediately along the track esp when the train slows down. But ultimately, the main consideration comes down to time, price difference, space (more width and leg room on NEx), door-to-door ease vs having to find your way through and then from Shinjuku Sta.

Originally Posted by joejones
Kabukicho is the one area I would recommend avoiding. The touts are incredibly annoying at night and the area is overrun by Chinese tourists during the day. I live not too far away and have learned to keep to the south side of Yasukuni dori as much as possible.
I know what you're saying, and maybe I shouldn't have recommended Kabukicho above. I only mentioned it as a suggestion to go check out the area for the sheer energy and the hustle and bustle there at night-time which is kind of unique. To me, it's an interesting area that I've taken people to but I do tend to avoid patronizing any businesses there. Mind you, it does seem to me that Kabukicho feels less dodgy lately than it did in the years past.
Old May 2, 2016, 8:11 am

Programs: pleb
^^Thanks guys! Lots of great info. I'll remember it for this trip and the ones in future.

Your time is already limited in Tokyo, why waste time stuck in traffic with the limo bus. Honestly there's not much more "urban landscape" you'll see with the limo bus unless driving at 40-50 mph on a freeway is your thing. Just take the N'ex. Significantly faster and guaranteed no delays.
Old May 2, 2016, 9:07 am

Programs: UA, NW
The Shinjuku area alone offers plenty of "urban landscape."

To give yourself an idea of the vastness of the Tokyo area, go to the Metropolitan Government Building's 45th floor observation deck. It's free, and on a rare clear day (really rare in the summer, less rare in the winter) you may be able to see Fuji, but at least you will see every conceivable type of urban landscape.
Old May 3, 2016, 3:54 am
Original Poster

I went for the limo bus (got to NRT this afternoon). Took about 1,5 hrs on the bus. No traffic.Definitely taking the N'EX on way back. Although Rainbow Bridge was pretty cool.

Where is the 7-11 atm near HR?

If I am looking at map correctly, metropolitan building is just on next block. Day visit or night visit - what is recommended?

I am guessing sushi is quite expensive here, yes? Any recommendation for one sushi and one teppanyaki meal? Ideally around 30-40 bucks without alcohol. I am not sure if that's too much or too little.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.