Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Recommend app(s) to learn a little Japanese?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Recommend app(s) to learn a little Japanese?

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2013, 11:27 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Do Japanese still tell you that your Japanese is 上手?
I just got this when I went in for a haircut today. The barber went on to ask me whether it's true that foreigners don't get stiff shoulders and don't need massages.
Old May 22, 2013, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jib71
A non-Japanese friend of mine was sitting on a park bench once. Quiet. Minding his own business. Never uttered a word. Someone sat down next to him and told him how good his Japanese was.
Originally Posted by joejones
I just got this when I went in for a haircut today. The barber went on to ask me whether it's true that foreigners don't get stiff shoulders and don't need massages.
LOL, my former Japanese teacher once said to me , "When people no longer tell you that you are good at (insert blank), you are on the right path " ! So even after all those JLPT exams still a functioning illiterate !
Old May 22, 2013, 4:36 am

Programs: Dirt
A non-Japanese friend of mine was sitting on a park bench once. Quiet. Minding his own business. Never uttered a word. Someone sat down next to him and told him how good his Japanese was.
This is an example of the i-shin-den-shin (以心伝心), a superhuman power exclusive to the Japanese.
Old May 22, 2013, 4:57 am

Contrast: http://gaijinchronicles.com/2005/02/04/gaijin-smash/
Old May 22, 2013, 7:45 am

Programs: Dirt
Gaijin Smash is the corollary superpower. Loved that guy's writings.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: meltdowngraded from "F" and "C" , Accor Plt, BW Dia, ihg G, UA 0.9999MM
Originally Posted by gnaget
XXXX-GA iranaidesu (I don't need XXXX)
Advice from a native speaker.

XXXX-WA iranaidesu (I don't need XXXX)
is much more natural.

Other than that,GJ.
Old May 22, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: UA *G MM
Originally Posted by O Sora
Advice from a native speaker.

XXXX-WA iranaidesu (I don't need XXXX)
is much more natural.

Other than that,GJ.
Thanks for the feedback. I heard that from another native Japanese person too. I think I am being taught incorrectly or at least awkwardly. It's difficult to get WA vs. GA right.

I have been taught to use GA when it is specific. So WA would imply no need in general in this case? I suppose saying sato-WA iranaidesu means that I don't need sugar in general (in my coffee for example), which is an accurate statement for most people since it's a habitual preference.

Last edited by gnaget; May 22, 2013 at 8:57 pm
Old May 22, 2013, 9:09 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by gnaget
... It's difficult to get WA vs. GA right.

I have been taught to use GA when it is specific. ...
Really? I've always been taught that 'wa' denotes the subject of a sentence and 'ga' denotes the object.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:16 pm

Another way I have heard the distinction is that "wa" emphasizes what comes after it, with the word before it "tossed in" to clarify the topic of the discussion, while "ga" emphasizes what comes before it. This is why you say "kore wa nan desu ka?" and "nani ga ii desu ka?" in either case putting the emphasis on the blank that you want to have filled in.

It's also possible that this is total BS.
Old May 22, 2013, 9:21 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
Really? I've always been taught that 'wa' denotes the subject of a sentence and 'ga' denotes the object.
"Ga" always denotes the subject, while "wa" denotes the topic which may be the subject, object, or something else entirely. That's how you can have sentences like "Suzuki-san wa nani ga ii desu ka?" (What would you like, Suzuki-san) or "Tokyo wa hito ga ooi" (in Tokyo there are many people). Or when ordering drinks you can say "watashi wa biiru desu," which means something like "a beer for me," not "I am beer."
Old May 22, 2013, 9:31 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
"Ga" always denotes the subject,
Nihongo ga dekinai.

Japanese language can't.

Can't what?
Old May 22, 2013, 9:58 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
"Ga" always denotes the subject, while "wa" denotes the topic which may be the subject, object, or something else entirely. That's how you can have sentences like "Suzuki-san wa nani ga ii desu ka?" (What would you like, Suzuki-san) or "Tokyo wa hito ga ooi" (in Tokyo there are many people). Or when ordering drinks you can say "watashi wa biiru desu," which means something like "a beer for me," not "I am beer."
In all of your examples, 'wa' is designating the subject of the sentences - Suzuki-san, Tokyo and watashi. In two of them, 'ga' is referring to the object - nani and hito. The object of a sentence is the part that the verb "operates" on. Ex. Watashi wa nihongo ga wakarimasen. Watashi = subject, nihongo = object because the verb refers to it, not to the subject.

Sheesh! Why am I arguing something so trivial. Long retired and I still slip into teacher-mode unexpectedly.

No mas!
Old May 22, 2013, 9:59 pm

Nihongo ga dekinai.

Japanese language can't.

Can't what?
Technically, dekiru and the potential forms of other verbs put the sentence into a sort of passive voice, so you are literally saying something like "Japanese is not possible." Another verb that similarly seems like an exception is "wakaru" (understand), which is intransitive, so you say "nihongo ga wakaru" which is literally like saying "Japanese is understood" though a decent translator would never translate it that way.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:18 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Technically, dekiru and the potential forms of other verbs put the sentence into a sort of passive voice, so you are literally saying something like "Japanese is not possible." Another verb that similarly seems like an exception is "wakaru" (understand), which is intransitive, so you say "nihongo ga wakaru" which is literally like saying "Japanese is understood" though a decent translator would never translate it that way.
Yeah. And there are other cases where a decent translator might choose an English sentence with a different subject than the word marked "ga" in the Japanese sentence. Elephants have long noses. (Hana ga nagai). I'm sure you can think of others.
Old May 22, 2013, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by abmj-jr
In all of your examples, 'wa' is designating the subject of the sentences - Suzuki-san, Tokyo and watashi. In two of them, 'ga' is referring to the object - nani and hito.
I'd be curious to hear how you break these sentences down as a teacher, though I am partly at fault for not translating them literally enough. The first sentence literally means something like "What is good for Suzuki-san?" and the last sentence is really saying "for me, [it] will be beer" (with the pronoun subject omitted because Japanese lets you do that) -- so Suzuki-san, Tokyo and watashi are all prepositional objects. (any grammar nerds willing to correct me here?)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.