Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Japan Airlines | JAL Mileage Bank
Reload this Page >

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Tokyoite
Corona related JAL announcements page link.
https://www.jal.co.jp/jp/en/info/2020/other/200228/

Just to kick start a wiki, with answers to frequent questions.
1. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. NGO-HNL is booked in business class, but HND-NGO is in economy. Will we still get the baggage allowance as if we're flying business class the whole way?
A: Yes. written here (link)
2. We're flying HND-NGO-HNL. Will we have lounge access in HND?
A. Definitely, within the lounge access rules of course. written here (link)
Print Wikipost

[JAL NEWBIE LOUNGE] Ask Your Questions Here (flame free)

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 2:46 pm
Ambassador: Japan Airlines
Original Poster

Programs: JAL Mileage Bank, JMB Diamond, oneworld Emerald, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Chihster
Hi CPH Flyer, so, if upgraded to JGC Premier, it is good for the next calendar year? And if within the next calendar year I do not hit 80,000 FOP, I get downgraded back to regular JGC/Sapphire the following year?

Thanks.
You will be downgraded to either JGC or just JMB if you can't renew JGC. Note that JGC is not guaranteed to have oneworld Sapphire status as program rules can change at any time just like they did a few years ago. The previous system is a more sustainable one IMHO.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by JALPak
You will be downgraded to either JGC or just JMB if you can't renew JGC. Note that JGC is not guaranteed to have oneworld Sapphire status as program rules can change at any time just like they did a few years ago. The previous system is a more sustainable one IMHO.
I think so long as ANA keeps the Super Flyers card with Star Gold, JAL won't dare kill off OW Sapphire from JGC. But as usual, with Japanese airlines, one day they'll all sit down for a good solid enkai and then guess what'll happen...
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:28 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
I think so long as ANA keeps the Super Flyers card with Star Gold, JAL won't dare kill off OW Sapphire from JGC. But as usual, with Japanese airlines, one day they'll all sit down for a good solid enkai and then guess what'll happen...
They don't have to follow each other. SFC doesn't have an alternative renewal method for overseas members for example.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:36 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by JALPak
They don't have to follow each other. SFC doesn't have an alternative renewal method for overseas members for example.
Sure, but the overseas customers are just a decimal in their business planning. The focus is on domestic customers, and those (to a large degree) will drive the decisions on what stays and what goes. In my view, at a high level, so long as there's a competitive product that offers something akin to mid- or top-tier status, then EVERYONE in the Japanese market who goes after the same clientele will offer exactly the same thing. The moment one of them has the guts to drop it, they will ALL drop it.

I'm willing to put money on the line that if Star Alliance introduced a Platinum tier that gave access to F lounges, and NH introduced some sort of a "lifetime renewable status" akin to the SFC, JAL would do exactly the same with JGC Premier. It's how competition works in Japan, pretty much - offer the same product and price it more or less the same, and then try to figure out why a customer chooses your product or theirs.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Sure, but the overseas customers are just a decimal in their business planning. The focus is on domestic customers, and those (to a large degree) will drive the decisions on what stays and what goes. In my view, at a high level, so long as there's a competitive product that offers something akin to mid- or top-tier status, then EVERYONE in the Japanese market who goes after the same clientele will offer exactly the same thing. The moment one of them has the guts to drop it, they will ALL drop it.

I'm willing to put money on the line that if Star Alliance introduced a Platinum tier that gave access to F lounges, and NH introduced some sort of a "lifetime renewable status" akin to the SFC, JAL would do exactly the same with JGC Premier. It's how competition works in Japan, pretty much - offer the same product and price it more or less the same, and then try to figure out why a customer chooses your product or theirs.
The point was the 2 programs do not have to follow each other. Another example is AMC's ANA award changed to distance based vs JMB JAL redemption remains region based. You should not assume JGC won't change as long as SFC doesn't.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Interesting statements on ground services from the JAL chairman. I look forward to the lounge and other ground services reaching the same relative level as the inflight services. E.g. while I think the JAL F inflight product is stellar, the lounge product is more middle of the pack.

JAL has been concentrating on improving service quality. It has done this partly by upgrading aircraft cabins, but improvements in this regard are reaching their limit, Onishi says. The airline is now looking at ways to upgrade the airport experience, where there is still “huge room for improvement.”
http://atwonline.com/airlines/jal-wi...ck-onishi-says
Old Jun 10, 2016, 12:06 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
Hi, I'm still very much of a noob, and I have a question regarding fare classes for intl. flights. I usually book flights on JAL through AA, so I was wondering which, if any, fare codes on AA corresponds to the H・K・M booking classes on JL, which give me 70% accrual. I've been trying to search for prices on ITA Matrix, but a H on JL and a H on AA are different fare classes right? How can I book flights on JL metal which would give me 70% JMB accrual?

Also, if I were to book a multi-city (say,BDL-LAX-KIX-HND) itinerary, would the KIX-HND leg be counted as "Japan domestic flight sectors included in international tickets", which if I understand correctly, would get me 100% accrual?

Thanks for your assistance.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 1:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by JMBResona
Hi, I'm still very much of a noob, and I have a question regarding fare classes for intl. flights. I usually book flights on JAL through AA, so I was wondering which, if any, fare codes on AA corresponds to the H・K・M booking classes on JL, which give me 70% accrual. I've been trying to search for prices on ITA Matrix, but a H on JL and a H on AA are different fare classes right? How can I book flights on JL metal which would give me 70% JMB accrual?

Also, if I were to book a multi-city (say,BDL-LAX-KIX-HND) itinerary, would the KIX-HND leg be counted as "Japan domestic flight sectors included in international tickets", which if I understand correctly, would get me 100% accrual?

Thanks for your assistance.
If your flight has an AA flight number then you should look at the earnings in the AA chart not the JL chart. But AA coded and booking class H also earns 70%.
But when the flights are AA coded they do not count as JL flights in terms of FOP etc.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 2:53 am

Programs: JL QF NZ
If you're a JMB member then flights coded AA give you the mileage as per this page.

http://www.jal.co.jp/en/jmb/earn/travel/flight/aa.html
Old Jun 11, 2016, 2:27 am

Programs: AA PPro, TP Gold, UA Silver, Bonvoy/Hilton Gold, Global Entry
ThankAs it turns out, I found a website that just translated my ITA Matrix itinerary and fed it to priceline.com, with the right fare codes etc. Thanks very much for the assistance though.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 8:04 am

Programs: BA blue
Will i see any sort of Amenity kit in J on JL91 to GMP? Or will it just be like a short, intra-european style flight regarding service but with a better hard product?
Old Jun 21, 2016, 3:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mckvakk
Will i see any sort of Amenity kit in J on JL91 to GMP? Or will it just be like a short, intra-european style flight regarding service but with a better hard product?
There is no amenity kit to GMP. The meal is not that big, and offers no choice. The drinks selection is also fairly limited, e.g. no champagne. But some fairly nice sake that I recommend to go for.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:06 pm

Programs: BA blue
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
There is no amenity kit to GMP. The meal is not that big, and offers no choice. The drinks selection is also fairly limited, e.g. no champagne. But some fairly nice sake that I recommend to go for.
I've never liked sake, but I've never tried real Japanese sake, so maybe that's better. Will check it out. Thank you. It's such an early flight that I might try it out before (I have 4 days in Tokyo before this flight) and have just breakfast on the plane.
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:07 pm
Moderator, All Nippon Airways and Japan

Programs: NH SFC (*G), JL JGP (OWE), AS MVP, WOH E, IHG SE
A very minor point, but I noticed JAL recently updated their mileage earning charts to note that the ticketed point mileage (TPM) will be updated in January and July of each year going forward, instead of only once in June January.

Last edited by armagebedar; Jun 21, 2016 at 10:24 pm Reason: Jan, not Jun!
Old Jun 21, 2016, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by armagebedar
A very minor point, but I noticed JAL recently updated their mileage earning charts to note that the ticketed point mileage (TPM) will be updated in January and July of each year going forward, instead of only once in June.
It was annually in Jan before not Jun

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.