Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Kanda Yabu Soba burnt down (now rebuilt and open)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Kanda Yabu Soba burnt down (now rebuilt and open)

Search this Thread

Old May 6, 2013, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Unhappy Kanda Yabu Soba burnt down (now rebuilt and open)

I'm a bit late with this as it happened in late February but !!!

This was a pretty special place. Whilst it is not my favourite for soba it is where, through its celebrated broth, that I first started to understand the differences between the food from Tokyo and that from regions such as Kansai.

I understand that Yabu Soba are in the process of rebuilding and I wish them every success, it would be awful for Tokyo to completely lose this institution.
Old May 6, 2013, 4:22 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
First went there New Year's Eve 35 years ago.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Rebuilt and open again.

https://twitter.com/chikaspica/statu...037868032?s=09

The owner didn't build a high rise building. He said they want to keep running soba business for coming 50 then 100 years.^
Old Oct 20, 2014, 11:36 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
If it burns down, rebuild it in the same style; who cares? Good enough for 金閣寺, good enough for やぶそば.
Old Oct 20, 2014, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NickW
If it burns down, rebuild it in the same style; who cares? Good enough for 金閣寺, good enough for やぶそば.
I care.
Is it good enough for Kinkakuji? Really? I've never been inside so cannot comment. As nice as Kanda Yabu Soba was from the outside, this wasn't the point to people's visits.
I have been inside Osaka and Aizuwakamatsu Castles, both recreations. Compared to Matsumoto or Himeji castles they seemed sterile and soulless.
Old Oct 27, 2014, 7:51 am

Originally Posted by O Sora
Rebuilt and open again.

https://twitter.com/chikaspica/statu...037868032?s=09

The owner didn't build a high rise building. He said they want to keep running soba business for coming 50 then 100 years.^
Wow that looks nice. Next time I go to Tokyo, I must remember to go there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.