FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Rail/Trains in Japan - What are the differences?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 1:13 pm
TrojanHorse
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Originally Posted by abmj-jr
No. There are numerous on-line sources to purchase the Japan Rail Pass. I am pretty sure JAL at LAX is NOT a source. You will want the Exchange Orders in hand before you depart on your trip.

http://www.japanrailpass.net/05/en05_2.html

Scroll down past the airlines and rail companies to the travel agencies, near the bottom.

There is no advance purchase time requirement. You don't need anything to purchase a Rail Pass but money. There are a few questions on the purchase form and you will be sent another form to fill out and submit along with the Exchange Order in Japan.

FYI, I usually use TTA, Inc. in the San Francisco Bay area but I see they have a location in NYC. Any of the online travel bureaus can sell you the pass either on-line or by phone. You can purchase up to 60 days in advance but I tend to wait until 2 or 3 weeks ahead in case my plans change. Don't wait until the very last minute, although they will overnight the purchased Exchange Order to you. Once you have the Exchange Order, don't lose it, it is like money. If you wind up not using the Pass, you can return it for refund minus a restocking fee.

And yes, the Japan Rail Narita Express (N'Ex) is a JR line and is covered by the Rail Pass, assuming you ride during the valid period. I try to make sure I either activate the Pass immediately upon arrival so I can use it for the N'Ex or wait and activate it for the last 7 days (or 14 days) of my stay and use it for the ride back out to the airport, either the N'Ex to NRT or the Japan Rail airport deluxe train "Haruka" from Kyoto to KIX. Part of the "game" of using a Rail Pass for me is planning the absolute maximum use I can get out of it, including airport transportation. My favorite is a 14 day stay, during which I use the first day of the Pass to leave the airport and the last day to get back to the airport for departure. I hate wasting days of free rail travel. :-)
Ok I'm an idiot, that has been stipulated in other threads and I'm reaffirming that here

I still can't figure out how to buy a JR Pass exchange order here in the U.S.

I used the link above and it shows nothing but locations that are nowhere near me other than the Wash DC office. I am not "that" close to DC and I prefer to stay out of DC so is there another way (other than going into DC) for me to get this pass in NoVa? FYI, I'm 8 miles from IAD .

Yes I see one (JAL whom I'm flying) in TBIT:

Tom Bradley Int'l Terminal, Los Angeles Int'l Airport, 380 World Way, Los Angeles , Clifornia 90045, U.S.A.

and I'm flying to NRT out of LAX but I sure don't want to wait until the morning of my departure to try and buy this Exchange Order especially when I don't know what I'm doing. I will if that is my only option but I'd like to have it in hand prior to departure from IAD. I just got off the phone with JAL and they said to buy it at check in except that I should check in about 3 hours prior (no big deal) and I can do it at the counter. Man this seems like its cutting it close if you ask me.

I feel like I'm completely missing the boat and there is a way to do this online now from home. You say any online travel agent, however I presume it has to be one of those OTA's listed on that link above? Do I just google those OTA's and buy it from them? If not, at least something way more simple than schlepping my back side to some out of the way airline ticket office or Japanese travel agency

So Assuming that I end up going to one of those locations on that link above, do I get the EO right then and there?

Pricing:

JR website lists 38,880 Yen per adult, using a Y101:1 USD that is about $385USD

So I googled this site and they are charging $279 USD per adult. Thats quite a difference.

Whats the catch?

Sorry for being such a dope but I really am lost trying to just figure out this EO thing.