Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2016, 3:37 am
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by musashino22
I have a bad feeling that NRT-SYD route will lose their F service given that these past 2 months, the average LF is hovering just above 65% when it used to be averaging around 90% before for the past year. Even after upgrading the route with F service since Oct 2014, I guess reality has caught up with a lot of passengers and found that a HND service is more convenient and there's just so much capacity since NH joined the fun. But then this could just be a blip but then I don't have the insider information to know if the low LF is caused by competition and disadvantage situation of having the route from NRT or other factors.

So pray hard guys that SYD-NRT will still have F service although I also have a feeling that NRT-CGK, also having bad LF these past few months, will also lose F service and the extra 2 frames can be moved to NRT-DFW in time for Toyota NA's opening in early 2017.

So we will see.
Yup another 20% drop in pax and RPK in june
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:38 am

Programs: AA
I am an AA Plat based in the US but travel to Asia on JAL 1-2 times a year. Is it ever better to credit miles to JAL and earn status through JAL (other than Admirals Club access even when traveling domestically)? Thanks in advance!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 5:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by moonwoo
I am an AA Plat based in the US but travel to Asia on JAL 1-2 times a year. Is it ever better to credit miles to JAL and earn status through JAL (other than Admirals Club access even when traveling domestically)? Thanks in advance!
You need to get 50% of your Fly On Points required for status from JAL metal, or JL coded codeshare flights, with 1-2 times a year it might prove hard to get enough points.

Unless you fly JAL a lot, I would say that there are in most cases better programs out there.
Old Jul 25, 2016, 6:58 am

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
You need to get 50% of your Fly On Points required for status from JAL metal, or JL coded codeshare flights, with 1-2 times a year it might prove hard to get enough points.

Unless you fly JAL a lot, I would say that there are in most cases better programs out there.
Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it won't be worth it.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 10:42 pm

Wife and I are AA/QF OWE. We are flying JAL from SFO to HKG (via HND), connecting to a CX flight to MEL, all in J. This is the same PNR. I'm just transiting the whole way and just staying airside.

Question: How much can I check w/o a charge? JAL states I can have 4x 32kg bags. CX is unlimited bags, but 50kg weight limit.

My *guess* is that JAL won't care and just check the bags through (up to 4 bags x 32kg) to my final destination, MEL.

I've searched and can't find anything that covers this. Thanks!
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deh1974
Wife and I are AA/QF OWE. We are flying JAL from SFO to HKG (via HND), connecting to a CX flight to MEL, all in J. This is the same PNR. I'm just transiting the whole way and just staying airside.

Question: How much can I check w/o a charge? JAL states I can have 4x 32kg bags. CX is unlimited bags, but 50kg weight limit.

My *guess* is that JAL won't care and just check the bags through (up to 4 bags x 32kg) to my final destination, MEL.

I've searched and can't find anything that covers this. Thanks!
Is your SFO flight JL or AA coded? Due to US DOT exception, the marketing carrier of your first flight is the MSC and your allowance will be determined by that carrier.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:50 am

Originally Posted by JALPak
Is your SFO flight JL or AA coded? Due to US DOT exception, the marketing carrier of your first flight is the MSC and your allowance will be determined by that carrier.
Thank you for the quick reply!

It's JL coded. So, if I understand correctly, as the first flight is a JL eventually connecting to a CX flight and it's the same PNR, JL rules apply?

That's freakin' great honestly.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 12:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deh1974
Thank you for the quick reply!

It's JL coded. So, if I understand correctly, as the first flight is a JL eventually connecting to a CX flight and it's the same PNR, JL rules apply?

That's freakin' great honestly.
Yes, as long as JL001 is the first flight in your complete itinerary, the US DOT exception applies.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
I was fairly impressed by JAL service this morning. I was on the delayed LHR flight, and had a separate ticket to bring me to Copenhagen. (corporate vs private expense) JAL was willing to arrange the rebooking of the SK booking without hesitation, despite having no obligation. It was literally treated as a standard same ticket connecting flight.

In the end it was not possible to make the connection, so I had them reroute me to Paris and booked an Air France connection on my own.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: JGC premier
I was fairly impressed by JAL service this morning. I was on the delayed LHR flight, and had a separate ticket to bring me to Copenhagen. (corporate vs private expense) JAL was willing to arrange the rebooking of the SK booking without hesitation, despite having no obligation. It was literally treated as a standard same ticket connecting flight.

In the end it was not possible to make the connection, so I had them reroute me to Paris and booked an Air France connection on my own.
Great to hear that JAL is still willing to go above and beyond, especially with OW moving away some of the old benefits like through baggage on separate tickets. I was worried because I had a tight connecting flight on separate tickets through notoriously unreliable PVG just a few weeks after the change was introduced with military exercise delaying the whole schedule for hours the day before my flights. The ground crew at the check in counter said she'll make sure that there will be someone to help fetch me at the gate in case of any delay. Luckily the flight went on without a hitch, but the comfort knowing that i won't be stranded with unusable flight tickets is priceless.
Old Aug 5, 2016, 1:48 pm

Using JAL miles to book Emirates

This is my first time using JMB.

I want to book Emirates (JFK-MXP-DXB-DAR-DXB) with two stopovers (in MXP and DAR). I am looking at dates in July of next year. The two middle flights (MXP-DXB-DAR) have first class availability. However, when I called they said it is not possible to book a segment and add to it later. Is this true? Meaning, do I have to wait until there is availability in all segments before booking this trip? The rep stated if I book and then cancel/re-book, there is no guarantee that the original seats will be there.
Old Aug 10, 2016, 10:38 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Hello.
I am planning a trip to Tokyo next year with a redemption, starting in Europe. Based on the miles/points I have in various programs and the amount I am ready to spend, my current plan is to fly one leg in JL F, the other leg likely in SK C. JL F is available only on the route from/to CDG and LHR if I am not mistaken (FRA maybe ? But not HEL).
As this is a leisure trip I am interested in maximising my F experience. So based on that what is the best plan: book JL F to Tokyo or back from Tokyo ?
Is the quality of the catering likely to be better ex TYO ? Are the lounges worth it ? Anything at all that would be a strong point to book the F leg in one direction compared to the other ? I am not interested in choosing the leg based on the amount/quality of sleep, this is a less major point for this trip ?
The European airport does not matter much, I can easily start/end at LHR, FRA of CDG

Tia
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Hello.
I am planning a trip to Tokyo next year with a redemption, starting in Europe. Based on the miles/points I have in various programs and the amount I am ready to spend, my current plan is to fly one leg in JL F, the other leg likely in SK C. JL F is available only on the route from/to CDG and LHR if I am not mistaken (FRA maybe ? But not HEL).
As this is a leisure trip I am interested in maximising my F experience. So based on that what is the best plan: book JL F to Tokyo or back from Tokyo ?
Is the quality of the catering likely to be better ex TYO ? Are the lounges worth it ? Anything at all that would be a strong point to book the F leg in one direction compared to the other ? I am not interested in choosing the leg based on the amount/quality of sleep, this is a less major point for this trip ?
The European airport does not matter much, I can easily start/end at LHR, FRA of CDG

Tia
As far as lounges for F in Europe is concerned London wins, not that the T3 Galleries First lounge is up there with the best. In Paris you get access to a AF J lounge. Currently Frankfurt does not have F, but it does have a small unexciting F corner in the JAL lounge. The Haneda F lounge is probably nicer than the European options.

The catering for the Japanese meal is generally agreed to be better when departing from Japan. Though the difference is not massive, but I agree that it is there.

In summary, I would book JL F ex Tokyo in this specific case.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:05 am
Original Poster

As far as lounges for F in Europe is concerned London wins, not that the T3 Galleries First lounge is up there with the best. In Paris you get access to a AF J lounge. Currently Frankfurt does not have F, but it does have a small unexciting F corner in the JAL lounge. The Haneda F lounge is probably nicer than the European options.

The catering for the Japanese meal is generally agreed to be better when departing from Japan. Though the difference is not massive, but I agree that it is there.

In summary, I would book JL F ex Tokyo in this specific case.
Ex-Japan Japanese meal is only better if you like authentic Japanese food. I've seen some pAAssengers who claim they love and use to "Japanese" food because they love sushi complained about how inedible they are.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JALPak
Ex-Japan Japanese meal is only better if you like authentic Japanese food. I've seen some pAAssengers who claim they love and use to "Japanese" food because they love sushi complained about how inedible they are.
Admittedly true that the Japanese meals can be surprising for the non-experienced in true Japanese food. And more so out of Tokyo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.