Search

What to buy in Italy ?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2017, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LAN COMODORO
What to buy in Italy ?

Hi guys

This question is quitte open, but i will like to ask, what is Cheap or Convenient to Buy in Italy?

We always look for something nice to bring a gift o two to our family or friends. Each country (so far) has something that is Cheap (we compare pricing to USA or to our country Chile) or Convenient (i mean, on Hong Kong is not cheap but you will find watches that you will never find in other places)

So any tip for Italy on what to buy. We will be on Rome (Besides some Vatican Gift) and Venice (i know i should look for Crystal out of here)
Old Jan 7, 2017, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PABLOCO
Hi guys

This question is quitte open, but i will like to ask, what is Cheap or Convenient to Buy in Italy?

We always look for something nice to bring a gift o two to our family or friends. Each country (so far) has something that is Cheap (we compare pricing to USA or to our country Chile) or Convenient (i mean, on Hong Kong is not cheap but you will find watches that you will never find in other places)

So any tip for Italy on what to buy. We will be on Rome (Besides some Vatican Gift) and Venice (i know i should look for Crystal out of here)
In Venice, Murano glass is unique and beautiful. But it is not cheap. It should come with a Certificate of Authenticity. Yes, these can be faked too. But once you see real Murano, you'll know what's fake. This isn't a really counterfeiting thing. There's the real stuff and there's tourist jimcrack. Prices reflect that as does appearance.
Similarly, you will see hundreds of street sellers of Carnavale masks. Walk right past these kiosks and seek out the shop Ca' Macana for the real deal. Again, unique and wonderful. Not cheap.
If you shop these things strictly by price, you'll end up bringing back a souvenir of China, not Venice.
Old Jan 7, 2017, 11:31 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

When in Venice, I make a point of buying aged Balsamic vinegar from Modena. It is as thick as maple syrup. My go-to-shop is Mascari. They also have tubes of white truffle paste . These gifts make my friends and relatives so happy. It is a nice, well-stocked shop just over the Rialto Bridge. Beware: They take a long lunch, so check hours before you go.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 2:25 am

Programs: AA EXP >4 MM, Lifetime Plat
Hi guys

This is really broad. When you say cheap, then you mean trinkets. Real glass and real balsamic vinegar will each set you back about 100 euros per gift. Are these close family members, children, close friends, or people you work with? Also, there really is no such thing as an Italian gift. You cannot get a carnival mask or glass in Rome. You'd be hard pressed to find something Roman in Venice. These cities were in two different countries 155 years ago.

It is true, almost all Venetian glass is now factory produced in China. Even when you go out to the island of Murano to a glass blowing factory and there is a guy in a pit blowing glass ashtrays and little ducks, surrounded by boxes indicating that they are shipping product all over the world, it is just a show to trick tourists. It's all made in China.

There are true artisanal glass makers. Their work is exhibited in elegant show rooms mostly around Piazza San Marco. Most pieces sell for a few thousand dollars each. The cheapest real glass might be a glass bottle to decant wine into for 500-600 euros, but that's about it. There are a few small shops scattered around town where artisans make ear rings and little necklaces with hand held tiny flames while you wait, but that is not cheap either. Unless you are willing to spend 500 euros per gift or give counterfeit, I wouldn't go with glass. You can find some glass that costs less and have a certificate of authenticity, but they won't meet the definition of cheap.

If the people you give to don't know any better, it really doesn't matter. A chinese colleague living in California purchased a glass ring in San Marco during a recent visit, and she lost it. It held great value to her. When I was going to Venice she gave me a picture of it and asked me to find a replacement. It was clear to me that it was one of the counterfeit Chinese made rings sold in trinket shops all over the city. Unfortunately, I told her that, and it broke her heart because she thought that because she bought it in Venice, it was Venetian, not Chinese. So, it is in the mind of the beholder.

Authentic balsamic vinegar is about as expensive as authentic Venetian glass. You can buy bottles of balsamic vinegar for 4 euros in the super market, but that's not real balsamic vinegar. When counterfeit balsamic vinegar became widespread in the 1980's, the government set up a Consortium to strictly monitor its production.

Real balsamic vinegar costs about 600 euros per liter if you buy it at an acetaia, a farm where they make it. At a store, even the least expensive stuff costs about 700 euros per liter, or 80 euros for a 100 milliliter bottle in a store, which is about 7 tablespoons.

The Consortium has strict rules for something to be considered traditional balsamic vinegar (Aceto Balsamic Traditional di Modena, or ABTM), because they are trying to salvage and maintain the reputation of the product. It is so intricate that it can only be made in small scale. The only other town that has the resources to make real balsamic vinegar is Reggio Emilia, and there it is called Aceto Balsamico Traditionale di Reggio Emilia, or ABTRM. To distinguish it from the artificial stuff made in industrial factories, ABTM must come in a roundish bottle with a square bottom, and ABTRM must come in a bottle that looks like an upside down tulip. The caps of both must be sealed with red wax to prevent evaporation. No screw off metal caps. If it comes in a jar with a metal cap that's factory stuff made in a giant vat in a week, not balsamic vinegar.

For the real stuff they have to squeeze a very particular type of grape to get the "must." Then, they have to cook that for at least a day at a very strictly monitored temperature. Too low, the sugar crystallizes. Too hot, the sugar caramelizes. Then, they have to add aceto bacteria and let it ferment until it develops the right amount of alcohol. Then, they have to put it in a very aged barrel for one year that is open to air so that the water in it can evaporate. It has to be kept at a strict temperature that can only be found naturally year round in specially constructed attics in the Modena and Reggio Emilia regions. After a year what is in the barrel is inspected by the consortium for color, density, taste, alcohol content, etc. If it passes the test it is moved into another, smaller barrel (because some of the water will have evaporated over the year), for one more year. This

Every year they do that for a minimum of 12 years. By then a lot of it has evaporated and it become quite thick. Beware of balsamic vinegar syrup. That is cheap vinegar boiled down to become thick. It costs about $5-10 per bottle, and is a balsamic vinegar reduction. You can make your own. Just buy cheap balsamic vinegar in a grocery store, empty the bottle into a skillet and cook it at medium heat until it has been reduced to about 1/4th the original volume. A lot of italian grocery stores sell this artificially thickened syrup for drizzling on things, but it is not traditional balsamic vinegar.

The acetaia where they make the vinegar has to decide if they are going to sell it at 12 years, or make vecchia or aged vinegar, and keep rolling into a smaller barrel every year for a total of 25 years. Each year before it is rolled into the next barrel it has to be inspected by the Consortium. I think there is only one year where they are allowed to interrupt and sell it between 12 an 25 years, and that is at 18 years. So, there are only 3 ages of ABTM/ABTRM: 12, 18, and 25 years.

The reason it is thick is not because it is boiled in a vat at a factory, it is because the barrels are open to air, and a lot water evaporates over 12-25 years.

If you want to bring real traditional balsamic vinegar to friends, figure on spending $100 dollars per person for a very small bottle. Sometimes when I have friends over I give them a teaspoon of the regular grocery store stuff with the screw off cap. They pucker from the acidity. Then I pour them 1/4th of a teaspoon of the real stuff. They expect to pucker, but then smile because it is more sweet than acidy. Of course, if your friends don't know the difference, you can get the same non ABTM Balsamic Vinegar di Modena at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in the USA, and give that to them.

For gift giving, I divide it into whether or not I just want to let the person know I was thinking of them, and I just bring them something traditional to eat. For example, there are local biscuits in Venice. In Torino it would be chocolate. In Rome, a jar of some type of sauce. If it's someone I want to express real thanks to, it's the thought that counts, which means I have to think about them as an individual, and try to find something that fits. In Rome, for a young person who plays soccer, it might be a soccer jersey. It's hard to say without knowing the people behind the gift, and how much you want to spend. For the most part, if it is cheap, the gifts will probably be eaten or thrown away, so don't overthink it and just by them trinkets.
At the acetaia:
Attached Images    

Last edited by Perche; Jan 8, 2017 at 2:59 am
Old Jan 8, 2017, 5:58 am

...And some info on "Vatican Gift": Similar to Murano glas, everything (i.e. absolutely everything) has been made in China. You don't really think that they have monks there making thousands of Popes Francesco and Jesus in all sizes, as well as anything else one would consider the epitome of Kitsch.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:35 am

Originally Posted by KLouis
...And some info on "Vatican Gift": Similar to Murano glas, everything (i.e. absolutely everything) has been made in China. You don't really think that they have monks there making thousands of Popes Francesco and Jesus in all sizes, as well as anything else one would consider the epitome of Kitsch.
Absolutely true, but unlike knock-off glass and vinegar, Vatican souvenirs are not cheap! The last time I brought someone there the cheapest rosary beads, made out of cardboard-like wood on metal links that were so embarrassingly flimsy that they had little chance of lasting a week, cost 35 euros! She wanted a particular type of rosary similar to one she lost years ago, and felt sure she would be able to find it at place like the Vatican. She was so disappointed when she couldn't. The only decent rosaries that werent likely to break on the way home were way over 100 euros.

The Vatican store is a tourist trinket shop with extremely overpriced items, and a few better ones marked up at least 500% over market value because they expect people will feel under obligation to buy, even though it's all mass produced in China, where Catholicism is so tightly restricted by the government that the majority practice underground at the risk of imprisonment.

In Rome you can find wonderful Catholic items of great worth at reasonable prices that won't fall apart on the way home, but not at the Vatican, where it's over 100 euros for a fairly decent rosary that would cost maybe 10-15 euros elsewhere. The only thing that doesn't make me feel guilty buying something there is to purchase Vatican related postcards in Rome, then go to the post office next to the Vatican store, buy a Vatican stamp, and send the postcard from there. The Vatican stamp and postmark are worth more than the hideously overpriced trinkets.

Last edited by Perche; Jan 8, 2017 at 7:33 am
Old Jan 8, 2017, 9:54 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

"If you want to bring real traditional balsamic vinegar to friends, figure on spending $100 dollars per person for a very small bottle. Sometimes when I have friends over I give them a teaspoon of the regular grocery store stuff with the screw off cap. They pucker from the acidity. Then I pour them 1/4th of a teaspoon of the real stuff. They expect to pucker, but then smile because it is more sweet than acidy. Of course, if your friends don't know the difference, you can get the same non ABTM Balsamic Vinegar di Modena at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods in the USA, and give that to them. "
Perche, you are exactly right. I buy the 25 year old vinegar for the only one I know who truly appreciates it. My son appreciates great food more than anyone I know. His tiny bottle lasts about a year, so each year I buy a replacement. Due to the weak Euro, that bottle which was $100.00 a year ago, more recently was around $80.00. The tubes of white truffle paste are about 25 Euros. Those who love the flavor of white truffles will have just enough in that tube for a few good omelets or as an addition to risotto.

Last edited by obscure2k; Jan 8, 2017 at 10:00 am
Old Jan 8, 2017, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by obscure2k
[I] when I have friends over I give them a teaspoon of the regular grocery store stuff with the screw off cap. They pucker from the acidity. Then I pour them 1/4th of a teaspoon of the real stuff. They expect to pucker, but then smile because it is more sweet than acidy. Of course, if your friends don't know the difference, you can get the same I buy the 25 year old vinegar for the only one I know who truly appreciates it. My son appreciates great food more than anyone I know. His tiny bottle lasts about a year, so each year I buy a replacement. Due to the weak Euro, that bottle which was $100.00 a year ago, more recently was around $80.00. The tubes of white truffle paste are about 25 Euros. Those who love the flavor of white truffles will have just enough in that tube for a few good omelets or as an addition to risotto.
Exactly! Vinegar is certainly not a cheap gift, or even convenient to find in Italy. My little bottle also lasts about a year.
Old Jan 8, 2017, 6:10 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LAN COMODORO
Thanks for the tips guys, over 15 years with out going to Italy. I reneber my mon got at that time some Crystals and silver art.

I dont know if there is any "brands" that are cheap on Italy, for example ARMANI EXCHANGE is about 40 to 50% cheaper on Peru that on USA, SKETCHER is really cheap on Brasil also.

My father toll me that had a friend (He has some many "friends" that i dont believe in him any more hehehehe sorry) that buys and import, fashion brands from Italy that are really cheap because they clearance all last season items (if is true, i dont know if will be cheaper than an Outlet on Usa, like on Orlando)

Thanks
Old Jan 9, 2017, 8:31 am

Thanks for the tips guys, over 15 years with out going to Italy. I reneber my mon got at that time some Crystals and silver art.

I dont know if there is any "brands" that are cheap on Italy, for example ARMANI EXCHANGE is about 40 to 50% cheaper on Peru that on USA, SKETCHER is really cheap on Brasil also.

My father toll me that had a friend (He has some many "friends" that i dont believe in him any more hehehehe sorry) that buys and import, fashion brands from Italy that are really cheap because they clearance all last season items (if is true, i dont know if will be cheaper than an Outlet on Usa, like on Orlando)

Thanks
Going to Italy to spend the day going to outlets is a waste of a day. There is only one Italy. You can shop anywhere in the world. Go to an outlet when you go to Orlando to go to Disneyland.

There is a tour that specifically takes people to tour Italy just for the purpose of shopping, but at very high end outlets like Gucci, Prada, etc. But she knows what she is doing, is an expert, gets discounts, arranges the airline tickets, hotels, dining for the group, etc. If you haven't been to Italy before, wasting half a day to shop at an Armani Exchange is a waste of time and money.

Also, don't take this the wrong way, but you should know that not everyone who responds to posts on this forum is a guy.

Last edited by Perche; Jan 9, 2017 at 9:26 am
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Perche
In Rome you can find wonderful Catholic items of great worth at reasonable prices that won't fall apart on the way home, but not at the Vatican, where it's over 100 euros for a fairly decent rosary that would cost maybe 10-15 euros elsewhere. The only thing that doesn't make me feel guilty buying something there is to purchase Vatican related postcards in Rome, then go to the post office next to the Vatican store, buy a Vatican stamp, and send the postcard from there. The Vatican stamp and postmark are worth more than the hideously overpriced trinkets.
A very inexpensive gift I got my mom while in Roma many years ago. Bought a nice but inexpensive rosary, then had it blessed in St Peter's by one of the local priests. She loved it. Just a thought.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Perche
Exactly! Vinegar is certainly not a cheap gift, or even convenient to find in Italy. My little bottle also lasts about a year.

Sticker shock for sure. I was going to get small bottles for my neighbors a couple years ago. Figured it would be cheaper to just take them all out to a Michellin star restaurant.
Old Jan 9, 2017, 10:38 pm

Originally Posted by pbiflyer
A very inexpensive gift I got my mom while in Roma many years ago. Bought a nice but inexpensive rosary, then had it blessed in St Peter's by one of the local priests. She loved it. Just a thought.
That's a good way to do it. There is certainly personal and spiritual value to a believer who receives something blessed at the Vatican. It's a good idea to buy it elsewhere and bring it to the Vatican if you want the gift to be an overpriced, cheap toy, not something that will fall apart by the time you get home.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:28 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Good friends should appreciate whatever you bring them...it is the thought that counts ;-) and if it has a good story even better. Solid advice for the most part on watching out for Chinese (and Indian) knock-offs.

The Vatican is allowing a Hard Rock gift shop to move in soon, so you could get a Vatican Hurricane :-D

Be very careful buying any actual jewelry; one can stamp yellow metal as '22k' anytime, that does not make it real gold. And my first job was a in a jewelry store years ago, I have seen it first hand when people brought in fake garbage. Do lots of research if you intend to go that route. I can suggest some good places in Siracusa, Napoli and Catania but you are not headed South. I know one close enough to Venice though I have not been in their shop in 6 years (they used to be great). PM me if you go that route.
Old Jan 11, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: EX˛-*wood platinum, EX-hyatt diamond, sixt platinum, hilton silver, leaders club, esselunga verde...
Most the time I have a list what I have to bring...

Things from factory outlets, supermarkets, pharmacy etc. If I pass there I will bring it. The big no are bras and shoes!!!

If I make a gift it is more likely I will take good salume or parmigiano reggiano 36 mese or older. Sometimes even truffle. No problem so far because I don't fly most the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.