Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Rail/Trains in Japan - What are the differences?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rail/Trains in Japan - What are the differences?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2014, 6:10 pm

I think most things have already been said. Travelling by rail in Japan is very easy, even if you don't speak the language, but as long as you can speak English. I read somewhere that before the football (soccer) world cup in 2002 they changed all of the signs in stations to be multilingual, and I found that to be true even in some very remote places, they were all in Kanji, Hiragana and English. Even local services have signs and announcements in English.
Away from the trains, it can be a little more complicated, and it's well worth knowing what your destination looks like in Kanji. A lot of the characters are used repeatedly for place names, like shima, bashi, yama etc. and it's worth knowing the points of the compass. When I say "knowing" I mean "write them down". You'll get to know some of them, but not at first.
Japan's also on Google street view, so if you're trying to find somewhere, find it on street view first. Buildings aren't numbered logically.
Back to the trains, on the Shinkansen platforms you'll see markings on the platform, which show you where to queue to get onto the train. The train doors always line up with these, so use them. Everyone else does.
With the JR pass, as has been said, you have to buy it outside Japan and activate it when you're there. It may not be relevant to you, but you don't have to activate it when you arrive. I was there for ten weeks with a three-week JR pass and used it somewhere in the middle.

I wasn't hugely impressed by Osaka but there will be plenty to keep you occupied for a couple of days. Hiroshima is great, however. Make sure you go to Miyajima. The view from the top is amazing on a clear day. And if you want to see a decent castle, Himeji's just West of Osaka.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 7:21 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by ppp909
... a decent castle, Himeji's just West of Osaka.
Once again, Himeji-jo is still under renovation. The work is scheduled to start into the completion phase later this year and be back to normal sometime next year.

Until the Himeji renovation is complete, we usually recommend Hikone Castle instead. That is located on the shore of Lake Biwa, near Kyoto.
Old Jul 5, 2014, 10:14 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Yes, to get to Hikone (Hee-ko-neh) Castle, you take a local JR train from Kyoto. The town is small, and the castle is easy to find.

I went past Himeji Castle on the train two weeks ago. It's still partly under wraps.
Old Jul 6, 2014, 11:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
I was shocked last year that a small station on a branch line didn't have a ticket machine but had signage in English!
Cheers
Howie
Old Jul 11, 2014, 8:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
So to clarify the JR will also allow us to use the Narita-Tokyo train as well (assuming that we activate it upon arrival) or if we wait a few days and its activated for the return Tokyo to Narita? I think its called the N'Ex?

Adding two more questions regarding purchase of JR?

Is there and advance purchase requirement for me to buy the JR? ie., X number of days prior to arrival?
What do I need in order to purchase the ticket? I'm guessing A ticket into (and out of) Japan?

I've read the JR site and the best that I can make out of it, is that I'd have to buy it at JAL at TBIT LAX (which is where I'm departing out of on an AA Award ticket - I hope that doesn't matter)

Last edited by TrojanHorse; Jul 11, 2014 at 8:34 pm
Old Jul 11, 2014, 10:09 pm

No. There are numerous on-line sources to purchase the Japan Rail Pass. I am pretty sure JAL at LAX is NOT a source. You will want the Exchange Orders in hand before you depart on your trip.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/05/en05_2.html

Scroll down past the airlines and rail companies to the travel agencies, near the bottom.

There is no advance purchase time requirement. You don't need anything to purchase a Rail Pass but money. There are a few questions on the purchase form and you will be sent another form to fill out and submit along with the Exchange Order in Japan.

FYI, I usually use TTA, Inc. in the San Francisco Bay area but I see they have a location in NYC. Any of the online travel bureaus can sell you the pass either on-line or by phone. You can purchase up to 60 days in advance but I tend to wait until 2 or 3 weeks ahead in case my plans change. Don't wait until the very last minute, although they will overnight the purchased Exchange Order to you. Once you have the Exchange Order, don't lose it, it is like money. If you wind up not using the Pass, you can return it for refund minus a restocking fee.

And yes, the Japan Rail Narita Express (N'Ex) is a JR line and is covered by the Rail Pass, assuming you ride during the valid period. I try to make sure I either activate the Pass immediately upon arrival so I can use it for the N'Ex or wait and activate it for the last 7 days (or 14 days) of my stay and use it for the ride back out to the airport, either the N'Ex to NRT or the Japan Rail airport deluxe train "Haruka" from Kyoto to KIX. Part of the "game" of using a Rail Pass for me is planning the absolute maximum use I can get out of it, including airport transportation. My favorite is a 14 day stay, during which I use the first day of the Pass to leave the airport and the last day to get back to the airport for departure. I hate wasting days of free rail travel. :-)

Last edited by abmj-jr; Jul 11, 2014 at 11:40 pm
Old Jul 12, 2014, 2:55 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
There is no advance purchase time requirement.
But there is a max period of max 3 months for the Pass to be exchanged. The website will tell you that when ordering....
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

No. There are numerous on-line sources to purchase the Japan Rail Pass. I am pretty sure JAL at LAX is NOT a source. You will want the Exchange Orders in hand before you depart on your trip.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/05/en05_2.html

Scroll down past the airlines and rail companies to the travel agencies, near the bottom.

There is no advance purchase time requirement. You don't need anything to purchase a Rail Pass but money. There are a few questions on the purchase form and you will be sent another form to fill out and submit along with the Exchange Order in Japan.

FYI, I usually use TTA, Inc. in the San Francisco Bay area but I see they have a location in NYC. Any of the online travel bureaus can sell you the pass either on-line or by phone. You can purchase up to 60 days in advance but I tend to wait until 2 or 3 weeks ahead in case my plans change. Don't wait until the very last minute, although they will overnight the purchased Exchange Order to you. Once you have the Exchange Order, don't lose it, it is like money. If you wind up not using the Pass, you can return it for refund minus a restocking fee.

And yes, the Japan Rail Narita Express (N'Ex) is a JR line and is covered by the Rail Pass, assuming you ride during the valid period. I try to make sure I either activate the Pass immediately upon arrival so I can use it for the N'Ex or wait and activate it for the last 7 days (or 14 days) of my stay and use it for the ride back out to the airport, either the N'Ex to NRT or the Japan Rail airport deluxe train "Haruka" from Kyoto to KIX. Part of the "game" of using a Rail Pass for me is planning the absolute maximum use I can get out of it, including airport transportation. My favorite is a 14 day stay, during which I use the first day of the Pass to leave the airport and the last day to get back to the airport for departure. I hate wasting days of free rail travel. :-)
Ok I'm an idiot, that has been stipulated in other threads and I'm reaffirming that here

I still can't figure out how to buy a JR Pass exchange order here in the U.S.

I used the link above and it shows nothing but locations that are nowhere near me other than the Wash DC office. I am not "that" close to DC and I prefer to stay out of DC so is there another way (other than going into DC) for me to get this pass in NoVa? FYI, I'm 8 miles from IAD .

Yes I see one (JAL whom I'm flying) in TBIT:

Tom Bradley Int'l Terminal, Los Angeles Int'l Airport, 380 World Way, Los Angeles , Clifornia 90045, U.S.A.

and I'm flying to NRT out of LAX but I sure don't want to wait until the morning of my departure to try and buy this Exchange Order especially when I don't know what I'm doing. I will if that is my only option but I'd like to have it in hand prior to departure from IAD. I just got off the phone with JAL and they said to buy it at check in except that I should check in about 3 hours prior (no big deal) and I can do it at the counter. Man this seems like its cutting it close if you ask me.

I feel like I'm completely missing the boat and there is a way to do this online now from home. You say any online travel agent, however I presume it has to be one of those OTA's listed on that link above? Do I just google those OTA's and buy it from them? If not, at least something way more simple than schlepping my back side to some out of the way airline ticket office or Japanese travel agency

So Assuming that I end up going to one of those locations on that link above, do I get the EO right then and there?

Pricing:

JR website lists 38,880 Yen per adult, using a Y101:1 USD that is about $385USD

So I googled this site and they are charging $279 USD per adult. Thats quite a difference.

Whats the catch?

Sorry for being such a dope but I really am lost trying to just figure out this EO thing.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:27 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Why not simply order it for fedex home delivery from http://www.jrpass.com.
And then simply activate it on arrival....
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:44 pm

Programs: Dirt
Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
JR website lists 38,880 Yen per adult, using a Y101:1 USD that is about $385USD
38,880 yen is the price for 1 week green car adult pass.

Originally Posted by TrojanHorse
So I googled this site and they are charging $279 USD per adult. Thats quite a difference.
$279 is for 1 week regular car adult pass. If you click on the Instant Quote button you will see the green car pass is $372.

Since there is no B&M authorized seller near in DC/VA/MD and you want to have the pass before departure, online is your only option.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:38 pm

Just call one of the phone/online sellers and have the exchange orders sent to you. Most use Fedex 2nd Day although a few use UPS. You could certainly go in in person but that seems like a real waste of time. Down toward the bottom of the link I gave are several authorized travel agencies who can sell you the Rail Pass over the phone. I use Top Tours (TTA) but any will do - JTB, KNT, NTA or TTA. Just find the one closest to you and give them a call. Have a credit card ready. They will guide you through the process from there. The last time I spoke with TTA, they said their on-line site was giving them problems and requested I order via phone. It looks like most are going that way but the link RTW1 gave should work too.

Unless you really have extra money to spend, the green (1st class) cars are not necessary. The regular Rail Pass gets you onto the regular reserved seating cars which are very comfortable. I am 6'-5" and have never felt the need to pay the extra.

Last edited by abmj-jr; Jul 25, 2014 at 3:49 pm
Old Jul 25, 2014, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by msb0b
...Since there is no B&M authorized seller near in DC/VA/MD and you want to have the pass before departure, online is your only option.
JTB has an office in DC if he really wants to go in in person but I agree that any of the east coast offices should be able to have it delivered within 2 or 3 days.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the input guys, I got it now (I think LOL)
Old Jul 25, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Dirt
JTB has an office in DC
You are right; now I see it on the list. I did not find it at first because they abbreviated it "D.C." and I was searching for "DC".
Old Jul 26, 2014, 2:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by ppp909
With the JR pass, as has been said, you have to buy it outside Japan and activate it when you're there. It may not be relevant to you, but you don't have to activate it when you arrive. I was there for ten weeks with a three-week JR pass and used it somewhere in the middle.
Another tip that is often overlooked is that the start of the pass does not need to coincide with the date of exchange (although it usually does). You might want to, for example, turn in your exchange order and get the actual pass at the JR ticket office upon arrival in NRT, even though you might spend a few days in Tokyo and not want to have the 7-day validity start until the day that you leave Tokyo for points south (er, west). Just tell them the first date that you want the pass to be valid. This has several benefits, including allowing you to start your journey on the first day of validity at any JR station and not have to pay to get to a station that can do the pass exchange/activation (which are only major stations).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.