Wiki Posts
Search

Things to do in Tokyo from 11p-7a

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:26 am
Original Poster

Question Things to do in Tokyo from 11p-7a

Hello Friends,

I am a Delta Airlines employee who will be exploring Tokyo this upcoming week via our new route from Detroit (DTW) to Haneda (HND). Some friends and I are scheduled to land at HND around 11pm and leave the next morning at 7am. I know it is not much of a stay but we would like to do some exploring of Tokyo while we are there instead of just sitting in the airport.

The actual time that we would have available to explore is from 11ish to about 5am. At 5 we will need to start to make our way back to the airport to catch our flight at 7.

That being said does anyone have some suggestions on how we could get to the city center or any district that has a night life? I have heard that the rail closes around midnight so I am not sure if that would be an option for us.

We would really like to check out some places that are popular and that dont mind Americans. I dont know how much is open that late at night but even walking around and taking some pictures of great architecture would be ok with us. We just need to know where to go.

Thanks in advance for all of your help!!!
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd suggest Shinjuku.
Lots of clubs, izakaya, all night cinemas (although the same movie might be shown on rotation to a part slumbering audience), convenience stores and there's one of the city's sleazier entertainment districts.
Perhaps the most Japanese thing you could do late at night is take a succession of baths, Green Plaza is open all night http://www.hgpshinjuku.jp/

As there's more than one of you (and time is obviously important since you have so little of it) you might like to try
http://www.tokyoairporter.com/fares.html From just over 8,000yen each way.
Could be the most cost effective way depending on how many of you there are
Old Feb 19, 2011, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA, ANA, BA
Well then...You'd better head straight to Roppongi and start drinking! Lots of bars and clubs to choose from.

What day will you be heading into the city? If its a Thursday/Friday/Saturday, that would work out nicely.

Trains DO shut down between 12-1am, so you should be able to get into the city before the shutdown, but getting back... Thankfully trains DO start running at around 5 but I'm not sure about the schedule. Check http://www.hyperdia.com and do a precise search.

Take the HND monorail to Hamamatsucho Station and walk to the Daimon station and then take the Toei Oedo Line to Roppongi and explore. The area is pretty busy late at night and there are sports nearby to explore, including Tokyo Tower, Tokyo midtown and the Mori tower.

And as the above poster stated, Shinjuku is another amazing part of the city that doesn't rest. Either or is amazing.

Last edited by RickStevesWannabe; Feb 19, 2011 at 12:57 pm Reason: Addition
Old Feb 19, 2011, 1:27 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Welcome to FT, mustangcbra!

Uhh, if they're working at 7am, alcohol would be not on the table. That does rule out a lot of late night possibilities, although you can always drink soft drinks in the clubs. I'd say Roppongi over Shinjuku, simply because Roppongi is closer to Haneda. The rules at Roppongi: NEVER go anywhere a tout tries to take you and NEVER enter anyplace unless you clearly understand in advance what it will cost.

You will need Yen, get them at the airport ATM before leaving.

I'd suggest that the last thing you do before going back to work is to go to Tsukiji fish market. You might even be able to watch the tuna auctions if you get there early, like 4am, when the action starts. Then cab it from Tsukiji to Haneda, maybe after a really fresh sushi breakfast, although at around 5am the trains and subways start so that is possible too.

Make sure that Tsukiji is open the day you go, though, there is an English language website somewhere that tells that.
Old Feb 19, 2011, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Since my credit card DOES have limits, I make it a rule never to enter a restaurant or bar or club that doesn't have some indication of the prices posted outside--unless someone else is paying, of course.

A lot of places will have the cover charges and prices posted outside. If you can pick up a copy of one of the English-language newspapers or magazines, you may be able to find information about small clubs that offer jazz or rock performances ("live houses").
Old Feb 19, 2011, 11:53 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Although I don't like Roppongi that much, I agree with the suggestions to go there, since it's reasonably close and will have many places open through the night.

My recommended itinerary would be to take the monorail to Hamamatsucho and walk from there to Roppongi. It's pretty easy -- get off the train, walk toward Tokyo Tower, take a little break to check out the temple and take some photos, then go directly under the tower and keep following the street until it turns into Gaien Higashi Dori, and that takes you straight to the crossing. About 30 minutes of walking but there's interesting scenery in the middle. Heading back, you can take a cab to Hamamatsucho and catch the monorail back to HND, which will save a lot of money. Get the monorail by 5:30ish and you should have plenty of time to make the DL flight back to DTW.

The touts in Roppongi (mostly Africans) tend to push sketchy places, at least to all-male groups, but they are networked with all kinds of establishments and can show you to "normal" bars and clubs that aren't scams. I have gotten a few good tips from them over the years and haven't gotten burned yet, though I always have friends spotting me. That said, always carefully confirm prices in advance, and negotiate down as much as you can; think of Roppongi as a buyer's market. Also beware that any strip club or other place advertising "girls" is going to end up being much more expensive than the initial price quote.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 5:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by joejones
The touts in Roppongi (mostly Africans) tend to push sketchy places, at least to all-male groups, but they are networked with all kinds of establishments and can show you to "normal" bars and clubs that aren't scams. I have gotten a few good tips from them over the years and haven't gotten burned yet, though I always have friends spotting me.
Well, this is the first time I've ever heard anybody say anything nice about those parasites. Getting soft in your old age, Young Jones?
Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by joejones
The touts in Roppongi (mostly Africans) tend to push sketchy places
One of the funniest things I've seen in Roppongi was the time my boss scared away the touts. He convincingly expressed an unhealthy interest in their wives. I didn't think it was possible to be too toxic for those guys to want to bother you, but he managed it.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Well, this is the first time I've ever heard anybody say anything nice about those parasites. Getting soft in your old age, Young Jones?
It may be the fact that I don't go to Roppongi lately unless I'm already considerably inebriated, which makes the tout negotiation game more fun. When I'm sober, I'm much more inclined to push them out of the way.
Old Feb 20, 2011, 8:58 pm

Programs: Too Many
I agree with the Roppongi advice that others have given. One other point, if you/your group happen to get tired, keep an eye out for either a Manga Cafe or Karaoke Box. Both are places that one can "crash" for a few hours (or longer). In the case of the former, you rent a computer terminal with a comfortable chair, and can use the internet, or just relax. They also have free soft drinks, coffee, etc. For the Karaoke box (room), you can of course sing, but often in Japan groups will just go into the room and order some food and drinks, and talk. Of course, it would be best not to use these, but just wanted to mention it.

Also, in Roppongi many izakaya and small eating places are open overnight, so that is another option.

Enjoy your short Tokyo Trip!!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:41 am

Unless you really like sleazy bars, I would recommend Shinjuku over Roppongi - it's far less sleazy and there aren't touts everywhere that you have to avoid. It's only about 7 minutes farther on the subway (the same Oedo line) than Roppongi. Shibuya also has an all-night scene with a younger crowd than Shinjuku or Roppongi, and it's also easy to reach via public transit.

Besides clubs and bars, there's Don Quixote (with branches in all three neighborhoods) - a weird all-night variety store - and a late-night pingpong club and bowling alley in Shibuya if you're in a sporty mood.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:44 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
you might like to try
http://www.tokyoairporter.com/fares.html From just over 8,000yen each way.
Could be the most cost effective way depending on how many of you there are
I think even a regular taxi from Haneda is around the same price, no?
Old Feb 23, 2011, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
I think even a regular taxi from Haneda is around the same price, no?
Not for 7 people
Old Feb 23, 2011, 5:38 pm
mjm
Original Member

I would suggest that you contact the staff at your office here and see if they would be up for a late night karaoke session followed by some late night/ early morning eats. I know a few of the people at the office here and they are fantastic.

Singing and then maybe some sushi at Tsukiji (or a great curry at CoCo across the street from the Monorail station at Hamamatsucho) could give you a fun and weather proof glimpse of Tokyo and convince you to come visit us more often. Non-Rev yourselves out here for Cheery Blossoms and more.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:15 am

Originally Posted by lobsterdog
Unless you really like sleazy bars, I would recommend Shinjuku over Roppongi - it's far less sleazy and there aren't touts everywhere that you have to avoid.
There are indeed a lot of touts if you go late at night, at least in the Kabuki-cho area (which is the only area where anything happens late at night).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.