Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

I've been to Narita 100 times, but never entered Japan.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2014, 12:56 pm
Original Poster

When I connect at Narita next week, it will mark the 100th time time I've
been to Narita. However, I have never been entered Japan(cleared passport
control and physically enter Japan). I don't know why, it just never happened.
All my connections at Narita ranged from as short as 1 hour 10 minutes to
6 hours+. Always just hanging around the airline lounges or the airport shops.

One of these days, I must enter and see what Japan is like.

It should actually be few more than 100 times, but I can only document 99
at this point.(actual boarding passes saved or entries in my Google calendar)

When people ask me if I've been to Japan, I don't really know how to answer
the question.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 1:52 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by A_Reed
One of these days, I must enter and see what Japan is like.
I agree. Assuming you're not traveling on a passport that makes it difficult to enter the country, you should definitely venture beyond the sterile transit route next time you have more than a couple of hours to spare at the airport.

2-4 Hours - Go visit the landside shops and restaurants at the airport
4-6 Hours - Make a trip to Narita City
6+ Hours - Visit Tokyo
Old Oct 19, 2014, 2:24 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
... One of these days, I must enter and see what Japan is like. ...
When people ask me if I've been to Japan, I don't really know how to answer
the question.
The answer to your last question is no, you haven't been to Japan.

As for the rest, it really depends on what passport you travel on. There are a number are on the visa waiver program and do not require a separate visa to enter as a tourist.

If you meet the requirements to enter on a tourist visa, I agree that you really should at least look at the country. Jib71 has listed a few alternatives and I pretty much agree except that I would set the time to go all the way into Tokyo at 7+ hours rather than 6+. Even if you don't, the little town of Narita is a short train ride from NRT and can be very easily visited and enjoyed in only a few hours. Withdraw a few yen from an ATM, go down to the train station in the basement, get a ticket to Narita-shi (Narita town) and catch that train. Just outside the station in Narita is a nice shopping street for strolling, souvenirs and a meal. There is a very nice temple to visit along the same street. With a 4 or 5 hour layover, you could have a nice meal, see "Japan" and bring home some very nice pictures.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Sounds like me an Detroit. I've been to DTW probably close to 1000 times, but never into the city. But with Detroit, there's an excuse. For Tokyo, you should definitely visit..... great city.
Old Oct 19, 2014, 8:35 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
... But with Detroit, there's an excuse...
Like, its Detroit?
Old Oct 20, 2014, 3:55 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Like, its Detroit?
Exactly!
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:29 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
I'm the same way with IST and SAW
Old Oct 20, 2014, 5:40 am

Originally Posted by NYTA
I'm the same way with IST and SAW
Sheesh - Istanbul is another city that's too good to miss IMHO.
Something about "nobody dies complaining about not spending enough time in the transit lounge" comes to mind. Although, among flyertalkers, that's probably not true.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

III've beeen to Touuukyouuu, but I've... never been to me.
Old Oct 21, 2014, 9:01 pm

Programs: AA PPRO, Hyatt Globalist
There's a number of flight attendants and pilots who have stayed overnight in Narita 500+ times and have never once been into Tokyo itself. They're missing out!

Go to the actual city sometime, it's nice.

Last edited by Kaix; Oct 21, 2014 at 9:06 pm Reason: sp
Old Oct 22, 2014, 6:38 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Flight attendants and pilots can be in different situations. First, they are actually working during the flight, once at the destination many of them want to do is rest.

I had a conversation with a flight attendant on AA’s NRT flight once. She said that at her company there is a survey asking flight attendants and pilots regarding lodging at the destinations. She said most of flight attendants and pilots she know prefer hotels right near the airport rather than hotels in the city near the action. After the long flight most flight crews do not want to sit in a bus for an hour and half for a ride into the city.

The flight attendant said that golden age of Pan Am is long gone history, where flight crews enjoyed four days stay at Rome at five star hotels. Today, many airlines have daily flights into NRT, including AA, and their schedule is pretty much arriving at NRT in the afternoon and a flight back on the next day. Pretty much majority of the time is spent on rest for flight crews.

However, at Narita Jet Lag Club Narita is known for the place frequented by flight crews overnighting at Narita. Looks like Jet Lag Club Narita has grown into a business beyond Narita. Another place frequented by flight crews at Narita is The Barge Inn. I read somewhere that both Jet Lag Club Narita and The Barge Inn were founded by an ex-airline employee.
Old Oct 22, 2014, 9:12 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
Flight attendants and pilots can be in different situations. First, they are actually working during the flight, once at the destination many of them want to do is rest.

I had a conversation with a flight attendant on AA’s NRT flight once. She said that at her company there is a survey asking flight attendants and pilots regarding lodging at the destinations. She said most of flight attendants and pilots she know prefer hotels right near the airport rather than hotels in the city near the action. After the long flight most flight crews do not want to sit in a bus for an hour and half for a ride into the city.

The flight attendant said that golden age of Pan Am is long gone history, where flight crews enjoyed four days stay at Rome at five star hotels. Today, many airlines have daily flights into NRT, including AA, and their schedule is pretty much arriving at NRT in the afternoon and a flight back on the next day. Pretty much majority of the time is spent on rest for flight crews.

However, at Narita Jet Lag Club Narita is known for the place frequented by flight crews overnighting at Narita. Looks like Jet Lag Club Narita has grown into a business beyond Narita. Another place frequented by flight crews at Narita is The Barge Inn. I read somewhere that both Jet Lag Club Narita and The Barge Inn were founded by an ex-airline employee.
Funny you should bring that up. A pilot for one of the major European
airlines is planning to become the 3rd person to make unauthorized
(come to think of it, do they even give authorizations at all?) base jump
from Tokyo Skytree.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 7:43 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Funny you should bring that up. A pilot for one of the major European
airlines is planning to become the 3rd person to make unauthorized
(come to think of it, do they even give authorizations at all?) base jump
from Tokyo Skytree.
I wasn't aware anyone had made a successful (or unsuccessful) BASE jump from there yet.
Old Oct 26, 2014, 9:47 pm

Originally Posted by armagebedar
I wasn't aware anyone had made a successful (or unsuccessful) BASE jump from there yet.
Either way, if he tries it I hope the idiot is arrested and gets to experience the Metro PD's hospitality.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 1:25 am

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Either way, if he tries it I hope the idiot is arrested and gets to experience the Metro PD's hospitality.
If it's an unsuccessful base jump, I think being arrested may be the least of his/her worries

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.