Wiki Posts
Search

Plug Adapter and Power considerations

Search this Thread

Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:34 am
Original Poster

Plug Adapter and Power considerations

Quick question...

Will the UK three pin to US two pin plug adapter that I use when in the States also work in electrical sockets in Japan?

Off to Japan/Tokyo for the first time shortly.

Thanks.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:35 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Quick answer - yes!

(Just back from 1st trip to Tokyo/Japan)
Old Apr 4, 2012, 5:36 am
Original Poster

That was quick!

Thanks very much. Hope you enjoyed your visit as much as I'm looking forward to mine.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 6:00 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
All the UK->US adaptors that I've seen have two flat pins. They will work.

What sometimes trips up people from the US is the fact that American plugs for PCs and other appliances typically have a round earth pin above the two flat pins. Many Japanese plugs (especially in domestic installations and older buildings) don't have an earth. So, surprisingly, a UK->US adaptor will fit in some places where a US plug wont.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 2:41 pm

Programs: UA, NW
I was able to pick up a US three-prong to two-prong plug adapter in one of those arcades of little electronic shops in Akihabara on one trip, and it wasn't very expensive.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 3:14 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Not so quick answer - probably...

I've run into hotels which do not support a POLARIZED two flat blade plug. If the blades are equal width it'll work, but with a polarized two prong plug one blade will be slightly larger than the other & it won't fit into a non-polarized socket.

And you probably already know but Japan runs on 100VAC not 120VAC...generally the eastern part of the country like Tokyo is 50 Hz and the west like Osaka is 60 Hz. Almost all modern adapters will work great but do check the label to be sure.
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Thanks to all for the info. My adapters are twin pin (same size) and I'm only looking to charge an iPhone, run a MacBook Air and possibly charge a camera battery.

I will check the power supplies in the morning...
Old Apr 4, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
One of my more adventurous half hours involved trying to find a 3 to 2 prong adapter at the giant Yamada store in Sendai, where virtually no one spoke enough English to figure out what I needed and my limited Japanese did not include "adapter." Eventually, they dragged a young lady over from another department who sent me up to the 6th floor (yup, big store) where I found a whole wall of different electrical adapters. Only took another 5-10 minutes of searching but I left the place victorious. That store was one of the most intimidating places I have been in Japan.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 1:21 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

USA (110-120 VAC, 60 Hz) three prong and two-prong grounded
Note one blade is wider at end of two-prong plug

Japan (100 VAC, 50~60 Hz) on USA converter plug
Note blades are same dimension, no wodening
*Eastern Japan 50 Hz (Tokyo, Kawasaki, Sapporo, Yokohoma, and Sendai);
Western Japan 60 Hz (Osaka, Kyoto, Nagoya, Hiroshima)

Voltage is generally a problem; Hz / Cycles per second can be with some items (usually motors)

Best site for plug issues: http://www.kropla.com/electric2.htm (Also see their telephony pages)
Old Apr 11, 2012, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
What hotel are you staying at? The better ones will be able to offer you an adaptor/voltage convertor if needed.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 7:04 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim
Thanks to all for the info. My adapters are twin pin (same size) and I'm only looking to charge an iPhone, run a MacBook Air and possibly charge a camera battery.
Should be fine then.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 8:55 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hailstorm
What hotel are you staying at? The better ones will be able to offer you an adaptor/voltage convertor if needed.
The Park Hyatt in Shinjuku.

Originally Posted by joejones
Should be fine then.
^
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:11 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
I have similar concerns. My first trip to Japan is in 9 days. I'll be staying at:

The Westin Tokyo
1-4-1 Mita, Meguro-ku,
Tokyo 153-8580 Japan

My HP Laptop has a US type 3 pin plug (the flat plug blades are not polarized). Should I get an adapter? Or an HP power supply for Japan's different electric Voltage & Hz?
Old Jul 3, 2014, 3:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You just need the adaptor.

However many top hotels have at least one place in the room, usually on the desk, where you will find several different electrical outlets. I think I just plugged in a normal USA two pronged plug the last time I stayed at the Westin Tokyo but I'm not sure. You should be able to borrow adaptors from their housekeeping department by calling the service button on the phone in your room.
Old Jul 3, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by Phil Level
... My HP Laptop has a US type 3 pin plug (the flat plug blades are not polarized). Should I get an adapter? Or an HP power supply for Japan's different electric Voltage & Hz?
The little grey plastic 3>2 prong adapter you can get at any supermarket or drug store for about a dollar works fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.