Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

Online check-in: What's a 'half-width character?'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Online check-in: What's a 'half-width character?'

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:02 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Question Online check-in: What's a 'half-width character?'

I'm trying to do online checkin for a JAL flight from NRT to the US. I get all the way through the process (in English) and get an error related to passport expiration date.

It requests this format: YYYY / MO / DY

I put in: 2018 / 1 / 31 plus the other similarly.

I receive an error message that highlights both the expiration fields for both of us and tells me to "use half-width characters."

Nothing I try, such as a zero before the one (won't even allow two digits in the month field) or 17 instead of 2017 makes a difference. Same 'half-width' error.

What's it asking me to do? (I'm feelin like a 'half-width' here! )
Old Apr 20, 2014, 3:26 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Try without the spaces in the date?

Edit: Nevermind, check my record and don't think you entered the '/'. Make sure you are using the correct character sets/locale on your system then.

Last edited by JALPak; Apr 20, 2014 at 3:41 am
Old Apr 20, 2014, 7:20 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage & Marriott Bonvoy
Original Poster

Programs: American ExPlat; Marriott/SPG Lifetime Plat; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JALPak
Try without the spaces in the date?

Edit: Nevermind, check my record and don't think you entered the '/'. Make sure you are using the correct character sets/locale on your system then.
Yeah, I'm not entering either the spaces or the " / " -- I was just using those to illustrate the numbers I was entering. The fields are strictly limited -- only enough spaces for the actual numbers, and in the case of the month, only a single digit. (Does Japan not recognize October, November and December? )

I'll try again in the AM. Or not, actually. To enter all the passport and personal details for two people is quite tedious, especially when you know you've entered it to their specification only to be given such a bizarre error message. I'll just checkin at NRT.

Thanks for trying to help, JALPak!
Old Apr 20, 2014, 6:32 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
Half-width vs full-width refers to different types characters used in CFK languages (the explanation is long and involved, so I refer you to Wikipedia).

However, I don't think that's applicable in your case. Have you tried calling JAL (or your travel agent) to input it for you? To be honest, it's not really a big deal -- they'll confirm your passport details again at check-in -- so I think you're right in waiting until you get to NRT to do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.