Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 18, 2019, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: armagebedar
This thread is about where to find whiskey in Japan. Extended discussion about where to find Japanese whiskey elsewhere is off topic and will be removed.

Per FlyerTalk rule 10, nothing may be bought, sold, or traded on this forum:

FlyerTalk is not a marketplace and nothing may be offered for sale or barter. The exception to this rule is those items in the Coupon Connection (C.C.) Forum, which is governed by specific posting rules, and access to which is granted once you have achieved 180 posts and 180 days as a member.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated "Buy Whiskey in Japan" thread (was: Haneda/Narita Duty Free Whiskey)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2015, 4:07 am

Found Hibiki 12 year old at Takishimaya in Shinjuku for 6450 if anyone is interested.

Hunting around for 17 or 21 year old. The wine shop opposite the university at Yoyogi also has Hibiki 12
Old Aug 23, 2015, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by williemaykit
Found Hibiki 12 year old at Takishimaya in Shinjuku for 6450 if anyone is interested.

Hunting around for 17 or 21 year old. The wine shop opposite the university at Yoyogi also has Hibiki 12
When I was in Takashimaya a couple of weeks ago, it was nothing but nothing, except for the Mars Cosmo and their exclusive Sunny 20 year old, which is an off brand made in Toyama, by a distillery known more for Sake than Whisky (read the reviews, didn't sound appealing). It was selling for 5,000 yen for the 300ml and 12,000 yen for the 700ml. The Mars Cosmo was about 4,500 yen and seemed to be selling everywhere in Japan.

Sad thing is, last November, I was in Tokyo right after Yamazaki Sherry 2013 won the Whisky of the Year, and Takashimaya Shinjuku had a Yamazaki 25 for sale for 99,000 yen (about $800 at that time). I could have got it tax free and an extra 5% off with the Hello Kitty Takashimaya discount card (BTW did you pick up one at the tax counter before you purchased yours - they still give them out). I decided to pass, thinking there may be another opportunity. Stupid me. Now that bottle sells between $2,500 and $3,000.
Old Aug 24, 2015, 3:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jigen666

Sad thing is, last November, I was in Tokyo right after Yamazaki Sherry 2013 won the Whisky of the Year, and Takashimaya Shinjuku had a Yamazaki 25 for sale for 99,000 yen (about $800 at that time). I could have got it tax free and an extra 5% off with the Hello Kitty Takashimaya discount card (BTW did you pick up one at the tax counter before you purchased yours - they still give them out). I decided to pass, thinking there may be another opportunity. Stupid me. Now that bottle sells between $2,500 and $3,000.
I've been there. That's why I always buy it first and think about the cost later. A lesson for next time!
Old Aug 27, 2015, 4:47 pm

Programs: UA MM, SQ KrisFlyer, SPG/Marriott Titanium
Kavalan Solist Vinho Barrique

Has anyone seen this at Japan/Singapore/HK DFS?

This is the brand that won the World Whiskies Award for best single malt. And it's from the ROC!
Old Aug 28, 2015, 9:37 pm
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by abraxis

This is the brand that won the World Whiskies Award for best single malt. And it's from the ROC!
I haven't seen any Kavalan products at NRT's duty free shops. I did pick up a bottle of that exact whisky from Ace Spirits online (I think they're in Denver?), for about $150, which given the hype for it I figured was a good deal. After all, finding 2013 Suntory 12 Sherry Cask for under $2k is tough!

No, I haven't opened it... it's on my whisky shelves next to a Karuizawa 15 and an Ichiro's On the Way which likewise haven't been opened yet.

Speaking of Kavalan, I've a bottle of their Concertmaster Port Finish which is very comparable IMHO to a Karuizawa Asama. I think I paid around $70 for it, from some online shop in the US when I was ordering several other whiskys.
Old Aug 29, 2015, 11:14 am

Programs: FT

Not at any of them. Lots at TPE though. I picked up the sherry cask one instead as I preferred it. Smoking cheap though. Did get two free 50mls of the one that won though as a bonus.
Old Sep 1, 2015, 7:01 am

Programs: IHG Gold
I saw on NHK a news item today saying that Asahi announced they are going to increase the price of their whisky 10-40% across the board. I assume the cheap ones go up 10% and the premium ones go up more.

This was followed by a short story about the booming prices and demand for Japanese whisky in Asia. They talked about a fad for Japanese whisky bars in Hong Kong and the fact that so-called investors are bidding up prices on J whisky....basically in lieu of investing in the Chinese stock market they have decided whisky is where it's at. Classic bubble on prices. One bottle (The Cockerel, 52 years old sold) for US$97,000. A full set of Ichiro whisky (the playing card set of 52 bottles) went for $US400,000

Sound like the days of relatively low prices for top quality J whisky are now a thing of the past.

Also found this article claiming demand in Japan is also rising, partially due to some TV show

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/201.../#.VeWfjCVVhHw
Old Sep 11, 2015, 1:49 am

Programs: UA 1MM for a while now, AS for a minute, BAEC newly minted Gold
deleted

Last edited by cyborg; Jun 2, 2018 at 10:55 am Reason: Moving on from Flyertalk
Old Sep 15, 2015, 4:35 am

Programs: Krisflyer

Singapore DFS has the Kalavan Solist ex Bourbon and Sherry cask for about US$70-80 each. Unfortunately no Vinho Barrique.

Best place to get them all is TPE Taoyuan.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 11:15 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by SQ50
Singapore DFS has the Kalavan Solist ex Bourbon and Sherry cask for about US$70-80 each. Unfortunately no Vinho Barrique.

Best place to get them all is TPE Taoyuan.
when i was at TPE, the bottle i bought of Kalavan Solist Sherry cask was closer to 100 although if you take advantage of the 15% on BR, you could get it to the SIN Price. perhaps the SIN price is a promo with the recent opening of the new whiskey shop this past may?

either way, sorry, this is OT....but that is CHEAP for KV at SIN.
Old Sep 20, 2015, 2:30 pm

Programs: VS Gold, Hertz #1 Club Gold, SPG, IHC: Plat Ambasador
I just came back through NRT and wish I'd read this thread earlier. I had plans to buy several bottles of Hibiki 21 as I usually do, but at ¥50000 for a B.S. painted bottle, I had to pass.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by exerda
Picked up a Hibiki Harmony yesterday. Glad I have some 12 and 17 already, given the move to NAS... I do wonder how it will compare to say, the 12.
How'd the Harmony turn out exerda? They are selling it for ~$65 pre-tax at the ABC stores in the RDU area. Haven't decided if it is worth it.

Master of Malt is selling Hibiki 17 for $125 USD and Yoichi 10 for $88 (both pre-shipping with a 1 bottle limit on the 17) which is about the lowest I've seen either online (and for the Hibiki 17 not a huge mark-up over the reported cost at Mitsukoshi).

Moral of the story is I need to just find a way to get back to Tokyo (and not just NRT/HND on a layover) and pick up a couple bottles of things to put in a checked bag.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 5:46 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
How'd the Harmony turn out exerda? They are selling it for ~$65 pre-tax at the ABC stores in the RDU area. Haven't decided if it is worth it.
I need to put together a vertical and try the three side-by-side. I think I actually like the 12 the best, but it's been a while since I dared pour my 17 (although to be fair, I do have a bottle in reserve, too, so I shouldn't be so stingy with myself). I'll post a follow-up in the not-distant future.

Originally Posted by Duke787
Master of Malt is selling Hibiki 17 for $125 USD and Yoichi 10 for $88 (both pre-shipping with a 1 bottle limit on the 17) which is about the lowest I've seen either online (and for the Hibiki 17 not a huge mark-up over the reported cost at Mitsukoshi).
Those are good prices, IMHO. I paid a bit more for each of those last time I picked them up (probably around $135 and $90), and the online shop I got the Yoichi 10 at that price from no longer stocks it.

I got spoiled at a tasting recently of Ichiro's Malts and want to expand my selection (I have only a lone Chichibu "On the Way" at the moment; I tried several others and enjoyed all of them). Tough to find for any moderate price online, and tough to find in the Tokyo area IME as well.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by exerda
I need to put together a vertical and try the three side-by-side. I think I actually like the 12 the best, but it's been a while since I dared pour my 17 (although to be fair, I do have a bottle in reserve, too, so I shouldn't be so stingy with myself). I'll post a follow-up in the not-distant future.
So I put together the vertical last night, with a dram each of the Harmony, 12 year, and 17 year.

IMHO the Harmony was the least-complex and also the sweetest. It's not bad, mind you, but definitely lacks some of the character of the older Hibikis. It has plenty of body to it, but that body is dominated by honey-like sweetness.

The 17 was the most Scotch-like, with a good degree of smokiness to its finish. As with all the Hibikis, plenty of body. Definite resinous notes, and plenty of oak.

My favorite remains the 12, which seems a good balance between the two.
Old Oct 4, 2015, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold
My local Costco in So. SF off of El Camino has the Hibiki Harmony in stock. I picked up 1 bottle to compare it to the 12. It's priced the same as the 12, when they had it in stock.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.