Reload this Page >

MR/mini-trip - some questions

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MR/mini-trip - some questions

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2016, 7:42 pm

Have never been there but the sign says tsurumaru udon (つるまる饂飩).
http://www.tsuru-maru.jp/
Old May 12, 2016, 2:13 am

Originally Posted by carsnoceans
The most interesting eats were at a Nagoya based chain called Yamachan. I met an old friend who has been based in Japan for sometime and according to him its a popular happy hour place. Although the seating setup was very Japanese (low table, cushions on floor), environment was very post-work/happy hour types. Food was unlike any Japanese food I have eaten in US. Not sure, if I would have picked it if I was just wandering by myself. Mostly because I would have not known what to order.

Then I ate some tempura at an udon place. Again, an amazing bargain! Bowl was ~600 yen and various tempura pieces were 100-150 yen each. Never had white chicken and squid fried in tempura batter and it was quite delicious!

Found Katsukura to be a little overrated. It was a good To nkatsu. But not worth $30+.
I'm going to try that Tsuru-maru the next time we're there. I really like udon with huge prawn heads and a run of tea afterwards. One of my favorites is fish tendon which I like to enjoy with a plebeian Coke. The drink also goes well with maguro sashimi.

Japanese recipes in mid-range US restaurants tend to be adjusted to suit American tastes, even the Yoshinoyas can taste bland. Things are generally better in Asian capitals where people are fanatic about their Japanese. For example, you can find ramen in the Singapore and Manila branches of Ippudo, Nagi, and Hanamaruken about as good as that back in Tokyo. Curry and tendon chains like Coco Ichibanya and Tenya prepare their specialties with similar homegrown quality.

I too have found big-name Tokyo places to be slightly overrated at times. Such as famous Maisen, their cutlets were indeed superb but weren't way beyond that of regular fry places like Tsukiji Shokuduo Genchan. As others have said, Tokyo restaurants usually offer good quality food for all budgets.

Last edited by FlitBen; May 12, 2016 at 10:48 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.