Wiki Posts
Search

What To Declare?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:13 pm
Original Poster

Question What To Declare?

Hello all,

Please forgive my ignorance. I am traveling solo to Tokyo(NRT) in this coming June. My greatest fear is something going terribly wrong when I'm getting ready to enter the country. I know the process(quarantine, immigration, then customs) but I am afraid that I'm not sure what I should declare. I have read many of the provided documents at http://www.customs.go.jp/english/index.htm but I find myself confused when it comes to the items that I should declare.

Besides clothes and other regular baggage items that will be in my checked baggage, I have many personal items that will be on my person at all times during my time in the airport. Mainly I have have camera equipment worth a net total of about $3000-$3500. Although I read the Japanese customs and declarations form, I am not fully understanding what is considered "duty-free" and what isn't. Among the mentioned camera equipment is:
1 Mirrorless camera
1 GoPro
1 camera bag
7 camera lenses
2 tripods
and several camera accessories(SD cards, batteries, etc.)

I read the customs declaration form's instructions stating that "Goods for personal use that were purchased abroad with a total market value not exceeding ¥200,000" was considered duty-free. However, just my lenses cost more than that.

That said, can anyone offer any insight on what I should be declaring? Is it everything in my carry-on(accessories included)? Is it just the things that make up the difference exceeding ¥200,000? Most importantly, will I owe any money? If so why?

Sorry for being so clueless, I just want to avoid a catastrophe by being properly informed. Never traveled to Japan before so I'm kinda getting psyched out over every little thing that I don't know.

Thanks in advance,

-KingK
Old Feb 10, 2016, 6:53 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by KingKazma
1 Mirrorless camera
1 GoPro
1 camera bag
7 camera lenses
2 tripods
and several camera accessories(SD cards, batteries, etc.)
Isn't it remarkably inconvenient to lug around so much gear for a vacation?

Anyway I've only visited Japan 4 times, but I've never ever bothered declaring anything (just ticked "no" to all the questions on the main side of the form) even with camera gear in excess of ¥200k when new. Haven't gotten into any problems so far. My reasoning being: The current market value of the gear thanks to old age is below the threshold, therefore no declaration needed :P

Disclaimer: Your Mileage May Vary.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 7:05 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Are you traveling to Japan on business or vacation? I asked because you will be carrying seven lenses. I am a photo enthusiast myself, have 35 mm film camera and done dark room work by myself. So I do not think anything unusual about carrying seven lenses on a trip.

If you are on a business and if you are a photographer, then I think there may be slightly bigger chance that at customs your items will be examined.

Regardless of the purpose of your trip, if you want to play it safe then bring receipts for camera equipment you will be carrying to Japan. Do you have receipts for insurance purpose? Receipts will prove that you have purchased items outside of Japan. Your stay at Japan is short, and taking all camera equipment with you when you leave Japan.

I say do not worry too much. 35 mm film camera I have did cost $2,000 - $3,000 total with lenses, flash, etc. I have carried those between the U.S. and Japan many times over past 20 or so years and never once I was asked to pay duty or show receipts. I have a dedicated silver stainless steel carry-on size suite case looking camera case, beside my carry-on bags to carry other personal items. May be once or twice I was asked what was in the stainless steel suite case, and opened to show the content. Never asked about the value and never asked about declaring at customs.

My feeling is if it is your personal items for personal use, then customs officers may not care. Movie and TV crews traveling for business to Japan will be carrying far more items with value far exceeding then that. I am not sure if those people were asked to pay duty every time they travel to Japan. My guess is they do not pay any duty.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. To answer a few of the questions asked, I am a photographer but I will not be going to Japan for work just leisure. As any other photographer would know, having the right glass in the right moment is critical. I'm a stickler for quality when it comes to my work The 7 lenses I plan to take are just a mere fraction of all the ones I own. So don't think I'm taking all my gear.

Regardless of the purpose of your trip, if you want to play it safe then bring receipts for camera equipment you will be carrying to Japan. Do you have receipts for insurance purpose? Receipts will prove that you have purchased items outside of Japan. Your stay at Japan is short, and taking all camera equipment with you when you leave Japan.
Some of the lenses were purchased online so the proof of purchase is easy there. As for the ones that I bought in a retail store, the receipts can be obtained fortunately. Never thought it would come to this though lol. If it did come to that, however, it would be simple for the customs officer to see the ¥200k+ price tag for all of my items

As said before, I'm trying to do everything the right way. I don't want to be that one guy that gets reprimanded for not following the rules. That would be such a horrible way to start my vacation.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, Hyatt - Platinum
I don't think you have to declare anything. You own the lenses. I assume that they're not brand new in boxes. I assume that you're bringing the to Japan and then bringing them back to wherever you live. I brought a laptop with me to Japan last month, but I never considered its value when I was filling out my customs form. Either you're overthinking things or I don't understand customs forms
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Way over thinking the customs to declare. As a photographer myself I couldn't imagine taking 7 lenses on Holiday. I can shoot all my jobs with 3.

I would be more worried about getting pulled aside with that much gear and then thinking you're actually there to work (make $/have jobs booked) and not on Holiday with so much gear.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Used items that you plan to take with you when you leave usually aren't a problem and their current market valuations can be 10% or less of their prices when new (for example, clothing).

For some countries, including Japan, the stuff that might worry me would be certain ingredients in medicine that's OTC here but possibly forbidden or considered to be a serious scheduled narcotic in some foreign countries. There was a case recently involving oxycontin in Japan, although some mid eastern countries and Australia are especially strict on this.

I agree that your gear might raise questions of needing some sort of a work visa.

Certain stuff might cause suspicion that you plan to sell it during your trip. Items of this sort would be new electronics and anything which is especially expensive in Japan, perhaps due to high duty rates or other protectionist policies. Multiple identical or similar items or things in the original packaging could be viewed as red flags.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 9:43 pm

I wouldn't worry, either. These are your personal things that you've had for a while and are taking back with you. Many folks wear expensive jewelry. You're not going to declare your wedding ring.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I have traveled to Japan many times, nearly always for photography, some freelance-paid and some not. I have never declared my gear but do take receipts for anything that "looks new." Of course, I have never taken 7 lenses and 2 full-sized tripods, which seems excessive but whatever floats your boat. My gear tends to be more along the lines of 2 mirrorless bodies, 2 pro zooms and 2 other lenses, 1 tripod and 1 RRS Pocket Pod. When traveling strictly for leisure, the big tripod and one of the bodies stay home. Everything except the tripod goes in a bag insert in a medium-small backpack along with laptop, electronics, other valuables, meds and miscellaneous stuff. The tripod goes in my roll-aboard carry-on bag. I've never had any of it questioned.
Old Feb 10, 2016, 11:03 pm
Original Poster

Again, thanks for the replies. As someone stated above perhaps I'm overthinking it. I welcome that view. Actually, to me that's good to hear. Whenever I do that nothing tends to happen anyway haha. Its kinda bad that I have the tendency to frequently do so, however.

Hopefully I don't get hit in the head with the whole 'I need a work visa' thing. That could get messy. Good thing is I have time on my side, for now. Just enough time to perhaps talk myself into taking less gear

Oh and just to clarify about the tripods, I'm not taking 2 full sized ones, just one full sized. The other is a small macro photography tripod(which I may actually use more). So yeah it isn't completely ridiculous to assume at this point that I actually may end up going with less gear, especially if it potentially saves me from a whole different beast of a problem. Looks like I've got some thinking to do. Thanks to this forum I've got great insider recommendations on where to go when I'm there. Looking forward to it alot
Old Feb 11, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: UA *G MM
You should think logically about the scenario for any country. Bringing camera equipment to Japan is "coals to Newcastle". This equipment is probably cheaper in Japan than anywhere else. Furthermore, for non-contraband goods then customs generally targets its own citizens who are trying to circumvent taxes and duties, and camera equipment would not even be on their radar since its relatively cheap in Japan and the only tax on such equipment in Japan is 8% sales tax.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 8:03 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
There are plenty of fanatical hobbyist photographers in Japan. I doubt that your seven lenses will raise an eyebrow. If you do face any questions, just stick to your true story - You're a professional photographer who happens to be visiting Japan as a tourist. You will not be doing any paid work. You enjoy photographing things. You aren't planning to leave any of your equipment in Japan. End of story. Don't deviate.
Old Feb 11, 2016, 11:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by gnaget
You should think logically about the scenario for any country. Bringing camera equipment to Japan is "coals to Newcastle". This equipment is probably cheaper in Japan than anywhere else.
Originally I thought exactly that. However, since I overthink things, I got kinda worried

Originally Posted by jib71
There are plenty of fanatical hobbyist photographers in Japan. I doubt that your seven lenses will raise an eyebrow. If you do face any questions, just stick to your true story - You're a professional photographer who happens to be visiting Japan as a tourist. You will not be doing any paid work. You enjoy photographing things. You aren't planning to leave any of your equipment in Japan. End of story. Don't deviate.
That's GG advice. I have nothing to hide anyways
Old Feb 11, 2016, 12:37 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
>> "Goods for personal use that were purchased abroad with a total market value not exceeding ¥200,000" was considered duty-free.

Only if you are leaving the stuff behind in Japan. Most countries (including Japan) allow you to bring reasonable amount of personal effects with you (with no specific value limit) when you enter the country duty free, as long as you take them with you when you leave.

If you are bringing a lot, they may suspect that you plan to work in the country, or you plan to sell/gift them away. It's up to you to prove your purpose of visit, and why you need that much equipment.

You can learn all these from watching those reality "border security" TV shows.

>> can anyone offer any insight on what I should be declaring?

Only stuff you plan to leave behind when you finish your trip.

In some countries, such as China, bringing that much equipment will be problematic because they think you are a journalist(big red flag) and you don't have the proper visa. In Japan they may or may not think you are going there to work.

Last edited by beep88; Feb 11, 2016 at 12:48 pm
Old Feb 12, 2016, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by jib71
To put that in a perspective that a photographer understands when I go to the F1 in Japan it's quite common to see the spectators using lenses like a 400 f2.8L. 7 lenses and a mirror less body is very much in the 'travel gear' domain.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.