Wiki Posts
Search

Need some advice on itinerary, family trip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 12:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United MileagePlus
Post Need some advice on itinerary, family trip

I am helping my parents plan a family trip for our family of 5 to Japan. We want to take advantage of Spring Break and plan to go March 13-21 (that includes flight days). We have a 12 year old with us, everyone else adult age.

Our plan is to fly into Tokyo and stay there til Thursday the 17th (~3 whole days) then head to Kyoto by bullet train on Friday the 18th. We would spend the weekend in Kyoto before heading back to Tokyo Monday the 21st to catch our evening flight home.

I would like some advice from experienced travelers though, since we've never been to Japan. I mostly have questions on transportation, but any advice or tips on must-sees is greatly appreciated.

We're flying into Narita and plan to take luggage, one piece per person.What's the best way to get to our hotel in Tokyo?Saw the NEX and bus options, but with luggage I don't know what's the best option.perhaps NEX To Tokyo station and then taxi to hotel?

Is the 7 day Rail Pass worth it?
We would use it for the Tokyo-Kyoto round trip mainly. We are considering going to Mt. Fuji on one of the Tokyo days. I know we could use it on NEX, but I'm scared that if we activate it on Monday the 14th it'll expire before we can use it for our trip back to Tokyo the next Monday, the 21st.

Is Mt. Fuji worth it? Or are there better things to see?

Are the green cars good for taking luggage?I know it might be a pain so I'm trying to make it as easy as possible to travel with our luggage.

What are absolute must-sees you recommend?

I appreciate any advice or suggestions. Total noob to Japan here so I don't know what the travel environment is like. I'm excited though and can't wait to get there!
Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:35 pm

NRT to Tokyo: If you've got luggage and your hotel is served by Limousine Bus and the timing works out with your arrival, then to me it's almost a no-brainer to take the Limo Bus rather than the train to the hotel. In any case, it seems like you absolutely need to make the 21st (when you go from Kyoto to Narita) your last day of the 7-day JR pass, so you'll want to validate your 7-day JR Pass voucher on the 15th. So you really will not be able to use it on Mar 14th.

Imo, a dedicated trip just to go to the foot of Mt.Fuji's not worth squeezing into a fairly tight schedule like yours. On the other hand, you could make it more worth it by combining Mt.Fuji with something else. For example, take a trip to Hakone... on a clear day, you'll have a gorgeous fairly up-close view of Mt.Fuji from certain vantage points in Hakone. You could consider a lunch/onsen package at Hotel Green Plaza... hot spring while enjoying the view of Mt.Fuji followed by lunch buffet. They also have convenient guided bus day tours from Tokyo that include both Fuji and Hakone. Depending on the weather, you might be able to get a good view of Fuji from the right side of the bullet train while passing through Shizuoka on the way to Kyoto.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 9:09 pm

Agreed on the limo bus option to the hotel in Tokyo, especially if you have luggage.

The JR Pass is usually a good deal, and if I remember correctly, the price for a 7 day pass is already cheaper than a round trip ticket from Tokyo to Kyoto. You can also use the pass on JR trains in the city (e.g. Yamanote line).

I am of the opinion that Mt. Fuji looks better from a distance than up close, especially when there is no snow. It's a volcanic mountain, so there isn't much vegetation on the mountain itself. Probably better, as suggested above, to go somewhere with a nice view from a distance. The five lakes are a popular place to see Mt. Fuji, as is Hakone. But being able to see it well depends a lot on the weather.

You should be fine with the luggage in green cars. Ordinary cars are a bit crowded, but there should be enough room in green cars either in the overhead spaces for smaller bags, or just by your legs. The last seats usually have a space behind them that can take a lot of luggage so that might be an option as well.
Old Feb 2, 2016, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No idea why it wasn't mentioned earlier but an important part of Hakone is currently closed to visitors.

Owakudani is out of bounds and so is a critical trajectory of the ropeway. This makes the trip to Ubako (where the Green Plaza is) into a long circuitous bus trip rather than the short, exciting rope way excursion with marvellous views that previous visitors will have enjoyed. If you do decide to go to the Green Plaza remember: males and females are segregated for bathing (females get the best view of Fuji San), be aware of the times set aside for hotel visitors vs guests, check to ensure that the onsen are operating as standard and not undergoing cleaning/maintenance on the day of your visit.

Without knowing your hotel in Tokyo nobody is going to give you the absolute best solution for getting there. Figure out where you're going and feel free to ask again.

As a "must see" with a 12 year old I would recommend Nara. I imagine that the Studio Ghibli Museum is already in your list. If you want to stay in the kind of farmhouse featured in Tottoro, there's Hattoji villa in Okayama http://www.international-villa.or.jp...illa-line.html
Less of a commitment is a wonderful collection of farm houses, the Nihon Minka En, in the outskirts of Tokyo. This is one of my very favourite places in Japan. My own daughter also loves it here.

As you are looking to minimise the pain of hauling luggage across the country, rather than stumping up for the green car, consider using the takkyubin service instead.
For a modest amount, your hotel in Tokyo will send luggage to your hotel in Kyoto/Osaka or even directly to the airport (your Kyoto hotel will also happily send on luggage too). If you send the bulk of your luggage the evening before you leave Tokyo, it will be waiting for you in Kyoto. Your hotel concierge will be intimately familiar with the details and can arrange everything for you.
This service (and its economic price) is one of the main reasons you generally don't see a great deal of suitcases in the bullet train luggage racks.

Last edited by LapLap; Feb 2, 2016 at 10:32 pm
Old Feb 3, 2016, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Interesting, I might have to consider that luggage delivery service if it's not too pricey.
We're staying at the Royal Park Hotel The Shiodome. From what I saw it's not in a bad location and close to transportation. Never realized just how far Narita airport is from Tokyo, almost 2 hours by bus according to the limousine bus website!

Thanks for the heads up on Fuji. Hakone sounds like an interesting place to go for a daytrip and back to Tokyo in the evening.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA, NW
The Royal Park Shiodome is on the Airport Limousine Bus route, so that's the best option, as long as you can board by around 6:45PM--it depends on when your flight arrives.

Otherwise, take the N'EX to Tokyo Station and a cab to the hotel.

You're within easy walking distance of two subway lines and the JR Yamanote Line, which circles the central city.

As for what to see, that's up to you. Buy one of the three or four city guidebooks to Tokyo that are available in any large bookstore. (There are also city guidebooks for Kyoto.)

I, too, recommend sending your luggage to your Kyoto hotel. Just take a carry-on or daypack for one day's change of clothing. The price for each bag will be about 2000, which is a lot cheaper than the difference between the green car and the ordinary car.

The green car isn't worth it unless you're traveling during a really busy period. Unlike first class in some other countries, you don't get any food or beverages included in the price of your ticket, just a slightly larger seat.

I have been traveling to Japan for nearly 40 years, and I have never climbed Mount Fuji. If you go in March, you are 50% likely to see it from Tokyo, especially if you go to the 45th floor observatory at the Metropolitan Government building near Tocho-ma station.

The beach at Kamakura is another good place to see it, as is the Shinkansen route between Tokyo and Kyoto. Sit on the north (right) side of the train, and if it's visible, you will see it somewhere between Atami and Shizuoka.

If you go during the summer, you are highly unlikely to see it at all, even, as once happened to me, you are only 10 miles away. December through February are the best times to catch sight of the mountain.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 7:09 pm

Originally Posted by LapLap
No idea why it wasn't mentioned earlier but an important part of Hakone is currently closed to visitors.

Owakudani is out of bounds and so is a critical trajectory of the ropeway. This makes the trip to Ubako (where the Green Plaza is) into a long circuitous bus trip rather than the short, exciting rope way excursion with marvellous views that previous visitors will have enjoyed. If you do decide to go to the Green Plaza remember: males and females are segregated for bathing (females get the best view of Fuji San), be aware of the times set aside for hotel visitors vs guests, check to ensure that the onsen are operating as standard and not undergoing cleaning/maintenance on the day of your visit.
Owakudani is closed and the ropeway is partially closed, but Green Plaza is easily accessible. In fact, most of Hakone should be business as usual. They're running bus service to cover the portion where the ropeway is closed. You can just take that bus from Sounzan to Ubako. It's not a long circuitous detour. You probably have to wait a bit for the bus, but I can tell you that driving from Sounzan to Green Plaza is hell of a lot faster than taking the ropeway (we usually drive anyways).

I just checked their website. Good call on the limited day-use hours. The day use hours at their onsen are 3p-6p (shorter than what I remember... they may have changed that), and they close on 1st & 3rd Thu of each month. It also appears that lunch is now either curry or pasta only (no more buffet). You can see Mt.Fuji from men's onsen. When we first started going, you couldn't. But they changed their setup 5-10yrs ago, and now you can see it from men's onsen. You can really see Fuji well from the hotel's inner garden.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's rare to get to Hakone on a day when mt Fuji is completely visible. Rarer still for a view of the volcano to remain visible (on a day when it is) past 12noon. You'll need to be REALLY lucky to see it between 3pm and 6pm, it's definitely not something I would ever count on.

The "long circuitous bus route" is shown here:
http://www.hakonenavi.jp/topics/pdf/4730.pdf
Climbing mountains in buses leaves me feeling nauseous (used to be worse when I was a child), my personal prejudice is on display here.
The ropeway between Souzan and Ubako was slow, yes, but it was slow and scenic; an memorable attraction in itself.

Man, I hate Japanese curry*. And it's the speciality food of the Hakone area. I can just about deal with the pervasive aroma (it does stink out a dining hall) at the best of times, but after a winding bus trip... :urk:

*it sums up the very worst aspects of everyday British cuisine in the 1970s
Old Feb 4, 2016, 1:02 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... Man, I hate Japanese curry*. ...
What?? Sacrilege!

Kare raisu is my second favorite cheap diner lunch. Just behind katsudon and just ahead of omu raisu.

Of course my tastes are hardly epicurean.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I know, I know
And I do feel guilty that I'm denying my kid an intrinsic part of her cultural heritage but... Ugh!
I make Kurīmu Shichū (Cream Stew - no need for a shop bought roux) instead, and that fills the family's vacant kare raisu niche; particularly as we each add spicy yuzu koshō to taste.

I blame the Fujiya for the Hakone Curry Rice link.
Old Feb 4, 2016, 4:44 am

It's rare to get to Hakone on a day when mt Fuji is completely visible. Rarer still for a view of the volcano to remain visible (on a day when it is) past 12noon. You'll need to be REALLY lucky to see it between 3pm and 6pm, it's definitely not something I would ever count on.
I wouldn't say it's rare to be able to see Mt.Fiji from Hakone. It really depends a lot on the time of the year. Chances are excellent in the winter time, lot poorer in the summer. We've stayed at Green Plaza probably close to 10 times over the years, and we've been extremely lucky. I'm not sure that there's been a single stay where we couldn't see Fuji at all from the hotel. Then again, most of our visits have been in colder months. I just looked at our photos from the last 3 stays there (including a stay in Aug) and there's a picture of Mt.Fuji in the afternoon from the hotel on every one of those stays. Anyways yes it is a bit of a crap shoot, and that's another reason why I think the OP should stay away from doing a day trip where Mt.Fuji is the sole agenda. With Hakone, at least he/she gets to ride the mountain trains, check out the Open Air Museum, do onsen, etc.

Man, I hate Japanese curry*.
I blame the Fujiya for the Hakone Curry Rice link.
Well we all have different taste buds, but curry is almost up there with ramen as far as quintessential Jpn food, so.... Fujiya curry is to die for. Don't know how else to describe it other than to say the taste is multi-dimensional. If you go to Fujiya in Kofu, their buffet restaurant includes all you can eat Fujiya hotel curry. I get at least 3 servings each time.
Old Feb 5, 2016, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness
The Royal Park Shiodome is on the Airport Limousine Bus route, so that's the best option, as long as you can board by around 6:45PM--it depends on when your flight arrives.

Otherwise, take the N'EX to Tokyo Station and a cab to the hotel.

You're within easy walking distance of two subway lines and the JR Yamanote Line, which circles the central city.

As for what to see, that's up to you. Buy one of the three or four city guidebooks to Tokyo that are available in any large bookstore. (There are also city guidebooks for Kyoto.)

I, too, recommend sending your luggage to your Kyoto hotel. Just take a carry-on or daypack for one day's change of clothing. The price for each bag will be about 2000, which is a lot cheaper than the difference between the green car and the ordinary car.

The green car isn't worth it unless you're traveling during a really busy period. Unlike first class in some other countries, you don't get any food or beverages included in the price of your ticket, just a slightly larger seat.

I have been traveling to Japan for nearly 40 years, and I have never climbed Mount Fuji. If you go in March, you are 50% likely to see it from Tokyo, especially if you go to the 45th floor observatory at the Metropolitan Government building near Tocho-ma station.

The beach at Kamakura is another good place to see it, as is the Shinkansen route between Tokyo and Kyoto. Sit on the north (right) side of the train, and if it's visible, you will see it somewhere between Atami and Shizuoka.

If you go during the summer, you are highly unlikely to see it at all, even, as once happened to me, you are only 10 miles away. December through February are the best times to catch sight of the mountain.
Thanks for the heads up. The bus option looks attractive in that I won't have to haul luggage around and can get right into my hotel. My flight gets there at 3:50 on Monday the 14th so we should be able to catch the bus.

I'm kind of doubting if we should go to Fuji. I was reading up on Nara and that seems much nicer for a day trip from Kyoto and back. May still consider Hakone though.

I forgot to ask this before, but is the "pocket wi-fi" worth getting? The Japan-rail-pass.com website rents it for 5 days and I wouldn't mind that seeing as wi-fi access is apparently spotty in Japan.

Without knowing your hotel in Tokyo nobody is going to give you the absolute best solution for getting there. Figure out where you're going and feel free to ask again.

As a "must see" with a 12 year old I would recommend Nara. I imagine that the Studio Ghibli Museum is already in your list. If you want to stay in the kind of farmhouse featured in Tottoro, there's Hattoji villa in Okayama http://www.international-villa.or.jp...illa-line.html
Less of a commitment is a wonderful collection of farm houses, the Nihon Minka En, in the outskirts of Tokyo. This is one of my very favourite places in Japan. My own daughter also loves it here.

As you are looking to minimise the pain of hauling luggage across the country, rather than stumping up for the green car, consider using the takkyubin service instead.
For a modest amount, your hotel in Tokyo will send luggage to your hotel in Kyoto/Osaka or even directly to the airport (your Kyoto hotel will also happily send on luggage too). If you send the bulk of your luggage the evening before you leave Tokyo, it will be waiting for you in Kyoto. Your hotel concierge will be intimately familiar with the details and can arrange everything for you.
This service (and its economic price) is one of the main reasons you generally don't see a great deal of suitcases in the bullet train luggage racks
Is there a website or something for this service? My only concern is for the trip back to the airport and if they can get it there in time. We would send it on Sunday so I don't know if they work that day.

Last edited by armagebedar; Feb 6, 2016 at 3:40 pm Reason: merged subsequent posts by same poster
Old Feb 7, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: UA, NW
Is there a website or something for this service? My only concern is for the trip back to the airport and if they can get it there in time. We would send it on Sunday so I don't know if they work that day.

No need for a website. Any hotel can arrange this, and reservations are unnecessary.

It would be helpful to the hotel staff, however, if you could print out the Japanese-language web page of your Kyoto hotel, so that they can copy its address correctly in Japanese script. (Place names are especially likely to be spelled with odd combinations of kanji.)

On my 2013 trip, I somehow managed to arrive on a day when all the affordable hotels in Tokyo were full, so I spent the first night in the town of Narita. It was a Sunday morning when I made the trip into Tokyo for the beginning of a 12-day stay, and the hotel had no trouble shipping my luggage.

Government offices and services (e.g. the post office), banks, corporate offices, and schools are closed on Sundays, but stores, restaurants, and other commercial and retail service outlets, as well as museums, operate as usual. Sunday is a major shopping and excursion day in Japan.
Old Feb 14, 2016, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ksandness

No need for a website. Any hotel can arrange this, and reservations are unnecessary.

It would be helpful to the hotel staff, however, if you could print out the Japanese-language web page of your Kyoto hotel, so that they can copy its address correctly in Japanese script. (Place names are especially likely to be spelled with odd combinations of kanji.)

On my 2013 trip, I somehow managed to arrive on a day when all the affordable hotels in Tokyo were full, so I spent the first night in the town of Narita. It was a Sunday morning when I made the trip into Tokyo for the beginning of a 12-day stay, and the hotel had no trouble shipping my luggage.

Government offices and services (e.g. the post office), banks, corporate offices, and schools are closed on Sundays, but stores, restaurants, and other commercial and retail service outlets, as well as museums, operate as usual. Sunday is a major shopping and excursion day in Japan.
Good point on the printouts! I'm also guessing since it's the weekend Kyoto will be quite busy as well. When we booked the hotel a large percentage were already fully booked around the area.
Old Feb 15, 2016, 2:34 am

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by TotoroDude
I forgot to ask this before, but is the "pocket wi-fi" worth getting?.
For me, I always rent a pocket wifi (globaladvancedcomm is my default) for Japan. It is "worth it" for me to have internet to look up hyperdia, use google maps for walking directions, whatsapp on the train, etc etc.

Different strokes for different folks, of course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.